A-Z vinyl collection

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just dropping in to say well done for completing the alphabet. Also top marks to Richart for coming up with something like this to pass the time in these uncertain times ?. Been nice seeing the passion, and the memories evoked by music, whatever your preferred poison.

P.S. SILH am pretty sure vinyl didn't stop in 1991 ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just dropping in to say well done for completing the alphabet. Also top marks to Richart for coming up with something like this to pass the time in these uncertain times ?. Been nice seeing the passion, and the memories evoked by music, whatever your preferred poison.

Thanks to everyone for getting involved. 26 days of lockdown passed a little quicker, and some interesting vinyl played. I have narrowed down forumers that are as old as me from their musical taste. Take care old boys, Hobbit, Drive4Show and SILH.:eek::)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I think it went into fairly deep hibernation around 1991...

Though I’ve nothing after that year I don’t recall vinyl just not being there as the CD kicked in big time. But at some point it did pretty much disappear - and I haven’t much feel at all for when that was. But it’s back - which is nice - though I haven’t bought much new - my sole ‘new era’ vinyl purchase being the first Public Service Broadcasting EP.

just reading a bit on the decline - vinyl singles kept going well through the 90s - it was the popular album market that went into hibernation...

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for getting involved. 26 days of lockdown passed a little quicker, and some interesting vinyl played. I have narrowed down forumers that are as old as me from their musical taste. Take care old boys, Hobbit, Drive4Show and SILH.:eek::)
Funny how often our tastes in music and what we had bought back then aligned - could that and the fact of us being golfers be in some way related..??

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of the stuff, I hadn't played or heard in years. Generally I made my own choices - but on the days I had got anything, I streamed Richart's choice (mostly good but on the odd occasion I'd claim his taste was questionable :) ) Let's just hope this doesnt go on long enough for us to go all the way through the alphabet a second time!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I think it went into fairly deep hibernation around 1991...

Though I’ve nothing after that year I don’t recall vinyl just not being there as the CD kicked in big time. But at some point it did pretty much disappear - and I haven’t much feel at all for when that was. But it’s back - which is nice - though I haven’t bought much new - my sole ‘new era’ vinyl purchase being the first Public Service Broadcasting EP.

just reading a bit on the decline - vinyl singles kept going well through the 90s - it was the popular album market that went into hibernation...

Yeah that would make sense, more for albums. On the sister A to Z thread (the slightly younger and cooler one! - only kidding guys :) ) there is plenty of vinyl going late into the 90s.

Incidentally, for a bit of a nerd moment - the same song/track was actually posted on the same day on both threads which was a bit of a co-incidence. This thread was on "R", and you posted Wishing On A Star. The other thread was on "F" that day and it mentioned the UK/Bristolian interpretation (Fresh 4) of the same song 12 years or so later.

Anyway, back to talking about when the golf courses might open again... :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was a teenager we relied upon our parents to supply the record player (gramaphone). My mum made the odd decision of selling it and having one of the newfangled tape recorder instead .

When my bother got married he took all the records with him despite my protestations that many were mine. About 10 years ago I found it he had given them all to a charity shop. Many were first release Beatles albums and similar!! My biggest annoyance was that he had given away my Yardbirds with Eric Clapton album. He often argued that it was his and would not give to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I was a teenager we relied upon our parents to supply the record player (gramaphone). My mum made the odd decision of selling it and having one of the newfangled tape recorder instead .

When my bother got married he took all the records with him despite my protestations that many were mine. About 10 years ago I found it he had given them all to a charity shop. Many were first release Beatles albums and similar!! My biggest annoyance was that he had given away my Yardbirds with Eric Clapton album. He often argued that it was his and would not give to me.
My younger sister had a habit of lending my albums to all and sundry...and I lost a few. Most hurting were my two Alan Parsons Project albums disappearing. I'm sure others did also but the pain of their loss was less than losing APP. Anyway none of the APP albums would most likely have made my choices - though I Robot and Tales of Mystery and Imagination were (IIRC) pretty good. My nod to APP was that my favourite 'R' was Looking Over my Shoulder by Chris Rainbow - one of the main vocalists on APP albums....

Babyliss

Visit site
In Dutch doing a literal translation van is usually used in the middle as per your example and means of e.g son of the father

It gets moved around in some languages e.g you may have Van der... Of the.

