A good walk spoiled?*

sunshine

Visit site
I've never really thought of golf as exercise, just a gentle walk really. But 4.5 miles carrying a 12kg bag does contribute to burning some calories and keeping me healthy.

I've been looking at the step counter on my phone, and the data showed this week I walked:
7.2km during my Tuesday round (2 ball with a low handicapper),
7.2km today (2 ball again),
7.8km on Saturday (3 ball including a high handicapper and I spent a lot of time helping him look for balls). 600m extra - 660 yards - that's almost 2 extra holes!

Do you guys think of golf as exercise? Do you get physically fatigued during a round? Does anyone monitor how far they walk / heart rate / calories etc?

*Incidentally, today it's thought unlikely Mark Twain ever said this.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The course I recently joined is known as a bit of a hike. Has a few walks between holes and some ups n downs. I felt it the first 3 or 4 rounds but not so much now.
I've not taken tracker out but ought to sometime, I told a friend when he visited recently to expect to walk equivalent of 21 ish holes.

Mandofred

Visit site
I consider it "kind of" exercise. It's about 5 miles total for a round on our course. Occasionally I get to breathing harder, but I can't quite call it exercise.....more of staying active. When I play I usually get home and walk 30+ minutes uphill on the treadmill to get a workout. The combination of being on your feet and walking for 4ish hours and topping it off with some cardio does it for me. I also don't use a motorized trolley.....I figure pushing/pulling it will give me a little more work.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think of it as exercise as such, but I'm very happy that that's a side effect of it. Say if we want a takeaway on Saturday night I feel happier knowing I've burned a reasonable amount of calories on the golf course that day.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As it improves physical and mental
health (supposedly a relaxing game ?), then I would say it definitely fits the definition
noun
  1. 1.
    activity requiring physical effort, carried out to sustain or improve health and fitness.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Almost felt like a route march today. New shoes on (not a bright idea) and the heat made it a struggle. In normal circumstances I don't struggle getting round but the last two games have sapped my strength and just wonder if I lost some stamina during lockdown

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Certainly counts as exercise for me :-(

I had a heart attack a few months ago and Tuesday coming will be my first 9 holes since. Been to the driving range a few times, but Tuesday will be the first proper golf. Excited and nervous in equal measure.

sunshine

Visit site
Almost felt like a route march today. New shoes on (not a bright idea) and the heat made it a struggle. In normal circumstances I don't struggle getting round but the last two games have sapped my strength and just wonder if I lost some stamina during lockdown

Maybe carry a half set or push a trolley to lighten the load? No point struggling, golf is supposed to be fun! (y)

sunshine

Visit site

I had a heart attack a few months ago and Tuesday coming will be my first 9 holes since. Been to the driving range a few times, but Tuesday will be the first proper golf. Excited and nervous in equal measure.

Good luck! Don't play in a thunderstorm!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I count it as exercise.

I carry my bag on my shoulders - approx 15kg - for 5.8 miles around 18 holes, 4 hours of slogging that thing round burns plenty of calories and im losing weight quite quickly playing golf so often.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never really thought of golf as exercise, just a gentle walk really. But 4.5 miles carrying a 12kg bag does contribute to burning some calories and keeping me healthy.

I've been looking at the step counter on my phone, and the data showed this week I walked:
7.2km during my Tuesday round (2 ball with a low handicapper),
7.2km today (2 ball again),
7.8km on Saturday (3 ball including a high handicapper and I spent a lot of time helping him look for balls). 600m extra - 660 yards - that's almost 2 extra holes!

Do you guys think of golf as exercise? Do you get physically fatigued during a round? Does anyone monitor how far they walk / heart rate / calories etc?

*Incidentally, today it's thought unlikely Mark Twain ever said this.
But John Feinstein did (use it for title of his book of a year on the PGA tour ) - an excellent book btw...

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Played my first 9 holes since my heart attack this afternoon. Bit tired and achy now, but it was soooooo good to be on the course again. Absolutely loved it.

Got stuffed by my colleague, but I was quite pleased with the way I played. Short game touch was woeful, but the rest was respectable (for me anyway).

Can feel I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow tho. ;-)