Wedge Gaps

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you won't have a lesson.......
Get your 9 iron bent to 40, your PW bent to 45, leave the rest and then just practice.
Although, if you don't have a lesson, you won't know what to practice. :unsure:

Having a 44, 46, 50, 56 and 60 wedge is just daft in my opinion.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you won't have a lesson.......
Get your 9 iron bent to 40, your PW bent to 45, leave the rest and then just practice.
Although, if you don't have a lesson, you won't know what to practice. :unsure:

Having a 44, 46, 50, 5456 and 60 wedge is just daft in my opinion.
Yeah, I'd agree with you on paper as well, it's just the fact that the '44' is actually a game improvement iron which is making that gap larger in yards than it should be. That's causing the whole issue really. On paper the gap between a 44° wedge and 50° wedge shouldn't be 25 yards. As Fundy touched upon, looking at the lofts alone it doesn't make sense.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How many times do you actually have that distance in a round? If it’s quite a lot then instead or trying to shoe horn in another wedge, would it not be better to use a different club on the approach and trying to leave a distance you are comfortable with? Course management before spending £80-£120 on a new club.

User20204

Visit site
How many times do you actually have that distance in a round? If it’s quite a lot then instead or trying to shoe horn in another wedge, would it not be better to use a different club on the approach and trying to leave a distance you are comfortable with? Course management before spending £80-£120 on a new club.

These type of players suffer from delusion and lack of reality, generally through watching to many YouTube videos rather than actually being realistic about their game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
More times than I'd like. Obviously I'm not good enough to lay up to a precise wedge yardage so I take it as it comes. And before someone says it, yes my shortest clubs are more consistent distance wise than the longest ones funnily enough.

These type of players suffer from delusion and lack of reality, generally through watching to many YouTube videos rather than actually being realistic about their game.
Go away you insufferable bore.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most cappers would benefit from another wedge imo.
Their long game is usually erratic at best ,but a good short game is an equaliser.
With your reduced backswing the clock system will be difficult to get right.
I have 4* between my wedges
Pw 46*
Gap 50*
Sand wedge 54* was 52 but had it adjusted .
Lob wedge 58*. Was 56 but had it adjusted.
The closer gaps cover most distances without having to adjust your swing.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok I've just had a chance to watch this, and what he terms as 8 o'clock is what I was calling my half swing, and what he terms as 9 o'clock is very nearly my full swing - let's say my full swing is about 10 o'clock on his scale.

From someone who has been through this, the clock face is personal....it is what it feels like to you.

Once you get you head around it, and focus on where your arms are, and not the club, it does make things a bit easier

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most cappers would benefit from another wedge imo.
Their long game is usually erratic at best ,but a good short game is an equaliser.
With your reduced backswing the clock system will be difficult to get right.
I have 4* between my wedges
Pw 46*
Gap 50*
Sand wedge 54* was 52 but had it adjusted .
Lob wedge 58*. Was 56 but had it adjusted.
The closer gaps cover most distances without having to adjust your swing.
I think you're right, although my long game has improved this year as I've got used to my hybrids.

I decided to go with Fundy's advice (and similar to what you're saying here) and pick up another wedge to hopefully slot in. I scoured Golfbidder and found an RTX 2.0 in 46°. It should arrive Thursday, I'll trial it by fire on the course on Saturday and if it doesn't fill the gap effectively I can send it back on their 7 day return I think. Or get it adjusted to 47° if need be.

From someone who has been through this, the clock face is personal....it is what it feels like to you.

Once you get you head around it, and focus on where your arms are, and not the club, it does make things a bit easier
Thanks. I'll still give this a go over winter as there's no harm, and I can always change the wedge set-up again if I like this technique.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As you've alluded to it dont matter what is written on the bottom of the sole it's how far it goes.

The main options have been covered in

Getting lofts checked and bent if necessary

Clockface is tried and trusted and has as been said it's how it feels to you.

A couple of other options are that distance can also be controlled by controlling the speed of your body turn their might be a stan utley video out there on youtube somewhere.

Another way is as you say u can half swing then u can consider half hitting other irons like 9s or 8s which is a useful shot on links and in the wind anyway.

Edit
It also reads like u r still this is hard to phrase coiling, with the clockface if u can take what pelz has calls a synchronised wedge swing distance gaps can very consistent and landings soft. Effectively they are taking the hit out by not leading so much with the lower body.
When u make that synchronised swing you will feel it as it's very different, hitting with eyes shut is a drill that can help u get there.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What bounce do you have on the 50 and if you have the 50 bent to 48 can you live with the 2 degree bounce difference?

Leaning to control wedge differences is about learning the clock method. ie a full swing is 12 o'clock learn to swing 11 to 1 , 10 to 2 rather than changing swing speed.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you're right, although my long game has improved this year as I've got used to my hybrids.

I decided to go with Fundy's advice (and similar to what you're saying here) and pick up another wedge to hopefully slot in. I scoured Golfbidder and found an RTX 2.0 in 46°. It should arrive Thursday, I'll trial it by fire on the course on Saturday and if it doesn't fill the gap effectively I can send it back on their 7 day return I think. Or get it adjusted to 47° if need be.

Thanks. I'll still give this a go over winter as there's no harm, and I can always change the wedge set-up again if I like this technique.
I use this technique but I try to think more about shoulder turn instead of where my arms are. It just works a bit better for me, might work for you if you’ve only a shorter backswing

User20204

Visit site
I had my PW checked a couple weeks back, should be 46, turned out it was 49, had it tweaked to 46, now hitting it the distance I should have always been instead of coming up short all the time like I had been for ages.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
do you have a consistent strike and trajectory from these distances? if not then it pointless going any further until you do. you could learn the clock system but if you deliver the club at different lofts each time then it isn't going to work.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
do you have a consistent strike and trajectory from these distances? if not then it pointless going any further until you do. you could learn the clock system but if you deliver the club at different lofts each time then it isn't going to work.
I would say hitting wedges is probably the most consistent part of my game. As consistent as you could expect from a 16 capper anyway. The 50° for example is nearly always between 95 and 100 yards distance (ignoring wind etc), possibly most consistent club in the bag for me.