95%?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will 95% apply in stableford comps as well? I've seen lots of comments relating to stroke play, I'm guessing it's the same, but no one has specifically mentioned stableford.

As already said it does apply in a Stableford comp but only for deciding the winners of the competition.

It does not apply to handicap alterations which are based upon your Course Handicap and it is important not to pick up before you should. You should only pick up when you would score zero points based upon your Course Handicap.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As already said it does apply in a Stableford comp but only for deciding the winners of the competition.

It does not apply to handicap alterations which are based upon your Course Handicap and it is important not to pick up before you should. You should only pick up when you would score zero points based upon your Course Handicap.
So for actually marking the card I score off full handicap? Only when the scores are in does it get reduced? I must be understanding that incorrectly

Okay, just thought about this. I mark the card normally but on the hole or holes where shots are taken away by the 95% rule the player has to remember not to pick up when they can't score on that hole. Is that right? Not conducive to the idea of speeding up play as people may play that extra shot more often, just in case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

So for actually marking the card I score off full handicap? Only when the scores are in does it get reduced? I must be understanding that incorrectly

You mark your scorecard from your playing handicap - ie the handicap allowance for the format that you are playing so in a Stableford it will be 95% of your course handicap

So if you have a course handicap of 11 your playing handicap in strokeplay will be 10

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You mark your scorecard from your playing handicap - ie the handicap allowance for the format that you are playing so in a Stableford it will be 95% of your course handicap

So if you have a course handicap of 11 your playing handicap in strokeplay will be 10
In that example though, according to jim8flog, on SI 11, I keep going past the point where I can no longer score, by one extra shot. Is that right?

D

Deleted member 15344

In that example though, according to jim8flog, on SI 11, I keep going past the point where I can no longer score, by one extra shot. Is that right?

All depends on what format you are playing

If it’s a Stableford and you don’t get a shot and you can’t score then pick up - if your playing handicap says you don’t have a shot there then that’s it

Simple way - put your course handicap in the box , enter your gross scores and let the computer work it out. Far easier

Last edited by a moderator:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Okay, just thought about this. I mark the card normally but on the hole or holes where shots are taken away by the 95% rule the player has to remember not to pick up when they can't score on that hole. Is that right? Not conducive to the idea of speeding up play as people may play that extra shot more often, just in case.
The only requirement is to enter your no of strokes for the hole. The computer (or committee) will sort out the results of the competition (whether stableford or medal) and any handicap details. If you want to enter your stableford points for your own interest you can but it is not a requirement. But as said, use your playing Course Handicap to ensure you don't pick up too soon.

As an aside, if you don't hole out in a medal it is not a disaster. Although you would be DQd from the comp, in certain circumstances, the WHS makes provision for a number of holes not completed and makes the appropriate handicap adjustment.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If it’s a Stableford and you don’t get a shot and you can’t score then pick up - if your playing handicap says you don’t have a shot there then that’s it

As already said - if your Course Handicap says you do not get a point......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only requirement is to enter your no of strokes for the hole. The computer (or committee) will sort out the results of the competition (whether stableford or medal) and any handicap details. If you want to enter your stableford points for your own interest you can but it is not a requirement. But as said, use your playing handicap to ensure you don't pick up too soon.

As an aside, if you don't hole out in a medal it is not a disaster. Although you would be DQd from the comp, in certain circumstances, the WHS makes provision for a number of holes not completed and makes the appropriate handicap adjustment.
In reality I don't know anyone who doesn't score as they go along in stableford. We may not have to but people do.

Good info anyway, thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In reality I don't know anyone who doesn't score as they go along in stableford. We may not have to but people do.

Good info anyway, thanks.

Virtually all player's I play with score the points as they as they go but it has taken a lot of getting through to them, over the years, it is the gross score on each hole on the card that needs to be checked at the end of the round and not the Stableford points.

I have seen more than one player lose out because they had only agreed the Stableford points with their marker and not the grosses, when the former was correct but the latter wrong.

One of the things I really like in the current situation is that I am responsible for marking the gross score on my own card, make a mistake and it is only me to blame.

D

Deleted member 15344

Think it was 4/5 years ago the 4BBB allowance changed from 3/4 to 90%

Swango1980

Visit site

Simple way - put your course handicap in the box , enter your gross scores and let the computer work it out. Far easier
Your second paragraph is incorrect. It is your course handicap that should dictate when you can pick up, not playing handicap.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't that for BetterBall stableford?
Sorry I can't remember, but there was a few different allowances way back , I think there may have been 1/3rd as well, they had ready reckoner charts on the back of tee holders and pitch repairers.
Rosecott [ Jim ] or DFT will know for sure (y) .

D

Deleted member 15344

Your second paragraph is incorrect. It is your course handicap that should dictate when you can pick up, not playing handicap.
So what exactly is the purpose of a playing handicap being created at 95% - it’s just trying to manufacture results.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I can't remember, but there was a few different allowances way back , I think there may have been 1/3rd as well, they had ready reckoner charts on the back of tee holders and pitch repairers.
Rosecott [ Jim ] or DFT will know for sure (y) .

Despite Billy's veiled suggestion that I'm as old as Methusela, I only have CONGU manuals going back to 2001 - no mention of 3/8 or 1/3 in them, just full in singles and 3/4 elsewhere (1/2 in the dreaded foursomes).