Ad-Hoc Comp Spreadsheet

Genu9

Visit site
Back during lockdown when we could play golf but not go in the Clubhouse I arranged a few ad-hoc competitions. The problem was how to collect the scores when ‘social distancing’ didn’t allow it. (even handling of others scorecards was taboo).

So, I devised a spread sheet in Google Sheet so that scores could be collected ‘online’. It started out as a simple ‘put the gross scores in’ and I’d covert them to Stableford points and published the winner(s).

Well over the last two years it grew out of all recognition as I included more and more options until today, I have an ‘Ad-Hoc Competition Spreadsheet’ that covers all various formats, (I think), WHS calculations, Course Slope etc. (including Mixed format)

I’ve used it successfully for various competitions that fall outside the normal ‘club’ systems, especially on awaydays where you can’t use any system. It has its limitations, I’ve only made it for 20 teams (80 Players), it relies on having a good 4G signal or WiFi connection and ideally works best on a Windows based PC, although it does work using Chromebook and Android.

I’d now like to share it (for free) with fellow golfers who could make use of it, I’m thinking Societies especially. Because of the nature of Google Sheets I can’t just post one link because people would be tripping over each other if they access the same file at the same time, so I need to send an individual link.

If you think you could make use of it, PM me and I’ll send you your own link. In the mean time you could view this presentation I created a while back. It has moved on quite considerably since then but you’ll get the idea.

Ad-hoc comp Video

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you thought about contacting an app-developer to turn it into a mobile app? You could even make some money off it.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back during lockdown when we could play golf but not go in the Clubhouse I arranged a few ad-hoc competitions. The problem was how to collect the scores when ‘social distancing’ didn’t allow it. (even handling of others scorecards was taboo).

So, I devised a spread sheet in Google Sheet so that scores could be collected ‘online’. It started out as a simple ‘put the gross scores in’ and I’d covert them to Stableford points and published the winner(s).

Well over the last two years it grew out of all recognition as I included more and more options until today, I have an ‘Ad-Hoc Competition Spreadsheet’ that covers all various formats, (I think), WHS calculations, Course Slope etc. (including Mixed format)

I’ve used it successfully for various competitions that fall outside the normal ‘club’ systems, especially on awaydays where you can’t use any system. It has its limitations, I’ve only made it for 20 teams (80 Players), it relies on having a good 4G signal or WiFi connection and ideally works best on a Windows based PC, although it does work using Chromebook and Android.

I’d now like to share it (for free) with fellow golfers who could make use of it, I’m thinking Societies especially. Because of the nature of Google Sheets I can’t just post one link because people would be tripping over each other if they access the same file at the same time, so I need to send an individual link.

If you think you could make use of it, PM me and I’ll send you your own link. In the mean time you could view this presentation I created a while back. It has moved on quite considerably since then but you’ll get the idea.

Ad-hoc comp Video

This is very impressive, I have to say. Will be DM'ing you!

Genu9

Visit site
Made some changes and improvements over the summer after using it for a few comps, last of which was a Shotgun Start so all the cards we coming in fast and furious.

Updated presentation with Audio. (have to use link as video files are too big.)

Part I 6-7 mins, Part II 8 mins, Part III 13 Mins. (Tried to put them in small chunks for ease of watching.)

Part I Video Link

Part II Video Link

Part III Video Link

Genu9

Visit site
Someone pointed out to me that I made a mistake in Part I audio. I said I was going to make it Stroke play and selected Stableford option.

Selection was right, words were wrong. What can I say? I'm getting older every day. Oops:rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you instead make a spreadsheet documenting which clubs allow you to change your shoes in the car park? Gap in the market there. :p

Genu9

Visit site
Not much Golf got played in December so I busied myself in converting the Google Sheets version of my AdHoc Comp into a standalone Excel version. Whilst the GS version interface and sharing is far superior to Excel, it does however require a reasonable Internet connection to be able to access it. The Excel version is available without any network connection as it resides on the device in use.

I've had to tweak a few things to enable score input and Leaderboard updates, but in general it functions exactly as the GS version. (see Links to video presentation in my previous post)

Can't remember who it was asked me if it worked on Excel, but the answer is now 'Yes it does".

There is an inherent danger in transferring software over to a different format but I think, having tested it as much as I did the original, it is ready to go.