I very often come across incorrect translation, especially through online translators
In Dutch doing a literal translation van is usually used in the middle as per your example and means of e.g son of the father

It gets moved around in some languages e.g you may have Van der... Of the.

I very often come across incorrect translation, especially through online translators

jonnywood

Visit site
Only song I recall of theirs, without looking, is Bedside Radio.....I think that's on the album...
You should use the wall mounted bedside table because it is suitable place for bedside radio and you always enjoying the with it. It also increases the beauty of lovely room.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Missed this, I’m still trying to rebuild my vinyl collection as I sold so many albums every time I came on leave for beer money, which with the revival of vinyl, I now regret so much, but with a new system I now enjoy playing what albums I have again, and I’m still cleaning many of them with all the stuff I bought when I got my new system.

Any links or advice as to where to buy albums with confidence.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Missed this, I’m still trying to rebuild my vinyl collection as I sold so many albums every time I came on leave for beer money, which with the revival of vinyl, I now regret so much, but with a new system I now enjoy playing what albums I have again, and I’m still cleaning many of them with all the stuff I bought when I got my new system.

Any links or advice as to where to buy albums with confidence.

Discogs.com

I buy loads from here (and sell too). Simple marketplace system. All items are graded from Poor to Mint (as are the sleeves) and you can research the seller on their feedback (good for if you want to get an idea of their grading accuracy).

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Been buying vinyl for about 3 or 4 years now, have amassed a collection in the region of 250 odd so decided it was time to upgrade my turntable, just bought an AudioTechnica LP120 X, going by reviews a big improvement to my existing AT LP60 X.

Would agree with Greig about discogs, great place to buy records, I also use it to catalogue and value my collection, I also buy a fair bit from eBay, once bought a joblot of 60 LP's, ended up keeping about 25-30 and selling the rest individually, ended up getting more back than I paid so basically got the one's I kept for free :cool:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been buying vinyl for about 3 or 4 years now, have amassed a collection in the region of 250 odd so decided it was time to upgrade my turntable, just bought an AudioTechnica LP120 X, going by reviews a big improvement to my existing AT LP60 X.

Would agree with Greig about discogs, great place to buy records, I also use it to catalogue and value my collection, I also buy a fair bit from eBay, once bought a joblot of 60 LP's, ended up keeping about 25-30 and selling the rest individually, ended up getting more back than I paid so basically got the one's I kept for free :cool:

Only thing on the Audio Technica, I trialled the LP120 a year or so ago, there is an audible rotation hum from the DD motor that's a result of the integrated pre-amp.
I ditched it immediately and went to the LP5. The 120 will definitely be an upgrade on the LP60 bit I couldn't cope with the rotation hum.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Only thing on the Audio Technica, I trialled the LP120 a year or so ago, there is an audible rotation hum from the DD motor that's a result of the integrated pre-amp.
I ditched it immediately and went to the LP5. The 120 will definitely be an upgrade on the LP60 bit I couldn't cope with the rotation hum.

Don't need the pre-amp so hope that sorts that out, also won't hear it over Motorhead being played at full tilt :ROFLMAO:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't need the pre-amp so hope that sorts that out, also won't hear it over Motorhead being played at full tilt :ROFLMAO:

Its the presence of the preamp, not whether you actually use it. Many LP120 users have removed the preamp and are left with a pretty decent TT for the money.
Louder you go with it, the louder the hum seemed to get. I could hear it when listening to some pretty hardcore gabber at high volume.

It will still be a million miles better than the 60 though.

Temeura

Visit site
In addition to using Discogs to find records, I am a member of a few Vinyl raffle groups on Facebook and it is quite a fun way to get hold of new records.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was very fortunate when I popped into a local charity shop a few years back. The manager wanted rid of her vinyl stored out back. I went through a door to find boxes of vinyl stacked to the ceiling. She said I could have any album for 50p. I picked up about 200 over four visits, sneaking them through the door hoping my Mrs didn't notice my collection expanding. Still haven't listened to them all...though got some crackers - and was able to fill the huge gaps in my 1970s/80s rock/prog vinyl - plus some great 60s/70s pop, jazz and folk. Nothing of any great value - the most valuable probably being an original (mono) Rubber Soul (1965) and original Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1959?)

I love the idea of using Discogs to catalogue my vinyl collection...will see how best to do that...it will take me yonks though

Last edited: