addressing the ball with driver

m1975

Club Champion
Visit site
I struggle with a slice with the big stick, played with someone yesterday who addressed the ball almost with the heel of the driver, I asked him why and he said it helps him bring club on the inside.
Been up to the range today to give it a go as I feel I am an over the top swinger and hey presto! Drives went much straighter and I felt club was squarer at impact.
Any one else address the ball slightly out of the heel? Or am I clutching at straws and imagining I hit it better?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Fuzzy Zeoller used to do it......

won 10 times incl The Masters and US Open

even with a fag in his mouth

[video=youtube_share;78ZfFjo2cxY]http://youtu.be/78ZfFjo2cxY[/video]

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and Zach Jonson goes to the other extreme and puts the toe behind the ball

I always address the ball with the driver like this, because I am resting the club on the ground at address. I figure as I am actually hitting off the tee that is an inch or so higher than the ground, when the club comes through at impact it will be in the centre. Makes sense to me.

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always address the ball with the driver like this, because I am resting the club on the ground at address. I figure as I am actually hitting off the tee that is an inch or so higher than the ground, when the club comes through at impact it will be in the centre. Makes sense to me.

Yes, this was pointed out to me a while back. Put the driver head level with the ball (hover the driver off the ground) then lower the driver to the floor and you will see the front is level with the ball.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

He looks like some guy who's been dragged out of a working men's club and been told to have a bash :D
Lovely swing mind, looks simple as owt to my untrained eye.

derm

Hacker
Visit site
looks more like a tee than a ciggy, must be working on it hitting his shoulder or hed have a big fagburn on his shirt

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That makes a lot of sense to me. I line up on the sweetspot with the head on the floor and hit mainly slightly toward the heel. I'll be trying this, thanks.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
many people address the ball in the heel of the driver with out even noticing. when the ball is teed up its easy to fall foul to an optical illusion. from their perspective (eyes 5/6 feet above the ball) its looks to be in the middle when in fact its slightly towards the heel.

get someone to take a photo of your address position to see if you are doing this.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Nice soft bend in the left arm in backswing. Fag in mouth a great aid to reduce tension.

I have played with my American Son at Zeoller's course in Indiana. We enjoyed it very much.