Adams hybrid opportunity

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion, the only potentially valid factor in determining eligibility should be whether the person subscribes to the magazine or not.

The opportunities arise because of future magazine articles, it's nothing to do with the forum, that's just a method of accessing readers easily and at short notice.

Im buying the mag for donkeys years , only joined the forum 2011, i dont subscribe as its a good bit dearer that way, but mag is on order every month in the news agents .. so i never miss a mag and i contribute to the forum but in your thoughts i shouldnt be considered ??

i enter any comp that suits what im after at that time , have never won any but am still greatfull to Mike and all the lads at GM for the opportunity .. some of the comps are nothing short of amazing ..

I think your mistaken its nothing to do with the forum , the GM boys & gals reward us for surveys , polls & opinions we give them , & if they want a broad range of opinions they will come on & ask , we are currently contributing to asking the pro's questions which contributes to the make up of the mag ..

Which would put those who pay cash every month at a disadvantage which is wrong.

Correct Martin

Another great comp (didnt enter as its not for me) good luck to ALL the winners looking forward to hearing how ye got on

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely subscribing is cheaper than paying every month? (£40 per annum versus 12 x £4.50 ish?) [EDIT - just seen you're in Ireland, so maybe that explains it.]

Anyway, my point was only that I don’t think there should be any discrimination between forum members, but if there were to be any, I think that’s the only potentially appropriate metric on the basis that surely GM would want to reward loyal customers and there is no way of knowing who pays cash every month.

Plus, I expect (but don’t know) that the profile of receipts from subscribers is preferred to those that pay cash, from a business perspective only, notwithstanding that those that pay cash are very important, if they all subscribed instead, that woud be even better.

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was going to say that for the extra €1.30 per month it might be worth it for a year to get hold of 12 Z-Stars. However, just seen that the Z-Stars is UK only!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
They should just put the names in a hat and take what comes out. Pays your price and takes your chances. Much like they should do for the Champions League and World cup draws. As they are rapidly getting to the point where the draw is being heavily manipulated to give the teams with the biggest TV audience the easiest chance to get to the final. After all what other reason is there to 'seed' teams. Brazil, Spain, Germany and Argentina in the same group, bring it on, I may watch some of the group games then.

Anyway, back to the golf, at least this time one of the mods didn't win which makes a nice change ;)

P. S I am joking...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would suspect that there is some input from the manufacturer as to the people that they want picked so, for example, they may want certain hanicaps so as they can display the full range of clubs and options. I would also assume that the information that you provide in your email is taken into account. I would have thought, for example, that someone who has just bought a new set of custom fit clubs would be less likely to be picked as they would see less benefit from the change. This is ,after all, marketing and so it would not look good if someone could not find a club from the manufacturer that was better than what they had. I think I have seen this once on an AG fitting where they could not find a fairway wood better than the one the forumer had so they fitted him for a hybrid. Afer that I am sure it is pretty random. Certainly time on the forum etc seems to have little bearing and GM appear to aim for an even spread so as nobody feels left out or feels they have no chance of being picked.

This is, however, guesswork as I have never been on one of the gear fitting events.

No matter who is picked, to me the main thing is that they remember that there is a tacit obligation to give something back with plenty of comment on here and even on social media sites etc. Always seems a bit ungrateful to me when people are picked, have a great day then disappear off with hardly a word. The manufacturers, I suspect, need to see something in return for these days to keep happening.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how this event goes and hope that Fish is sorted with some top clubs as he is partnering me in the invitation open at my club the following week.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
No matter who is picked, to me the main thing is that they remember that there is a tacit obligation to give something back with plenty of comment on here and even on social media sites etc. Always seems a bit ungrateful to me when people are picked, have a great day then disappear off with hardly a word. The manufacturers, I suspect, need to see something in return for these days to keep happening.

Good point there. I won one of those new adjustable Ping Scottsdale TR putters from a rival mag for a story about my admittedly very flukey hole in 1 story I sent in, and I was all over Twitter, thanking the mag, tweeting Ping to thank them, bigging up the putter (which by the way is very good, very stable, you can adjust it and the TR face really does seem to work;)).

