Accidentally stood on my ball

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not exactly "my" principle :) It's the very first statement in the Rules;

RULE 1.1
Golf is played in a round of 18 (or fewer) holes on a course by striking a ball with a club.

The Rules allow you sometimes to move your ball to play from a different spot or to return it to the same spot. There is a penalty for moving it other than with by a stroke with a club when the rules don't allow it. The penalty is intended to compensate for the any potential gain, not necessarily an actual gain (which is what Orikuro is misunderstanding). Accidental movement such as kicking or standing on the ball is penalised with one stroke which indicates that it's not considered to be likely to lead to a significant gain if it went uncorrected. Where there is a more significant potential gain, the penalty is two strokes or loss of hole.

We have pick and place at our club all season and have a old boy that instead of bending down to place his ball he taps it a few times with his club to position it?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kindly id a few of the 'bizarre' ones you've encountered. Personally, I find them pretty logical.

One ‘ bizarre’ rule I find harsh is when you take a shot duff it and the ball plugs where you hit it from and then you are penalized with a one shot penalty

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have pick and place at our club all season and have a old boy that instead of bending down to place his ball he taps it a few times with his club to position it?
I don't know the history of the LCP rule but I have seen many senior players doing just that. Perhaps it was permitted in the dim and distant past.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One ‘ bizarre’ rule I find harsh is when you take a shot duff it and the ball plugs where you hit it from and then you are penalized with a one shot penalty
Hardly bizarre imo. After all, 'you' stuck it there - pretty much a fundamental tenet of the game! It's your choice to take the penalty for a better lie (or play it as it lies).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't know the history of the LCP rule but I have seen many senior players doing just that. Perhaps it was permitted in the dim and distant past.
Give it sufficient time (and degredation of joints and back) and you'll work out why it happens. :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough. Personally I liked Colin's - fundamental principle of the game is that you only move the ball with a club. So there's a penalty so that you don't move it with anything else.
I guess my point was that accidentally standing on it, is not equivalent to deliberately kicking it, in my mind. But in the rules they are. I do understand that they can't really bend rules for 'accidents' though since people will claim everything is an accident. As LT explained rather succinctly.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess my point was that accidentally standing on it, is not equivalent to deliberately kicking it, in my mind. But in the rules they are. I do understand that they can't really bend rules for 'accidents' though since people will claim everything is an accident. As LT explained rather succinctly.

There is a big difference between accidentally causing your ball to move and deliberately moving it. Could there be any other purpose to deliberately moving it than to gain an advantage by getting a better place to play from? That's a different kind of rules breach with a rather different outcome.

Swango1980

Visit site

That is true, and I'm pretty sure the penalties that apply to both are different. A player deliberately kicking their ball is not going to be subject to a "trivial" one shot penalty. They'll get DQed and probably banned from competing for a period of time (maybe permanently).

I can just imagine you arguing this rule with someone after accidentally doing the same yourself, before you prepare to play your next shot from beyond the line between two out of bounds posts :) .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is true, and I'm pretty sure the penalties that apply to both are different. A player deliberately kicking their ball is not going to be subject to a "trivial" one shot penalty. They'll get DQed and probably banned from competing for a period of time (maybe permanently).

I can just imagine you arguing this rule with someone after accidentally doing the same yourself, before you prepare to play your next shot from beyond the line between two out of bounds posts :) .
lol, you keep imagining that if you like. :p

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The Rule for accidentally moving your ball in play applies to all accidental movement, it does not depend on whether there was an advantage gained or a disadvantage resulted.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt very much if that was the case - though you may well have (mis-)interpreted it that way! That would be no surprise!:rolleyes:
See here. I was talking about standing on your ball, as per the OP, he responds with kicking it, and in the previous post mentioned improving your lie. So clearly implying they're the same thing.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

That was specifically forbidden under the pre-2019 rules with a 1-stroke penalty for "rolling it with a club". Although the 2019 rules don't specifically mention "rolling it with a club" as being forbidden, it does say that the ball must be placed on the spot selected.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was specifically forbidden under the pre-2019 rules with a 1-stroke penalty for "rolling it with a club". Although the 2019 rules don't specifically mention "rolling it with a club" as being forbidden, it does say that the ball must be placed on the spot selected.
pre 2019 isn't quite what I meant by the dim and distant :unsure:;)