A year to get fit and less fat

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I decided iI need to be a bit fitter for the trump/carnastie trip next year so started running a couple of months ago. Managed my first half marathon last weekend, not an organised one but just running round a lane I live on a few times on my own. No idea about my weight, just doing it to feel better really.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in, not about weight for me, but fitness and toning. I prob have up to a stone to shift, but would be happy at the same weight if that extra pounds converted to muscle. 11st 9 at last weigh in. Q

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great idea and good luck with your quest.

Here's a top tip for you. If you have sugar in your tea and coffee reduce it and eventually.cut it out completely.

Trust me you will lose half a stone in a year doing that alone, assuming you drink a lot of tea and coffee like me.

Totally agree with that.
I did this about 6 months ago after reading Eddy Izzard's comments.
I found it surprisingly easy but I only took a half teaspoon of sugar in hot drinks.
Went from 78k to 73k in 3 months. First time I was below 75k for 25 years.
I also try not to eat anything after 7pm.

Most sugar sold nowadays is from beet, if you have to take it make sure it is cane.
Beet generally has a lot of chemical stuff sprayed on it, cane does not.

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be up for this.

To make it more competitive, you could have all entrants commit to a, say, £10 entry fee.

Winner is the person who loses the biggest percentage of weight, or biggest percentage of BMI. Winner then receives half the pot, with the remainder going to H4H?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can we start from September 30?
After looking a dog in everything I put on that morning, I decided it was time to do something about it. I weighed in at 14 stone (94.23kgs). In one week I lost half a stone. 800 calories a day intake and a 5 mile run every night combined with resistance band training.
I do realise it's too extreme and I can't keep this up and I am a bit knackered to be honest :)
I lost 3 stone in 4 months four years ago and it was good for me. Sure I put some of it back on but when I started this diet I was still a stone lighter than I was 4 years ago. I am 6'2" by the way, so not obese :D

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant idea Virtuocity!

I'm happy to help out with anyone who needs it, diet plan, exercise plan etc.

What you eat and when you eat is super important. The after 6pm no eating is a massive factor, although hard to do this is one of your biggies. If you do have to, make sure it's healthy snacks and not a big meal.

Reducing your intake of sugar (you have to look into everything you eat, as it's everywhere!)

switch to plain porridge with fruits and seed on top (you'll learn to love it soon enough)
Swapping a bowl of sugary breakfast cereal for plain cereal cuts out 70g of sugar (up to 22 sugar cubes) from your diet over a week.
Never skip breakfast, include protein and healthy fats in as many of your meals as possible.
Cook more food from scratch, ready made sauces and such are full of salt and sugar.
Learn to know your labels, its tedious at the beginning but so important

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm 5' 10" and 82kg. I feel a wee bit chunky and I'm a 34" waist. I used to be a 28" waist. I ran 10k a week and cycled 16miles on a sunday morning, used to play basketball for Glasgow and ate what my body told me to eat. If I had a thought in my head about what I wanted I went for it.

Now after not really exercising for 2 years I'm just going back to the creating a calorie defecate everyday, with a sharp hillwalk every week to clear out the cardio cobwebs. I'm a firm believer in taking the same amount of time to lose weight as it was to put in on. For me that's two years.

So many mental folk do crash diets and all that rubbish. Just eat less.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aye but if someone eats 3000 calories worth of salad in a day they are still going to get fat.

But that would be eating more based on the assumption they were eating 3000 calories of burgers and sausage rolls etc over 3 meals per day.. Point i was making is, you dont need to eat less food, just better foods. Yes portion control is important, but cutting meals is not good (not that you mentioned that!)

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But that would be eating more based on the assumption they were eating 3000 calories of burgers and sausage rolls etc over 3 meals per day.. Point i was making is, you dont need to eat less food, just better foods. Yes portion control is important, but cutting meals is not good (not that you mentioned that!)

Indeed. A lot can be said for using smaller plates, and measuring out your portions. I do it every night. Making pastas I use a mug of dry pasta for both of us. Pour the pasta into the mug then fire it in the pot. I think a lot of folk make the mistake of eating to their full on every meal, then have to throw away stuff at the end. My neighbours food waste bin is a joke. We hardly have ours out.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed. A lot can be said for using smaller plates, and measuring out your portions. I do it every night. Making pastas I use a mug of dry pasta for both of us. Pour the pasta into the mug then fire it in the pot. I think a lot of folk make the mistake of eating to their full on every meal, then have to throw away stuff at the end. My neighbours food waste bin is a joke. We hardly have ours out.

Good tip i was told once, stop eating when you stop feeling hungry. If i had the time to prep, i would eat 5 small meals per day.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good to hear im not the only one ha , have to do something this year just fed up being over weight & low energy .. just need to get rear end in gear & get started

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good tip i was told once, stop eating when you stop feeling hungry. If i had the time to prep, i would eat 5 small meals per day.

Me too. Goes back to life in the UK being so damn fast that we have no time for stuff like that. Go on holiday and life just feels so much better, relaxed and slower. The UK, everything 24hr is killing us.

Must have big breakfast before work, must have lunch at 12-1, must have tea break at 3pm, scoff a penguin with my latte, then must get dinner when you get in from work, then try and get all the stuff done at night, like go to ASDA for the shopping etc etc. It's just far too hectic a lifestyle in the UK for anyone to really manage their diet effectively. Everythings a "I'll just do this now, it won't matter" and before you know it, you've eaten a Twix everyday at 3pm for the last 6 years.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe that time of year? started running 3 weeks ago and playing badminton on thursday nights. Legs are feeling it so far, but aim is getting back to my GAA weight which was about 86 kilos. Currently at 93 kilos, so shaved off 2 kilos already since I started.

good little starter site below - for anyone who wants some perspective on where they are - I was "overweight" when I checked it with a BMI 25.2. My target weight will get me to a healthy BMI of 23.3

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Brilliant idea Virtuocity!

I'm happy to help out with anyone who needs it, diet plan, exercise plan etc.

What you eat and when you eat is super important. The after 6pm no eating is a massive factor, although hard to do this is one of your biggies. If you do have to, make sure it's healthy snacks and not a big meal.

Reducing your intake of sugar (you have to look into everything you eat, as it's everywhere!)

switch to plain porridge with fruits and seed on top (you'll learn to love it soon enough)
Swapping a bowl of sugary breakfast cereal for plain cereal cuts out 70g of sugar (up to 22 sugar cubes) from your diet over a week.
Never skip breakfast, include protein and healthy fats in as many of your meals as possible.
Cook more food from scratch, ready made sauces and such are full of salt and sugar.
Learn to know your labels, its tedious at the beginning but so important

I read the no eating after 6 pm was a load of rubbish. In addition to it being extremely impractical the way most people live their lives nowadays, the body processes calories the same way no matter what time of day it is, and eating a healthy well balanced meal after 6 pm is much better than eating a lot of crap at 4 pm?