So my 30 followers (20 of which are random people who I've never met and just follow me on the hope that I will refollow them) and 16 friends on Facebook certainly knew all about it! Possibly not the blanket coverage they had hoped for, but I put it out there.

The golf mag in question then retweeted a couple of my tweets to them to their many 1000s of followers and I started getting some abuse from a particularly bitter golfer and Celtic fan in Scotland (I looked at his tweets, boy was he a sad, bitter and twisted individual), who was calling me a liar and accusing me of making it all up! Charming I thought.

And it was not just one tweet either. I figured his life must be so sad that he resorted to abusing random people he had never met on twitter because they had a) got a hole in 1 and then b) won a putter because I was letter of the month in the mag with the story of said hole in 1. So in a way I pitied him, but also at the same time blocked him so I don't get tweets from him anymore. For all I know he may well be abusing me on a daily basis on twitter now.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I fear the worst for my driver, I can see me having to buy the adams driver for two reasons.

Those Idea CMB irons look good on the website. Expect I could not do those c-taper shafts justice though - good job :smirk:

What are your travel plans?

Hunka Turf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Adams are excellent clubs!

Couldn't agree more! Just got back from the fitting today. I'd never hit an Adams club before but they are excellent clubs. I was fitted for a 15 deg Super S 1 hybrid and Super DHYs in 18 and 21 deg. Lovely clubs, feel great off the face and good trajectory.

Thanks so much to GM and Adams. Had a great day and good to meet some forumers. Unfortunately I played like an absolute tool on the course but you can't have everything!

BubbaP

Visit site
Thanks to Paul and the GM team, plus of course Duncan and the Adams team for a great day.
After all meeting up at a hot and humid Studley Wood we took it in turns to go through the fitting.
This process involved us hitting our lowest lofted club before a hybrid or wood and then any hybrids or woods in our bag that were up for replacement – all in front of flightscope.
Duncan then went through the various head and shaft combos, with various lofts homing in on the gaps he felt worked and of course the ones that felt right. Although there were not additional shafts to mix and match there are a number of head options with shafts for them so plenty of options.
There was lots going on with some pictures with hitting and video clips to do after, it is a little bit of a blue. He Adams team thankfully kept us supplied with plenty of water.
After the fittings and some lunch we then had the chance to play the course. Duncan came along with us for 9 holes, bringing the various clubs that had been selected with him so we could if we wished hit them on the course. He brought a couple of drivers too.
It is probably fair to say the long day in the heat affected us all to a degree and the golf played was in and out, but fun. With some distances to travel the guys decided to halt after 9, so I soldiered on to keep the forum honour alive and complete the 18 holes – that and I wanted to see the 18th hole I had heard about. It was worth it. Great to meet the other forum members also.

BubbaP

Visit site
Bit more on my day, I went in with a 23 & 19 hybrids and a 16.5 four wood all in regular. A year or more ago I switched to a stiff driver (after a few quick scope sessions in some shops) and have been becoming happier with it. So was keen to see what shafts the fitting suggested. The current 19 hybrid has a shaft known to be quite firm and I have been hitting it well of late so was half expecting to be going in that direction. I have seemed to not be hitting the four wood as well as I used to and was seeing very little gap between it and the 19 recently.

The Super S hybrid seemed to fit well for me, and I was showing good numbers with the 22. The stiff shaft coupled with the head seemed to fly well and felt solid. After trying a number of options in the end we settled on another Super S 19 to stack against the existing 19 hybrid.

A few years back I had gone to a four wood on pro recommendation as I struggled to launch a 3 wood off the deck, but I felt my swing had moved on since so was looking forward to trying the 3. After a couple of balls I made a couple of strikes with the Super LS 15 degree which seemed to please the fitter a lot. Don’t remember the numbers but they felt good.

The Adams thing, as with most brands at the moment, is around how many yards gained, and after doing these calcs Duncan felt I should give the 17 hybrid a go. Seemed to hit it well so in the end he recommended the 22, 17 hybrids in Super S and the Super LS 15 fairway. The number they came up with was 80 yards! Didn’t really feel that I flushed any of my existing clubs early on but even so quite a shock. Looking forward to putting the mattes (they are not shiny!) in the bag and seeing if I can replicate on the course.