A waste of my time!

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Apparently, Mickelson has said this about the Ryder Cup because the fairways weren't wide enough and the rough was too deep for him to play the kind of golf he wants to. Frankly, words fail me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why?
He's being honest.
Would you play at courses that are totally unsuitable for your game?
At this stage of his career he doesn't need it.
He probably should have turned down the offer of a RC pick but when your country comes calling it's hard to refuse.
I could understand it one of the young pups said it but I can totally see where Phil's coming from.
The course set up didn't suit him - end of story

D

Deleted member 15344

Why?
He's being honest.
Would you play at courses that are totally unsuitable for your game?
At this stage of his career he doesn't need it.
He probably should have turned down the offer of a RC pick but when your country comes calling it's hard to refuse.
I could understand it one of the young pups said it but I can totally see where Phil's coming from.
The course set up didn't suit him - end of story

Mickleson always seems to be able to blame something else whenever the US lose and he doesn’t have a great tournament - 2014 he opened his mouth , done it again now. He can’t sit and complain about the course after - he should have looked at the course before hand and then told his captain he would pull out but I guess his ego stopped that. It’s nothing but sour grapes from him and it’s not the first time

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He was a wild card pick, and even if he wasn't, he could have developed a groin strain a couple of weeks before. I wonder what he would have said if the US had won the Cup? Sour grapes.

Personally, I didn't take to him in his early years but warmed to him in recent years, right up until he slagged Tom Watson off 4 years ago at Gleneagles. That was totally unprofessional. As Patrick Reed said in an interview within minutes of Mickleson's hyper whinge, those discussions should be held behind closed doors.

Nasty piece of work, which his affected smile in recent years just looked too plastic and false.

Wolf

Visit site
I think we sometimes are to quick to judge honest opinion as complaining or passing blame.

I have no issue with Mickelsons comments at all, these guys choose which tournaments they play in, week in, week out so all he is saying really is that he would not choose to play at such a course at this point the twilight of his career.

The course set up didn't suit his game but this wasn't just any tournament he could just remove from his schedule, this was the Ryder Cup his probable last chance of representing his nation as a player so wanted to try and do something for his team. It didn't work for him this time and he probably Feels as let down by himself more than anyone.

From now on he will play in tournaments at courses he feels more competitive in and those are ones he can let fly at and try be as good as he can for the latter part of his tour career.

Is it any different than any one of us not liking a course so not choosing to play a competition there... but if your club then chose you to reperesnt them in a match at the same course you'd probably do your best to go an represent them.... I know I would.

Wolf

Visit site
Or, you would stand aside and tell your captain to pick someone better suited to the course as that would help the team win. The Ryder cup is about team not the individual. Phil has clearly still not worked that out.

Not worked it out or did he perhaps believe he could do a job, but just didn't work out, we can't presume to know what he was thinking based on comments passed after the event...

How many times have players in other team sports let people down in penalty shoots outs because they believed they could help the team, score the goal and win the match only to slip and miss by a mile just like John Terry did. They had the inner belief they could help the team but sometimes the execution doesn't go your way...

I'm not defending him or sledging him but do believe nobody at that level goes into somethi g without self belief. Perhaps afterward he realised even trying his hardest it wasn't enough so feels let down and this is his way of expressing..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A penalty is one kick, a split second moment. His play in the run up to the tournament, for some time, indicated exactly what he said afterwards. His game isn't up to that course any more.

I get what you are saying but I think Phil's comments are unprofessional and let Furyk down further.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
To respond to an earlier comment - yes, in my more than 60 year amateur career, I played courses I didn't like and didn't suit my game again and again because that's how you improve. Also, I don't remember Phil complaining about course set up in the many US Opens he has played in.
I'd also like to make it very clear that you can disagree with anything and everything I say but I won't justify my comments again and will not reply to anything personally offensive.
The grumpy old man is now retiring for the evening.

Wolf

Visit site
Actually didn't Phil complain about Shinnecock because when US Open was held there in 2004 it was unplayable he went on record to say it needs to be set up fairly for all not just him...

Nobody needs to argue or justify their comments we're all adults here and entitled to an opinion otherwise there wouldn't be any discussion

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why?

I can only remember one player saying "do not have me I am not playing well enough" and that was Sandy Lyle and he was an automatic qualilfier at the time.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never realised how quickly I could lose all respect for one player!
It adds fuel to my belief that he chunked it into the water deliberately on RC Sunday against Molinari.
He just wanted to get out of there and couldn't face the possibility of going down the 18th.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have no issue with Mickelsons comments at all, these guys choose which tournaments they play in, week in, week out so all he is saying really is that he would not choose to play at such a course at this point the twilight of his career.

The course set up didn't suit his game but this wasn't just any tournament he could just remove from his schedule, this was the Ryder Cup his probable last chance of representing his nation as a player so wanted to try and do something for his team. It didn't work for him this time and he probably Feels as let down by himself more than anyone.

Is it any different than any one of us not liking a course so not choosing to play a competition there... but if your club then chose you to reperesnt them in a match at the same course you'd probably do your best to go an represent them.... I know I would.
Pretty much agree with this. Mickelson's comments have been taken by some as 'sour grapes', but I think they were an honest, if somewhat self-damning, opinion (apology even!).

I don't know how much 'conversation' there was between Furyk nd Mickelson about the pick, but both should have anticipated the sort of course setup Bjorn was going to go for. On that basis, Mickelson's form was even more suspect - though his 'team room' presence might have swung the decision!

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m not 100% on why it didn’t suit him but I assume he wants to bomb it long anywhere and flop into a receptive green from short fluffy rough.

I have zero respect or patience for that as a moan. He is a multi major winner and one of the best players of the last 20 years. He should be able to hit narrow fairways and still have a good shot into any green the length the pros hit. The course set up should almost be an irrelevance at this level.
We’ve all played courses that challenge our games, whether for accuracy, length of carry, general length or difficulty of greens. This is the challenge of the game as originally set up.

I never once heard Luke Donald moan that modern courses were set up too long for him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Disappointing reaction and he knew his form wasn't suited to that type of course so could have easily passed on the pick behind the scenes without any fuss. It's disrespectful to the organisers, and his team. Not classy

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If he thinks he's past being able to hit the ball accurately and can't cope with that course any more then don't play on them. But don't blame the course, blame the fact you can't consistently hit the ball straight anymore.
Personally, I had nothing but admiration for the way the course was set up. A challenge for a variety of golf skills, greens that weren't like putting on concrete, rough that punished the wayward but rewarded the accurate. I would love to play it. But I can see why a number of Americans don't like it. You don't get many courses like that over in the USA.