5i Carry - Am I Still Distinctly Average?

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
I cant hit a 5 iron 218 and a driver 270. Wish i could haha. 218 seems a very specific yardage.

But for your point, yes I agree, I dont want to take power off to get it straight (or perhaps I might a little when next on course) but my instructor seems to have the same philosophy, right from the start he's been more interested in my swing as opposed to where the ball goes, and has never once told me to take anything off it, but rather tries to correct it.

But having read stuff on here, it might be best for me to take a little off it so I can at least try get to under a 100 on the course, I can still then hit as freely and wildly as I like on the range until I get it under control.

I am hoping there is still some distance left in me too. But really for me its just enjoying it, and when I hit it clean and straight, thats when I enjoy it

D

Deleted member 15344

I cant hit a 5 iron 218 and a driver 270. Wish i could haha. 218 seems a very specific yardage.

But for your point, yes I agree, I dont want to take power off to get it straight (or perhaps I might a little when next on course) but my instructor seems to have the same philosophy, right from the start he's been more interested in my swing as opposed to where the ball goes, and has never once told me to take anything off it, but rather tries to correct it.

But having read stuff on here, it might be best for me to take a little off it so I can at least try get to under a 100 on the course, I can still then hit as freely and wildly as I like on the range until I get it under control.

I am hoping there is still some distance left in me too. But really for me its just enjoying it, and when I hit it clean and straight, thats when I enjoy it

It's not how or how far it's how many

I'm not the biggest hitter but I score well - that's the main thing - scoring well and the best way to score well is to have a sharp short game

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Everyone learns to manage their swing, it becomes more consistent over time, as a beginner you should not restrict your potential, which is what you do if you start swinging like a lady, i always looked at it like this, if i can hit my driver 300, i can hit a 3 wood 270 and even as a wild swinger my 3 wood will hit the fairway reasonably often, **** if you miss with a driver at 300 or more on most par 4s you will have wedge left anyway...

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's not how or how far it's how many

I'm not the biggest hitter but I score well - that's the main thing - scoring well and the best way to score well is to have a sharp short game

My dad is a perfect example of someone who scores very very well with the tools he has, he is limited by how far he can hit the ball, he is an 8 handicap at a club that is 6650 yards, but there are a few par 4s he simply cannot reach, he is never going to have a two putt birdie on the downhill par 5s and on one par 4 in particular i doubt he has ever reached the green in regulation. He is a good golfer, the course is simply too big for his game. You could make the fairways half the width, he would still hit them, his score would be unchanged.

Last edited:

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
I agree with both above comments.

Actually, I do agree with the 99 the most. If i had started learning and had only tried to guide the club through but hit the ball cleanly and it carried 100 yards with a 6 (that was first club i held) then I would never of started to feel that snapping feeling when it get to the bottom of the down swing. My swing isnt huge or fast, its just that snap that seems to give it some distance. Now I can take some off it and still feel that snap and weight transfer is easier as it is slower than when hitting full bore.

So in many respects, hitting to my full potential on the range will improve my game quicker than always trying to guide the club and ball. Its only over the last few weeks that I have really had a feel for the club, but if I did what my wife does I dont think i'd ever of had that feel

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
I will join a club next year, there is 6 within 5 miles from me, but some are very long, one is over 7000 yards, most par 4's at about 400 yards.....beginner level as I am, I will try go for one thats ver average. One course is only 5000 yards, i played it and had a nightmare. Definately a course for accuracy. Short holes but it was very difficult

rustyb

Hacker
Visit site
Hitting 30 yards shot of what you hit now would make good scoring basically impossible, you need SOME power and then learn to hit it straight, if (And obviously this is not an option) you were told give up 30 yards and you CAN hit every fairway your scoring would never be great, you would never reach a lot of par 4s, long par 3s would mean hitting drive or not reaching etc...

Giving up 30 yards to hit it straight? dont do it!

oh yes

How do you hit a 5 iron 218 and a driver 270? I hit a 5 iron around that and honestly cannot hit a driver 270 (Too short, feels like swinging in slow motion to produce that yardage( something is wrong with that swing

I think 218 is probably ten yards longer than I actually am with a five iron but thats what game golf is telling me at the moment. I am almost certain there is plenty wrong with the swing!!! The distance is very close to my 3 hybrid(which i dont hit often or particularly well) and about 25 yards shorter than my 3 wood, which i hit quite a bit but not always well. I wish i could drive consistently straight, its such a great feeling when you nail one. My feeling is i should stick it out with the driver and keep persevering, and basically learn to swing and hit it properly with the big stick. Im concerned ive got the wrong driver, i.e. its not as forgiving as it could be. But i just think that the extra distance will be a massive bonus if i can harness it properly.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think 218 is probably ten yards longer than I actually am with a five iron but thats what game golf is telling me at the moment. I am almost certain there is plenty wrong with the swing!!! The distance is very close to my 3 hybrid(which i dont hit often or particularly well) and about 25 yards shorter than my 3 wood, which i hit quite a bit but not always well. I wish i could drive consistently straight, its such a great feeling when you nail one. My feeling is i should stick it out with the driver and keep persevering, and basically learn to swing and hit it properly with the big stick. Im concerned ive got the wrong driver, i.e. its not as forgiving as it could be. But i just think that the extra distance will be a massive bonus if i can harness it properly.

I was looking at Game Golf stats and it seems like a lot of people have weird readings, i put it down to confidence the longer clubs are often shorter

4 and 5 irons not as far as 7 irons or the same, due to crumby strikes v nailing it

A few holes on game golf could be mighty misleading, once you have a good number though fantastic, great system

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was looking at Game Golf stats and it seems like a lot of people have weird readings, i put it down to confidence the longer clubs are often shorter

4 and 5 irons not as far as 7 irons or the same, due to crumby strikes v nailing it

A few holes on game golf could be mighty misleading, once you have a good number though fantastic, great system

At one point I was averaging over 300 with my 4 iron....

then I realized that it was only because I kept forgetting to tag my shots. Some of my best rounds have been on GG....

rustyb

Hacker
Visit site
At one point I was averaging over 300 with my 4 iron....

then I realized that it was only because I kept forgetting to tag my shots. Some of my best rounds have been on GG....

Ha yes this is true, not tagging your shots is an easy way to add some distance and make your score look very good!! It's a good system and it has definitely highlighted a few things for me though.