Achievements - breaking 100, 90, etc - Gross or Net?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When a golfer claims to have broken 100, is that on gross shots or net (HC applied)?

If it's gross, then such an achievement by a high HC'er is better than a lower HC'er, but obviously harder to achieve.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually, I would expect it to refer to gross.

Years ago, where I play the secretary would not give you a handicap until you could repeatedly score better than 100 gross. (100-28 =72, 72 being par for a lot of courses.)

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
would you really want to shout about breaking 100 net ;)

HA HA!
I was thinking more of my son who plays off of 36 and doesn't play that often - thought that if I were to tell him that he broke 90 today (Net), it might spur him on to play more often!

BTW Fundy - where do you play?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
HA HA!
I was thinking more of my son who plays off of 36 and doesn't play that often - thought that if I were to tell him that he broke 90 today (Net), it might spur him on to play more often!

BTW Fundy - where do you play?

was at aylesbury vale until end of last year but trying to move ot the south coast (shouldve gone by now but havent) so gonna be nomadic for a bit, you?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aylesbury Park - as you may know, HS2 is going to go right through the middle of the course.
We have been told that we should be OK for 2018, but anything can change.

Aylesbury Vale is one of the courses that is on my list to try later this month as a possible new club if and when AP closes.
I've played 3 locks a few times and quite like it.

Have you played any others in the area and have any recommendations?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aylesbury Park - as you may know, HS2 is going to go right through the middle of the course.
We have been told that we should be OK for 2018, but anything can change.

Aylesbury Vale is one of the courses that is on my list to try later this month as a possible new club if and when AP closes.
I've played 3 locks a few times and quite like it.

Have you played any others in the area and have any recommendations?

couple of guys on here from AP went to Whipsnade which is worth a look. AVGC has really suffered this winter, being on clay its been closed an awful lot, that said great crowd of guys there. 3 Locks wouldnt be my choice, members dont seem to come first to the owners

Leighton Buzzard a bit marmite imo, couple of members from there on here too

one of the big advantages of moving out of the area is this is one of the worst areas you could be a golfer lol