Accents

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
There is one mutation that I find puzzling.

The L mutating to a W at the end, or near the end, of words.

Milk sounding like miwk, etc
I'm sure that I did not hear this in my childhood, but it seems very widespread today.
Is it part of a regional accent that has caught on across the country?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Gaah-stang accent, apparently.

Haha I grew up about 3 miles away from Garstang and live about 10 miles away now. That blokes is a proper old school accent, a lot of the older heads sound just like that - my dad's is similar having lived there (pronounced more like they're) all his liiiiife.

The younger generation locals still sound very broad but not as drawn out as that gents.

RichA

Visit site
There is one mutation that I find puzzling.

The L mutating to a W at the end, or near the end, of words.

Milk sounding like miwk, etc
I'm sure that I did not hear this in my childhood, but it seems very widespread today.
Is it part of a regional accent that has caught on across the country?
It's definitely a common thing down here in Herts/Essex/Eastend overspill land - not just the yoof either. I think it might be an Estuary English characteristic.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Haha I grew up about 3 miles away from Garstang and live about 10 miles away now. That blokes is a proper old school accent, a lot of the older heads sound just like that - my dad's is similar having lived there (pronounced more like they're) all his liiiiife.

The younger generation locals still sound very broad but not as drawn out as that gents.
Huh? They are both pronounced the same, as is their

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
16th Jan, so 18days time, sees me 40yrs living out of Glasgow in the south of England - Bristol then Surrey, and I‘m regularly told that I haven't lost my accent.

And it’s true that most folk manage to place me Glasgowish, but are often unsure, as I don’t really have what most would ‘characterise’ as a Glasgow accent. That’ll be for two reasons. Even though brought up originally fairly centrally we moved to a posh suburb when I was 7 where accents were more varied and not so strong, plus as my parents were from the Highlands and Western Isles as are all my relatives, I developed a softer lilt you don‘t get in Glaswegian.

However when I moved to England I had to slow down my speaking as my work colleagues and Bristolians found me very difficult to understand (quite). Other than that I‘ve made no effort that I’m aware of to change my accent (though I have dropped a lot of dialect) so not sure how I’d go about losing it…👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
16th Jan, so 18days time, sees me 40yrs living out of Glasgow in the south of England - Bristol then Surrey, and I‘m regularly told that I haven't lost my accent.

And it’s true that most folk manage to place me Glasgowish, but are often unsure, as I don’t really have what most would ‘characterise’ as a Glasgow accent. That’ll be for two reasons. Even though brought up originally fairly centrally we moved to a posh suburb when I was 7 where accents were more varied and not so strong, plus as my parents were from the Highlands and Western Isles as are all my relatives, I developed a softer lilt you don‘t get in Glaswegian.

However when I moved to England I had to slow down my speaking as my work colleagues and Bristolians found me very difficult to understand (quite). Other than that I‘ve made no effort that I’m aware of to change my accent (though I have dropped a lot of dialect) so not sure how I’d go about losing it…👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I left Surrey in 1988. 20 ish years in Wiltshire and then 15 in Wales. Additionally, shorter periods in Glasgow, Warwick and Gloucester.

My accent hasn't changed.... I think 🤣

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I left Surrey in 1988. 20 ish years in Wiltshire and then 15 in Wales. Additionally, shorter periods in Glasgow, Warwick and Gloucester.

My accent hasn't changed.... I think 🤣
Sorry can you repeat that ? ;)

When I first moved to the London area I pronounced Berkshire as it looks same for Esher
I got some very strange looks.

I got many compliments on my Edinburgh Scots accent. [Sean Connery/Nicky Campell style]
Working in Golf it did not do me any harm at all.