Admiting defeat...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ap2’s are not players irons. I game them. They’re an inbetweener.
What your describing is a weak ball flight. You need lessons to strengthen the flight by delivering better loft.
You don’t need to mess with shafts either or buy a new set of irons.

Buy all means though. If you’ve lost confidence in your clubs, and adamant it’s nothing a pro can’t sort. Buy GI clubs with jacked lofts. Everybody plays better for a week or two with new clubs.

Spieth plays ap2s

I'd say he's a player

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Spieth plays ap2s

I'd say he's a player

He is a player, but the clubs are not marketed as such.

Even then. Loft is loft. Doesn’t matter what club you have, shaft etc.
If the AP2 7iron is 34 deg and your path is 9 from the inside and the face is open slightly with a shallow attack angle you can expect crap whatever the club.
Get lessons. Learn to use the tools you’ve got.

Its still all between the tabs though and maybe some chunky looking shovels may appease the eye and transform the delivery of ones club.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What your describing is a weak ball flight. You need lessons to strengthen the flight by delivering better loft.

Buy all means though. If you’ve lost confidence in your clubs, and adamant it’s nothing a pro can’t sort. Buy GI clubs with jacked lofts. Everybody plays better for a week or two with new clubs.

sorry but I can't take anyone serious that say they "game" a golf club 😁

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats fine, I can’t take anyone’s opinion seriously when they claim AP2 will give you consistent flight and distance.
Again do you no think spieth claims this with his ap2s?

I know a 4 handicapper who plays ap2s

His distance is spot on

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Again do you no think spieth claims this with his ap2s?

I know a 4 handicapper who plays ap2s

His distance is spot on

Speith will say whatever titleist tells him to say since he’s on the payroll. He isn’t going to say they aren’t any good.
But he wouldn’t play the clubs if he didn’t like them. He’d play MB’s if he liked them. But he obviously does not.

I know a plus 2 capper and can be short or long. It’s strike dependant. Loft delivered.
The club does not provide consistency. The player does.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To be honest, playing off 21 I could not get on with Titliest APs, had two sets ( long story) swopped them for Pings and best thing I have done. Don't get me wrong, off 21 my swing can be all over the place, but when you hit one sweet it flies better than a Titliest ever did.
However Melly who stole the clubs off me for £150 smashes it miles and straight. He just loves them. For me it is all down to the individual and you have made the right decision getting rid of them if they are not right for you.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a short time i had plenty of iron sets...
MD graphite shafted, titleist 775 cb forged, ping g10, back to 775's and then rocketbladez courtesy of GM. I stuck with rbz for a while but they were just to springy for me especially bump and runs. I now have TM TP CB's which i hit well but shonky swing = inconsistency.

Ping G10 were by far the best for me off 22 or whatever i was but i hated the looks. In hindsight i should have gone for function over form!

So any G10's for swap? Haha

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'd actually agree with you they are in betweeners as they aren't blades but so many youtube reviews and from speaking to other people referring to them as players clubs is why I refer to them as that; not to mention quite a few tour pros playing them.

re: Lesson I have had a lot this year and my ball striking is still a work in progress. and I CAN deliver the ball well- like I said I just don't do it enough. Distances weren't all that different between 6 iron of AP2 and 7 iron AP1 because the lofts were the same- what was different was front and back dispersion because of strike. Spin and smash factor was better on AP1 too.

I've looked at a Trackman report from a few weeks ago:

Carry on AP2 6 iron was lowest carry 145.0, highest carry 160.4 (Quite a big difference). Ave. AoA -3.6. SS 85 MPH, BSL 5504. SF 1.30

I hit a lot of shots last night on AP1. Lowest carry 153.8, Highest carry 160. can't remember exact AoA but was roughly same I think. SS 82.9MPH backspin was about 5900-6000 and SF was up at 1.33-1.34

you're absolutely right though it is all down to me and my poor ball striking- trouble is with a new baby I just don't have as much time to practice my ball striking so moving to something that does give a bit more forgiveness is a no brainer.

They are obviously bigger than AP2 but wouldn't say they are shovels- the looks was the reason I wanted AP3 but again for most consistency I wasn't getting that (albeit more so than AP2)

Time will tell if I do improve with them- I will be able to measure it as using arcoss 360 which has told me my approach play is weakest part of my game- telling me my comparable handicap is 20.8 for approach shots.... whereas driving at 9.8 and putting 10.5 so will see if the new irons will bring that down and i'll hit more greens as at the moment only hit 22.22% in reg.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I went to Mizuno MP-4's in the spring last year. Short irons were sublime but the long irons were too good for me. I had had TP-9's many years ago and loved 'em. Obviously I'm not good enough now. The Mizzies lasted 6 months before I switched to Ping S55's, and I'm nailing the long irons again.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats fine, I can’t take anyone’s opinion seriously when they claim AP2 will give you consistent flight and distance.

what I'm saying is ap2 with a good golf swing will give you more consistent dispersion than a ap1. you only have to look at YouTube for the answers. oh and i mean distance dispersion not left to right.

if gi irons where superior then why don't all pros use them?

