A year to get fit and less fat

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe not even have it as a comp, I think pay to enter to have your stats up and all the money for H4H! Use it as a support network, ideas , tips menus etc etc, people have to chose to do this for them selves. Having a pot of money at the end seems irrelevant, this is about making a serious life change with some like minded idiots around you to pick u up when down, praise you when you achieve a goal and of course banter to death anyone that wears Lycra (I just bought some running tights today!)

I agree about a generic template and you fill in your bits relevant to you. Once we get say twenty people, could categorise people into similar groups, ie diet only, walkers, runners, cyclists, weights etc and buddy up. Happy to help if I can,

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
So now we have to pay?

No, it was an idea put forward, but I think that as long as there are a few of us willing to give it a go and as Rooter wrote above, help each other to achieve our goals, the support, pee taking, advice etc will be enough to get us through.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah I'm in.
Personally I think all we need is a list of names and our individual goals. We're only competing against ourselves.

So here's me :
Starting weight 93kg
Goals : 85kg and to look good wearing two shirts which are currently far too "snug" around the belly :D

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay I've got series of graphs sorted in Excel on my PC I suggest the following metrics, add your data to as many or as few as you want, depending on your goals. If losing some fat is you goal then a starting weight is required, if you're just after a general tone up, then perhaps the 4 body measurements would be the way to go.

If anyone wants another goal tracking than let me know and I'll add it in.

So the metrics I have graphs for are :-

Weight - (kg or lbs, your choice, as long as you use the same through out)
% Body Fat - (if you have a set of scales that tells you your body fat% or if you can get to a machine that will measure body fat)
Neck - (Take measurement in CM)
Chest - (Take measurement in CM)
Waist - (Take measurement in CM)
Hip - (Take measurement in CM)

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think all attempts to get fit/lose weight could be summed up in 4 words 'eat less, exercise more'. The whole diet industry has build up around trying to get people to do that.
Is exactly correct. It really all boils down to burning more calories than you eat.
On the eating late thing, I have a theory. A personal trainer once told me that your body continues to burn calories after you finish excercising, in effect it continues to work out. So I decided to run (and walk) on my treadmill just before bedtime in the hope that my body would continue its work out while I slept. Genius! This also has the added benefit of stopping me snacking during the late evening while watching TV and I am not knackered all day as I would be if I ran in the morning. I am not sure how well this works, but I have lost 10lbs in 14 days.
Basically, as said already, I don't think it matters when you eat or when you excercise, as long as you continually burn more calories than you eat.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
So far the 10 forumers below have all committed to giving the challenge a go, just need your starting weight and/or measurements, got some but not all.

Khamelion
Pauldj42
Hobbit
Rooter
Paperboy
Bazzatron
The poacher
Adiemel
Sweep

The forumers below have at some point replied in this post saying they are up for it, but as yet not made a commitment to taking part

GB72
PokerJoke
FarneyMan
RickG
Virtuocity
Bladeplayer
Slicer30
Marshy77

With the below two, seeming interested but very non-committal, go on you know it'll do you good.

Imurg
Liverpool Phil

Come on, you know you want to, you be fitter, leaner, healthier, I have no doubt your golf will improve, you may even get rid of some of the aches and pains you have, as you'll be carrying less weight around.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave went down to boots today and went on one of their body mass machines this to me is an accurate measurement that can be taken periodically.

I don't believe they are totally accurate but mine was.

Weight 14st 4
Height 6ft

B.M.I 27.4
B.Fat 25.7
B.Fat.Mass 23.3

Which for a 49 year old was between excellent and good.

Will be looking to get to about 20 but have no idea what that will take to achieve.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is all about diet for me to start with as my knee is totalled at the moment so any exercise is a no no until i am fit enough to walk let alone anything else.
i would like to lose around three stone in total but will settle for two in a year as a reachable target.[ currently around 191/2 stone at the moment so 17 ish would be my goal.]

Last edited: