A View of the Future - Most Likely Score

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst not in general use in GB&I, Ireland are trialling its use so clubs and players should be aware of this provision should they play overseas or in Ireland. The full details are taken from Interpretation 3.3/1 (included in the Rules for jurisdictions that use MLS).

Scores returned in match play or four-ball formats are Acceptable Scores in some Jurisdictions. In such situations there is a need for calculating a ‘Most Likely Score’ when a player starts a hole but does not hole out. For example:

• The result of the hole has already been decided,
  • A hole has been conceded,
  • A player’s partner has already posted a better score in a four-ball format and the player picks up, or
  • A player has already reached their net double bogey limit on a specific hole.

When a player starts a hole but does not hole out for a valid reason, subject to other provisions set out within the Rules of Handicapping, the player must record their most likely score or net double bogey, whichever is lower, as appropriate for the situation and depending on the format of play.

The most likely score is:
The number of strokes already taken to reach a position on a hole, plus any penalty strokes incurred to that point, plus the number of strokes the player would most likely require to complete the hole from that position.
Most likely scores should be determined on any hole in accordance with the following guidelines:

Position of the ball Strokes to be added
  • If the ball lies on the putting green, no more than 5 feet (1.5 metres) from the hole: Add one additional stroke.
  • If the ball lies between 5 feet (1.5 meters) and 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole: Add 2 or 3 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.
  • Beyond 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole: Add 3 or 4 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.

There is no limit to the number of most likely scores that can be submitted within a player’s score, provided that the failure to hole out is for a valid reason and not for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It might be useful to emphasise that Most Likely Score will not be in use in the other CONGU countries. A hole that has been started but not finished will be counted as a net double bogey.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Terrible idea. Example:
If the ball lies on the putting green, no more than 5 feet (1.5 metres) from the hole: Add one additional stroke.
This might make sense for low handicappers on flat greens, but otherwise it's way too generous. On my course there are some greens where you wouldn't give a 1ft downhill putt in matchplay, even to a scratch player.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It might be useful to emphasise that Most Likely Score will not be in use in the other CONGU countries. A hole that has been started but not finished will be counted as a net double bogey.
The OP was referring to four ball and match play only, these formats will not be counting for handicap at all in CONGU areas.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The OP was referring to four ball and match play only, these formats will not be counting for handicap at all in CONGU areas.
??
Given that MLS applies to matchplay and fourball formats, then if the score is not counting towards handicap, then surely there is no actual point in recording a MLS at all? (Or indeed, a nett double bogey or whatever?)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not so. Scores from these formats will be acceptable in Ireland when it trials four ball and match play scores as "acceptable scores". Hence the need for "Most Likely Score" in Ireland. Which answers backwoodsman's question.

Its use is not restricted to four ball and match play and my comment was just intended to make clear that MLS would not be in use at all in the other CONGU countries.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ireland is also trialling Matchplay and Fourball scores as counting for handicap purposes. (At least that is what I think I read in the Guidance on a very fast run through this morning).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not so. Scores from these formats will be acceptable in Ireland when it trials four ball and match play scores as "acceptable scores". Hence the need for "Most Likely Score" in Ireland. Which answers backwoodsman's question.

Its use is not restricted to four ball and match play and my comment was just intended to make clear that MLS would not be in use at all in the other CONGU countries.
Ta (y)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

I stand corrected thank you.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree. I play different in Matchplay to how I would when I am trying to make a score.

If it's true that it won't be in use for CONGU countries, then fine!
Surely much of the point of a handicap system is to give players a roughly equal chance at the outset in competition and the competition may be match play or stroke play so both forms should be used for calculating handicaps.
If you play differently you should score approximately the same on average otherwise in one form of golf you are not playing as efficiently as another.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely much of the point of a handicap system is to give players a roughly equal chance at the outset in competition and the competition may be match play or stroke play so both forms should be used for calculating handicaps.
If you play differently you should score approximately the same on average otherwise in one form of golf you are not playing as efficiently as another.

not necessarily. In matchplay, I might try and hit driver on tighter holes to get down there and leave a shorter shot in. Likewise, I might try the ‘miracle’ shot if in the rubbish to get close to the green.

my score doesn’t matter to me in matchplay as much as it does in a medal - just as long as I beat the guy I am playing

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. I play different in Matchplay to how I would when I am trying to make a score.

If it's true that it won't be in use for CONGU countries, then fine!

Just to mention it again, Ireland will be trialling the return of matchplay and fourball scores. That means any player from another CONGU country who plays in a match play or four ball competition in Ireland will be required to submit their score for handicapping purposes.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Give it a few years and we'll have to enter pretty much anything. It'll be second nature like it is in America now.

We'll all be looking back and thinking something like "remember when we only entered certain scores? How weird was that!?"

Times change, people adapt. They grumble to start with but it'll soon become natural