Accidentally stood on my ball

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had found it but it was sitting down and not so easy to see, then carelessly stood on it as I sorted out the shot I was going to play.

The rule fairly recently changed to ‘No Penalty’ if I stood on it while looking for it. But as I had found it I am thinking penalty, but though I had found it, could I reasonably say that I subsequently lost track of where it was when I then stood on it.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice try, but no.

Could you honestly say that you were aware that you had lost track of where your ball was, then started looking and then stood on it? I think not.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hang on.. there's a penalty for standing on your own ball?? ? Why?? What could you possibly gain from doing that??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had found it but it was sitting down and not so easy to see, then carelessly stood on it as I sorted out the shot I was going to play.

The rule fairly recently changed to ‘No Penalty’ if I stood on it while looking for it. But as I had found it I am thinking penalty, but though I had found it, could I reasonably say that I subsequently lost track of where it was when I then stood on it.
Indeed, Penalty.
The 'stood on while searching' event/state is over.
No different to doing the same when ball on fairway in clear view.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hang on.. there's a penalty for standing on your own ball?? ? Why?? What could you possibly gain from doing that??

I'm sure you will be familiar with Rule 9.4b and know that there's a penalty for accidentally causing your ball to move (except on the putting green). The characterising feature of golf is that you move your ball with a club not your foot or anything else. Whether you gain anything from standing on or kicking your ball accidentally is immaterial.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Standing on your ball and compressing it into the ground = no gain, quite the opposite

Standing on your ball and 'accidentally 'moving it as you lift your foot = potentially a nice gain

How can you judge between one or the other? An honest person knows but not everyone is honest and so the rule has to cover all.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure you will be familiar with Rule 9.4b and know that there's a penalty for accidentally causing your ball to move (except on the putting green). The characterising feature of golf is that you move your ball with a club not your foot or anything else. Whether you gain anything from standing on or kicking your ball accidentally is immaterial.
Surely Rule 7.4 applies initially in this case?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Standing on your ball and compressing it into the ground = no gain, quite the opposite

Standing on your ball and 'accidentally 'moving it as you lift your foot = potentially a nice gain

How can you judge between one or the other? An honest person knows but not everyone is honest and so the rule has to cover all.
Maybe, seems unlikely though. Golf is the game that keeps on giving I guess. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf is a game of rules - it appears you struggle with that concept
Oh there's rules are there? Cheers I never realised.

I just like to find out why a particular rule is the way it is, that's all. I have an inquisitive mind. A penalty for accidentally standing on your own ball and trampling it into the mud just sounds hilarious as I couldn't process why anyone would want to do that. :LOL: @Lord Tyrion gave me the best answer though instead of partaking in the usual pile-on.

Leftitshort

Visit site
No pile on, just concerning you can play in comps with not even a basic understanding of the rules. What’s worse is a potential disregard of the rules because your common sense overrides them

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh there's rules are there? Cheers I never realised.
Yep you have show that consistently

I just like to find out why a particular rule is the way it is, that's all. I have an inquisitive mind.

Because the governing body of the sport have decided it’s a rule - the same with every sport when rules are decided

A penalty for accidentally standing on your own ball and trampling it into the mud just sounds hilarious as I couldn't process why anyone would want to do that. :LOL: @Lord Tyrion gave me the best answer though instead of partaking in the usual pile-on.

Surely “accidental” means that someone didn’t mean it ?

And when someone moves their ball with their feet there is a chance that someone could end up improving their lie

But the worrying thing is you are playing comps etc and been playing a while yet appear to have a lack of concept of the rules

Hence why I provided the link to the rules and suggest going through them before playing comps again