jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speed rating for steel shafts

70 - known as active or senior flex
80 - regular
90 - Stiff
95plus - extra stiff

To gain speed the advice used to be swing the softest flex with which you still retain control of direction

In the UK and using cold range balls in cold weather 155 carry is a very good distance.

Jason.H

Visit site
If you want to hit it further, use a 6.
155 is plenty
True. That’s what I’ve done this year and been pleased with my progress. I’d like to keep improving so with more club speed I’ll be longer off the tee and those mid irons will have more spin and softer landing into greens if that makes sense.

Jason.H

Visit site
Speed rating for steel shafts

70 - known as active or senior flex
80 - regular
90 - Stiff
95plus - extra stiff

To gain speed the advice used to be swing the softest flex with which you still retain control of direction

In the UK and using cold range balls in cold weather 155 carry is a very good distance.

During fittings I’ve been between regular and stiff and generally gone stiff as I have tighter dispersion. Thankfully there are light weight stiff options these days.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
In my opinion, straight is better than longer and all over the place.
In everyones opinion I guess, but the statement suggests they are a tradeoff. Predominantly it isnt. Longer is as inaccurate as shorter. So longer is better, full stop.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
In everyones opinion I guess, but the statement suggests they are a tradeoff. Predominantly it isnt. Longer is as inaccurate as shorter. So longer is better, full stop.

Maybe, but a long way the wrong way can cost you more shots

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Longer is as inaccurate as shorter. So longer is better, full stop.

Rubbish
My driver used to sometimes get close to 300 yds, then I moved to a tree lined course, I couldn't break 80.
I dialled back my distance to 250-260, hit most fairways and was regularly breaking 70.
So shorter was straighter.
In over 50 years of playing, I've never found an OOB down the middle of the fairway.

Jason.H

Visit site
In my opinion, straight is better than longer and all over the place.

That’s me all over. However if I can get say 10% more and still find fairways that would be great.
I’m not looking to be a long drive person, I’ve been short for a low handicapper and will be interested to see how it pans out next year.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s me all over. However if I can get say 10% more and still find fairways that would be great.
I’m not looking to be a long drive person, I’ve been short for a low handicapper and will be interested to see how it pans out next year.

So you're going to spend all that time to try and gain a bit of distance and neglect your short game?
I've never met anyone who thinks their short game doesn't need improving.
Do what you want, have fun but don't neglect your short game.

evemccc

Visit site
Do what you want, have fun but don't neglect your short game.

Playing golf is like being married and having two or three mistresses as well:

Don’t neglect your short game, don’t neglect your putting, constantly work on your swing fundamentals and centreness of strike, and chase distance on top of all that if you want!

It’s a nightmare trying to keep track of where to focus your efforts and energy ??

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Stats show fairways hit is pretty much the same from 28hc to pros, with driving distances from 180 to 300.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWIW, Martin Borgmier (LD) and Bryson commented that for speed you should only train with the driver, ie speed gains from the driver will translate down but from the iron to the driver is not so much.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You're saying a 28 handicapper hits a similar number of fairways to a Pro.............?
Yes, its about the same. In the range of 50 something percent. A pro at the top of their form in the upper range, a rank hacker on the lower end, but still about 50%.