5 woods

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was going to ask is the 5 wood still relevant but I was bored and pressed the buy it now button on ebay doh!
Anyway by my reasoning I can't hit a deep faced 3w off the deck and my rescue is for rescuing so I thought if I need some distance off the deck in the fairway a 5 wood would be ideal, as it was £40 posted nothing gained nothing lost.
What's your take on 5 woods? Dying breed or still a pulse?

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still have the full drive, 3w, 5w however I think if the 3w was getting dropped, I'd perhaps look at a 4w for that extra bit of distance. Only my opinion though

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
horses for courses

it's a golf club with a set of characteristics that, for most of us (relative) hackers, may or may not suit our foibles.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I like 5 woods, however I'm currently paying a 4 wood and it's going like a dream.

Getting the distance of a 3 wood, with the forgiveness of a 5 wood :thup:

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
I love my 5 wood. I Find it easier to hit off the deck than my old 4 wood and I don't seem to lose any distance.
Fits nicely in the gap between my hybrids and driver too.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a couple of 5 woods in the bag at various times but always seem to go back to carrying 2 hybrids. That was the set up in my original starter set and seems to be one I go back to if my game is not in great shape. There are a few places on my course where one may be useful but I am far more consistent with a 3 hybrid these days so tend to stick with it.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recently got myself a 5 wood and I love it. I find it inspires more confidence than my old hybrid and has a better flight too. I find it my go to club from 200-250yds even though I have a 3 wood, as it is more consistent.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was going to ask is the 5 wood still relevant but I was bored and pressed the buy it now button on ebay doh!
Anyway by my reasoning I can't hit a deep faced 3w off the deck and my rescue is for rescuing so I thought if I need some distance off the deck in the fairway a 5 wood would be ideal, as it was £40 posted nothing gained nothing lost.
What's your take on 5 woods? Dying breed or still a pulse?

Personally I swerve fairway woods and prefer strong lofted hybrids but I think i'm in the minority in that aspect. My perception and understanding is thatk 5 and 7 woods are still fairly popular albeit with the more senior gentlemen amongst us.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I swerve fairway woods and prefer strong lofted hybrids but I think i'm in the minority in that aspect. My perception and understanding is thatk 5 and 7 woods are still fairly popular albeit with the more senior gentlemen amongst us.

A 4-wood for me; but as I'm only 68 I'll soon be old enough to have a 5 and 7 = can't wait!!

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a 4 wood and 2 5 woods, the 5's are great clubs and it's said that us amateurs hit a 5 wood, easier and better and pretty much as a long as 3 woods due to the added loft, and reduced length leading to better contact

Great clubs, much better than lower lofted hybrids for me

D

Deleted member 1147

I use & really like my 5 wood.

I use it off the tee when the 3 wood goes too far, and, I normally use it off the deck rather than my 3 wood.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't hit hybrids so sticking with a 5w and long irons.

Still to decide if I'll have a 3w and 50/58 wedges or leave the 3w out and have 50/56/60 with a 2/3 iron.

Really like 5 woods as they're easy to launch way up in the air for a long carry.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've got a 5 wood and use it quite often off the deck, and on longer par 3's. Great club.
I also carry a 7 wood, which has it's uses, but I've just bought a 4 hybrid which has the same 22 loft, and I'm going to start giving that a bash as it's a little shorter and I feel a little more in control of it.
But I wouldn't get shot of my 5 wood.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dropped my 5 wood in favour of a hybrid. For me, it goes the same distance, but much more dependable.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry a 5 wood and quite like it. I am toying with the idea of switching it to a hybrid, but can't find one I can hit...

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love my 5 wood its been in the bag for 6-7 years. Great off the deck, more accurate than the 3 wood and great off the tee on long par 3's.
Probably my favourite club in the bag.