6.3C Wrong bal

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Playing today in a three ball in a medal on a par 3 my playing partner played the wrong ball but spotted it before playing his next shot and didn't finish the hole.
He went back to where he played the wrong ball dropped the right ball and played again from the same place.
What is the ruling on this as in 6.3ci can't see a penalty in the wording.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing today in a three ball in a medal on a par 3 my playing partner played the wrong ball but spotted it before playing his next shot and didn't finish the hole.
He went back to where he played the wrong ball dropped the right ball and played again from the same place.
What is the ruling on this as in 6.3ci can't see a penalty in the wording.

Does anyone really hit the wrong ball ??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We had a similar scenario in my group today, my pp who hits it a country mile, blocked his drive up the 16th into the tree's, played what he thought was his ball, then walked only about 5 paces and found another identical ball (he didn't mark his ball), so he picked up that ball, played out the hole with the first ball, but NR'd the hole as he couldn't 100% confirm which ball was his!

As it was a medal he was NR/DQ from the comp but played out for handicap purposes, plus he went on to get a 2 on the following 17th, so ended up with a return from that.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Of course it's not ridiculous.

The 2s pot is for 2s scored under competition conditions. Once you quit, you are no longer competing under competition conditions. If you look at the official scoreboard, it just lists the quitters as NR.

It could equally be described as ridiculous that players continue to "play for handicap" after they have stopped competing in a qualifying medal.

Obviously, as I already said, it varies from club to club.

?? lets all just walk off the course then when you’ve NR’d, and as for ‘the quitters’, what a term that is ?

All you are is out of the competition if you NR, but for handicap purposes it’s a nett double bogey, so you play on to hopefully either make buffer or as I have done in the past, been cut with a NR in our monthly medal.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did it yesterday in a nine hole bounce game and cost me £5. Hit short and right on 9. Wandered up and saw a Titleist and having not seen where one of my PP's hit it as he was coming from the other side of the hole didn't even think it could be his. I knew where mine had come down so hit it and managed to pitch it to 4 feet to be in the box seat to realise the mistake when the PP went to play his shot. Sheer laziness on my part so no excuses

Springveldt

Visit site
At ours the 2s are totally separate from the comp, you can choose to not enter but if you do and you get a 2 on any hole you are in the money regardless of an NR.

Most comps are stableford as well, you can NR a hole but still win the comp.

Apparently it’s mostly stableford to keep pace of play up.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone really hit the wrong ball ??

I did it in the 2nd round of the Club Championships about 12 years ago. Hit my drive on the 7th down the left edge of the fairway...just drifted off into the first cut. Walked down....found a ball exactly where I expected to find mine which was clearly a Titleist No3 with red dots either side of the number. Played to the green, bent down to mark my ball and found it was a different model Titleist to what I was playing. Walked back to see if I could find my ball and there it was, nestled down a bit, no more than 4 yards from where I'd played the wrong un from.

Did it in an interclub foursomes match once. I was habitually playing a Callaway with blue dots either side of the number but on this occasion we were using my partners ball....he stuck a tee shot out in the rough, I walked forward and found a Callaway with blue dots, played it back to the fairway where he spotted it wasn't the Mizuno that we were playing....purely habit that one...I was conditioned to look for a Callaway with blue dots, found a Callaway with blue dots and played it....totally forgetting we were playing a Mizuno.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like a few other clubs, if you N/R you default from the 2's. Only payable for completed rounds. Don't necessarily agree with the way it is run as surely if you get a 2 BEFORE NR'ing it should count. I guess the club see it as some sort of incentive to stop people NR'ing

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some clubs do and some clubs don't. Neither is right nor wrong providing the terms are set out and clear beforehand.