A Wanderer Returns.

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
May i start by saying, how do you all do, and what a lively place this forum appears to be.. :cool:

The reason I'm here is quite simple really, i need some local expert advice.
I've been cogitating over a return to the game for some time, after falling out of love some 20 yrs ago. So, after watching the excellent coverage over the weekend,;), I've decided its time to bite the bullet...

So my request is thus..
Are there any forumites out there who could recommend a good GC, somewhere in the region of say north to Burnley, east to Rochdale/Bacup, south to Prestwich and east to say Wigin,Atherton..

I appreciate i could find loads on the tinterweb thingy, but I've always found personal opinion a lot more useful, and think it would be remiss of me to waste what appears to be a wonderful resource. :)

What I'm looking for is a relaxed place, not stuffy,( I'm the sort of person who always looks scruffy ) no dearer than about 600 smackers and not too long.
Oh, almost forgot, it doesn't matter if its 9 or 18 holes, if its a "good club"..

Many thanks in advance..:thup: :cheers:
These smiley things are great. Lol.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't help with the local info but welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone will be along shortly either with course advice for you or to tell you why you're wrong about the coverage! ;)

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
D
Can't help with the local info but welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone will be along shortly either with course advice for you or to tell you why you're wrong about the coverage! ;)

Thankyou for the kind welcome FD
I can't help being a bit mischievous, but i can't even spell malise:mmm: so i hope any deflectors are gentle :thup:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing that you're Bury/Rawtenstall way?

Not really able to help on clubs too much, but I believe that Burnley GC is doing a special rate for new members at the moment. IIRC, it's less than the £600 you are looking at. I know a few people who've joined there.

Edit - Take a look at the Academy membership. £290 for the first year and 5 free lessons. Now that's a deal and a half.

Edit 2 - I'm not a member, nor have I ever played there so can't comment on the club/course.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome!!!

I always enjoy Accrington and they always seem to have really good deals for new members. Friendly, easy going club too !!

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing that you're Bury/Rawtenstall way?

Hi BW, smack bang in the middle, Rammy...
Thanks for your reply, that looks really interesting, especially that academy deal, a few lessons to start could be just the ticket. :cool:
I never new Burnley had a club, apart from Townley. A trip up for a gander is definitely in order.
Again many thanks.. :cheers:

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome!!!

I always enjoy Accrington and they always seem to have really good deals for new members. Friendly, easy going club too !!

Hi Junior, thanks for the welcome.
Taken a look at the web site, and definitely worth further investigation.
I could kill two birds with one stone, and visit Accy after i've been to Burnley.
Thanks very much..:thup: