Accidentally stood on my ball

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have pick and place at our club all season and have a old boy that instead of bending down to place his ball he taps it a few times with his club to position it?
I take you only return qualifying scores in the winter and don’t run any stroke play comps on the summer?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not exactly "my" principle [/B]:) It's the very first statement in the Rules;

RULE 1.1
Golf is played in a round of 18 (or fewer) holes on a course by striking a ball with a club.

The Rules allow you sometimes to move your ball to play from a different spot or to return it to the same spot. There is a penalty for moving it other than with by a stroke with a club when the rules don't allow it. The penalty is intended to compensate for the any potential gain, not necessarily an actual gain (which is what Orikuro is misunderstanding). Accidental movement such as kicking or standing on the ball is penalised with one stroke which indicates that it's not considered to be likely to lead to a significant gain if it went uncorrected. Where there is a more significant potential gain, the penalty is two strokes or loss of hole.
One of the drawbacks of brevity. I should have said '... I like Colin's explanation ...'

After that, of course, there are variations, exceptions, special circumstances, etc. But basically, hit it with a club, dont move it with anything else, otherwise you'll cop it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I take you only return qualifying scores in the winter and don’t run any stroke play comps on the summer?

We have one club length pick and place all year and yes we do play all competitions with this rule.

It’s been like that ever since the club was formed in fact it used to be 2 club lengths relief.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hardly bizarre imo. After all, 'you' stuck it there - pretty much a fundamental tenet of the game! It's your choice to take the penalty for a better lie (or play it as it lies).

The times I’ve seen this happen it would be impossible to play it as it lies as it’s plugged that deep that’s why I think it’s harsh

We can take a free drop if a ball is plugged in the rough so what’s the difference ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have one club length pick and place all year and yes we do play all competitions with this rule.

It’s been like that ever since the club was formed in fact it used to be 2 club lengths relief.

That's remarkable. Even if you have permission to have preferred lies all year round, a club length means you can't return competition or general play scores for handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's remarkable. Even if you have permission to have preferred lies all year round, a club length means you can't return competition or general play scores for handicap.
Is Riburnside actually in GB&I? I thought he was from Mississippi.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always as

I think we must have special dispensation to do this as its always been this way

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The times I’ve seen this happen it would be impossible to play it as it lies as it’s plugged that deep that’s why I think it’s harsh
Peculiar allowances for your club notwithstanding, it' 'your fault', just as it if you duff it into water!
We can take a free drop if a ball is plugged in the rough so what’s the difference ?
That's an allowance - normally temporary - for abnormal conditions and should not be permanent. And the anomoly you raise is precisely why such allowances should not be permanent.

Steven Rules

Visit site
That was specifically forbidden under the pre-2019 rules with a 1-stroke penalty for "rolling it with a club". Although the 2019 rules don't specifically mention "rolling it with a club" as being forbidden, it does say that the ball must be placed on the spot selected.

Interpretation Replace/1 - Ball May Not Be Replaced with a Club

For a ball to be replaced in a right way, it must be set down and let go. This means the player must use his or her hand to put the ball back in play on the spot it was lifted or moved from.

For example, if a player lifts his or her ball from the putting green and sets it aside, the player must not replace the ball by rolling it to the required spot with a club. If he or she does so, the ball is not replaced in the right way and the player gets one penalty stroke under Rule 14.2b(2) (How Ball Must Be Replaced) if the mistake is not corrected before the stroke is made

D

Deleted member 29109

Eh, who does that?
??‍♂️
39367-DE1-ED38-4279-A40-E-40-E8345635-EF.jpg