60 degree Lob wedge - Going Under the ball

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a really frustrating habit of going right under the ball with my 60 degree lob wedge - its not something that i do all the time, but it manifests itself occasionally and doesnt help confidence when standing over a difficult shot.

What causes it? is there a sure fire method for prevention

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Mark i have had the same problem in the past,however make sure your weight is slightly on the left foot,and the lie is right for the club.
In my experience dont use is from very tight lies,or really deep lies,only use it in slightly fluffy lies so the club can slide under the ball making sure you commit to the shot.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Mark i have had the same problem in the past,however make sure your weight is slightly on the left foot,and the lie is right for the club.
In my experience dont use is from very tight lies,or really deep lies,only use it in slightly fluffy lies so the club can slide under the ball making sure you commit to the shot.

Im glad you said that because tight lies are my worst night mare with a lob wedge - fluffy isnt such a problem but its really a confidence thing - the worst scenario is a 40yard pitch over water from a tight lie ! If any one has some maghic advice to share I'd love to hear it.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah!

The old Blob Wedge conundrum again.

Ways around the problem?

Either leave it in the garage or don't leave yourself a shot where the only option is to use it.

Simples ;)

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah!

The old Blob Wedge conundrum again.

Ways around the problem?

Either leave it in the garage or don't leave yourself a shot where the only option is to use it.

Simples ;)

If only life were so simple at 18 handicap - I do agree though Course management is king and I'd much rather hit a full proper club into the green rather than mincing around with a 40 yd lob wedge shot

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What you need is some confidence.
You will only become confident with success and you will only succeed if you play these shots well.

Place the ball in the centre of your stance or a touch back, and keep your weight on your front foot.

Learn how to hit down on the ball by placing a head cover 12-15in behind the ball. That will teach you to hit down on the ball.
TAKE A DIVOT AND FOLLOW THROUGH WELL
DO NOT TRY AND LIFT THE BALL INTO THE AIR.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
What you need is some confidence.
You will only become confident with success and you will only succeed if you play these shots well.

Place the ball in the centre of your stance or a touch back, and keep your weight on your front foot.

Learn how to hit down on the ball by placing a head cover 12-15in behind the ball. That will teach you to hit down on the ball.
TAKE A DIVOT AND FOLLOW THROUGH WELL
DO NOT TRY AND LIFT THE BALL INTO THE AIR.

.......... Then once you've finished admiring your masterful shot........... replace your divot ;)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
.......... Then once you've finished admiring your masterful shot........... replace your divot ;)

Or, buy a new headcover.

As most of Bob's drills involve trying (unsuccessfully) to miss a head cover, he must have a stake in the V-Cover manufacturing company

;) ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You need a proper 60 degree wedge you do.
Something like a Mizuno MP T11 60 degree lob wedge.
One that somebody may have won in a competition recently, that's still wrapped up and never been used.
A wedge that has a quad cut sole.
A wedge that is on offer for £50.00 which is a saving of at least £30.00 over the cheapest price found on the 'net.
That's what you want.
I wonder who might have one for sale.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
One that somebody may have won in a competition recently, that's still wrapped up and never been used.
A wedge that is on offer for £50.00 which is a saving of at least £30.00 over the cheapest price found on the 'net.
That's what you want.
I wonder who might have one for sale

Nobody if he doesnt get pictures up sharpish :p

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what you want.

You can't use one either then? ;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what you want.

You can't use one either then? ;)

Danger of losing his ball up his nose.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Put the 60 degree back in the shed and get a 56 or 58. Much more reliable and can be used off tighter lies

Does two degrees of loft really make that much of a difference?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some bloke called Mickelson recommends more weight on front foot (as Bob says) and steeper strike when there is a danger of the club going under the ball ie. fluffy lie, but more even weight distribution and more of a sweep from a tight lie.

Sounds dangerous to me but he's pretty good with a lob wedge.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Put the 60 degree back in the shed and get a 56 or 58. Much more reliable and can be used off tighter lies

Surely it depends on the bounce on the club. 60 degrees with 4 degrees of bounce will be easier to hit off a tight lie than 56 degrees with 14 degrees of bounce.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine sliding under the ball off a fairway lie.
I can imagine going underneath the ball in the rough, sure.
Is it the first or the second?