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what I'm saying is ap2 with a good golf swing will give you more consistent dispersion than a ap1. you only have to look at YouTube for the answers. oh and i mean distance dispersion not left to right.

if gi irons where superior then why don't all pros use them?

I always thought pro's used more "players" type Irons due to workability- control and feel?

Like you say I'm not a consistent enough ball striker and found AP1 more consistent for me- both previosu model I had and from testing the new model

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Good retort Sir.

Likewise I can't take a post seriously when they believe that the AP2 is less forgiving or more players biased than Ping iE irons.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good retort Sir.

Likewise I can't take a post seriously when they believe that the AP2 is less forgiving or more players biased than Ping iE irons.

so how would you compare the AP2 to a ping i series iron? level pegging?

the ping i series has a longer face, deeper face, thicker top line, wider sole and more offset. still comparable?

the ping i blade on the other hand......

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

it depends on what you need from an iron. the biggest drawbacks from gi irons is they launch too high for someone that's doesn't struggle to get the ball airborne. they're also incredibly inconsistent throughout the face. the ball speed drop off when comparing centre to off-centre strikes is massive.

with an ap2 your not going to get much help but they're Much more predictable on ball flight and distance

i dont know you or your game personally but at the beginning of this year you where still playing in the 20's. I'd say your jump was too soon. I'm playing off 7 and only just switched to the ap2 from ping ie irons

Blimey you did well considering you were giving up qualifiers and off 13 last year.

The AP2’s also have a lot of forgiveness in them - I believe due the use of tungsten in them the level of forgiveness in the new AP2 are the equivalent of the previous AP1’s .

There is also no exact model/science - I know some who plays of 2 and uses G15 and then a scratch player who uses X15 ( the Callaways). Westwood who is up there with the best ball strikers in the world uses the iEs and because the level of extra forgiveness in the AP’s then the difference in forgiveness between them and iE won’t be worlds apart and pretty comparable

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey you did well considering you were giving up qualifiers and off 13 last year.

The AP2’s also have a lot of forgiveness in them - I believe due the use of tungsten in them the level of forgiveness in the new AP2 are the equivalent of the previous AP1’s .

There is also no exact model/science - I know some who plays of 2 and uses G15 and then a scratch player who uses X15 ( the Callaways). Westwood who is up there with the best ball strikers in the world uses the iEs and because the level of extra forgiveness in the AP’s then the difference in forgiveness between them and iE won’t be worlds apart and pretty comparable

l always said I'll start competing again when i can compete in scratch comps. with the work I've put in this year i think next year might be the year. i tried a few recently but i just got destroyed.

to knock 6 shots off my handicap has been an epic task. i think i have a wife somewhere

D

Deleted member 15344

l always said I'll start competing again when i can compete in scratch comps. with the work I've put in this year i think next year might be the year. i tried a few recently but i just got destroyed.

even be off 6 if the css is high from Saturdays comp.

That’s a very good HC reduction in 12 months - must have had some very good Comp scores or using Opens to help ? They will help bring it down.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s a very good HC reduction in 12 months - must have had some very good Comp scores or using Opens to help ? They will help bring it down.

all cuts have come from handing my cards in from away fireservice comps. i shot a 74 gross which cut me alot

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Admiting defeat would be giving the game up.

Changing clubs to 'easier to hit' clubs is sensible.

Why do people get so worked up about which bracket of clubs they use?

I don't use hybrid type clubs as they don't appeal to my eye besides the ball at address.

Equally some players like to say they can hit iron X much further than normal and equally like to make a deal about they stiffness of shaft they use.

Simply put, play whatever makes you enjoy the game the best you can.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To get back to the OP, I think once you lose the love for a club it's very hard to get it back. Once that gnawing doubt is there it eats away at you.

That's the game for many of us. I switched to MP54s a while back from G15s and when I feel in control with my irons now it's like nothing I experienced before. Get it wrong and it's all wrong, but that's me, not the club. Having a smaller margin for error makes you focus more on the contact imo. It's a circular arguement from there but for me it comes down to what feels right and gives you confidence.