6 foot steel posts

Spooner

Visit site
Our golf course is in North Queensland in Australia.
On occasions we have a random cow that comes onto the course at night, and walks on our first green. Causing damage to the green.

What our Match Committee has done to combat against this cow, they have put 6 foot star pickets around the green about 10 feet apart and tap connected to the pickets.

My question (finally) is that, when taking your second shot (par 4) there is a possibility of hitting one of those steel pickets, which you than have the possibility of going on the green, going into the nearby hazard or going OB.

I asked yesterday if we could use the Rule, same as Overhanging Power Lines. No matter what happens to you ball, you must take that shot again.
Currently it is in the lap of the gods if you get lucky or not.

Any rules on this will be appreciated whatever the outcome
Thank you.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know of two courses on 'common land' within 50 miles of me where they have protective fences to keep out straying sheep or cows. I'm pretty sure they had permission from the R&A to introduce such a rule. I will see if I can find out more.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Where I have played a course with fencing around a green to stop cattle is that they have a local rule that says a ball striking a post or wire of the fence must be replayed.

Spooner

Visit site
I know of two courses on 'common land' within 50 miles of me where they have protective fences to keep out straying sheep or cows. I'm pretty sure they had permission from the R&A to introduce such a rule. I will see if I can find out more.
Thank you rulefan

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They have these at Minchinhampton old course (the one on the common) to keep the cows off. Playing there once a group of cows were standing near the fairway, I asked one of the locals we were playing 'if you hit a cow and your ball lay under it, did you get a free drop' He answered ' No! You get arrested' ?

Spooner

Visit site
They have these at Minchinhampton old course (the one on the common) to keep the cows off. Playing there once a group of cows were standing near the fairway, I asked one of the locals we were playing 'if you hit a cow and your ball lay under it, did you get a free drop' He answered ' No! You get arrested' ?
?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

No you get a pat on the back.