64 degree wedge - waste of time?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me the difference between using a, well any wedge degree, then turning it to suit the shot over pulling the already designed wedge for the shot you want to do is just that. To flip a ball up and land it without much roll it's a 64 deg all day long , nice "soft" hands and a confident swing at the ball and follow through. Much like any golf shot but you use the correct club.

That should end all this discussion. :rofl:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me the difference between using a, well any wedge degree, then turning it to suit the shot over pulling the already designed wedge for the shot you want to do is just that. To flip a ball up and land it without much roll it's a 64 deg all day long , nice "soft" hands and a confident swing at the ball and follow through. Much like any golf shot but you use the correct club.

So basically your saying we should all carry about 5 wedges. What clubs in the bag do you recommend we should drop to fit them in?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I carry 4. PW/52/54/60/64, dropping down to only PW in winter, not brrrr cold winter or slushy mushy mud winter but playable winter.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Oh and your forgiven. :thup:

Hooray!

And Bob, surely the exact gapping doesn't matter that much if all of your shots are covered with the wedges you have? Also if his PW is 48º then it's only 6º from PW to 54º... I have 45, 50, 54, 60 and barely use the 45 for anything other than full swings (with varying choked down grips) and use the 50 and 54 for pretty much everything 70yards and in, with the 60 seeing less and less use.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hooray!

Also if his PW is 48º then it's only 6º from PW to 54º... I have 45, 50, 54, 60 and barely use the 45 for anything other than full swings (with varying choked down grips) and use the 50 and 54 for pretty much everything 70yards and in, with the 60 seeing less and less use.

If Crazyface has the Cleveland CG16 Black then the PW is 44.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Erm no, you're not forgiven actually!! I think Bob was referring to the gaps, not the number of wedges :ears: :D
You're wrong Dave, Crazyface made a typo and wrote five wedges down instead of four. He has already admitted to this on the previous page.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Bet it doesn't/hasn't. Classic golfer hindsight (on my part)!

Personally, while a 64 is a bit of fun, I can't see its value in a 'proper' bag!

Btw! I've had a couple of hits with a 73* wedge too! Also laughable fun! Its (big hitting - aka 300+yd Driver) owner was trying to find a club for shorter distances - and hadn't discovered the 'less than full' shot!

One possible use for a 64*, however, is to 'educate' recalcitrant committee members who overstep their authority! But that seems all behind you now, so no need for it!

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
:thup: No worries.

It's a fun club and when you know how it works you can do some great shots with it, with the occasional missile across the green!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry 4. PW/52/54/60/64, dropping down to only PW in winter, not brrrr cold winter or slushy mushy mud winter but playable winter.

Not very good at adding up then:D. Unless you are from the same school of thought as me and do not consider the club with PW on the bottom a pitching wedge.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just read the later posts so I see the 52 is a mistake.

Not as big as not having a 50 or 52 in the first place though.

I carry a 50 54(6) 56(14) in summer and 50, 54(8) 58(14) in winter when the grass is left much longer at our place.