Wedge Gaps

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would say hitting wedges is probably the most consistent part of my game. As consistent as you could expect from a 16 capper anyway. The 50° for example is nearly always between 95 and 100 yards distance (ignoring wind etc), possibly most consistent club in the bag for me.
What about sideways dispersion? How widely do you miss the target on either side assuming you get the distance going forward working normally

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about sideways dispersion? How widely do you miss the target on either side assuming you get the distance going forward working normally
I don't know, depends on what day it is! Not sure that has a bearing when we're talking about yardage gaps though anyway. If I have a day where I'm pulling all my approaches then it's not a result of which wedges I'm carrying is it?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did you try the same lenght swings but differnt speeds? A few practice swings before hand to gauge how hard to hit it should sort you out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I consciously slow down my swing I'm almost guaranteed to miscue it. :LOL:
My mate a two handicap has a half swing . For 100yds and in.
Left arm parallel to ground club shaft facing the sky.
He does it exactly the same every time.
He then just changes the club for the distance he wants .
Might work for you with some practice as it’s only one swing .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate a two handicap has a half swing . For 100yds and in.
Left arm parallel to ground club shaft facing the sky.
He does it exactly the same every time.
He then just changes the club for the distance he wants .
Might work for you with some practice as it’s only one swing .
Music to my ears that is. That's the dream. :D

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Possibly but I shake my head sometimes when, let's just say, a 16 handicapped player hits a club a set distance, this is not my experience playing with higher handicapped players.

I tend to agree with you, I’m a similar h/c (17) I can hit my pw anything from 80 yards to 110 yards, so for me I need to try and get more consistent with my yardages before I think about adding anymore wedges.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Took my PW, new 46° and 50° down the range last night, and I was encouraged enough that the yardage of the 46 does seem to sit in between the other two. So I guess I'll find out for sure on Saturday.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Did you try the same lenght swings but differnt speeds? A few practice swings before hand to gauge how hard to hit it should sort you out.

If I consciously slow down my swing I'm almost guaranteed to miscue it. :LOL:

If I want to slow the wedge swing down speed down without it feeling like i'm deliberately slowing it down I just narrow my stance (along with gripping down etc) it takes off a few yards & also tightens dispersion

Warning: I am not an expert :sneaky:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
couldn't you just have had your PW bent to 46?

two deg isn't that much for the sake of a new club

But that would mean a 7 degree gap between his 9 iron (39 deg) and his 46.
That's why I suggested bending the 9 to 40, the PW to 45 and leave the 50 alone.
40, 45, 50.......... perfect. Nope
I suspect the OP just wants a new shiney so my advice got ignored.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's why I suggested bending the 9 to 40, the PW to 45 and leave the 50 alone.
not a fan of having 4 wedges, but i suppose it must be quite common with lofts getting stronger

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hardly ignored, I don't think bending the PW one single degree is going to fix a 25 yard gap is it?? From common perception I've found online, 1 degree equates to about 2 or 3 yards. So I'd still have a 22 yard gap.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily.
So at best I'd be bending two clubs without actually knowing what the result will be. At least if my new wedge doesn't plug the gap I can just sell it again with hardly any loss. Adding a new club in the gap seemed like the least amount of fuss that's all. After weighing up everyone's ideas I went with what I thought would be the simplest solution to try first - I'm genuinely sorry if it hurts your feelings that it wasn't yours. I appreciate your contributions in answering my query.

I didn't totally ignore you either, I did try the clock theory at the range last night. From what I could tell my 'full' swing was about 10 o'clock and my 'half' swing was about 8 o'clock which makes it quite difficult to find 9 o'clock which such a narrow mid-point.

We know you know your stuff but you don't have to come across so bitter when somebody goes down another route.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not bitter.
I've just seen so many people making the same mistake going down the same route as you are and it's just a pity that I can't help.
If you're happy to stay at 12-15 h/cap then crack on.
If you want to be a good player, sooner or later you will need to practice and that takes time and effort.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not bitter.
I've just seen so many people making the same mistake going down the same route as you are and it's just a pity that I can't help.
If you want to be a good player, sooner or later you will need to practice and that takes time and effort.
How do you know it's a mistake? If the wedge I've bought fills the gap perfectly then problem solved. No I'm never going to spend hours and hours practising so I take the simplest solution every time. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edit: I'd be delighted with 12 hcap tbh

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm not bitter.

Very wise advice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How do you know it's a mistake? If the wedge I've bought fills the gap perfectly then problem solved. No I'm never going to spend hours and hours practising so I take the simplest solution every time. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edit: I'd be delighted with 12 hcap tbh

Now I know you will be happy at 12 h/cap then as I said before, crack on.
I mistakenly thought you wanted to be better than that.
Apologies