4BBB 50pts obscene?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
50 is a helluva score but certainly not unattainable between 2 players playing well( really well that is). We had a 4bbb earlier this year and i was off 8 and my partner 6 but we came in with 49 pts which equated to -5 gross(67). Was just one of those days , I had 6 birdies and we had 1 bogie. Everytime one of us messed up the other parred apart from the birdies obviously.

Certainly 2 single figure golfers could reasonably be expected to not score worse than par between them. Factor in the h/c and mid 40's upwards is what i'd expect most 4bbb comps to won with.

Played in a pairs match the other day and with us off 7 and 8 we finished after 15 holes and were -3 gross between us. It's not an uncommon thing tbh and we left plenty of birdie putts out there too. If we can do it then i'm sure the really good players can too

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
50 is a helluva score but certainly not unattainable between 2 players playing well( really well that is). We had a 4bbb earlier this year and i was off 8 and my partner 6 but we came in with 49 pts which equated to -5 gross(67). Was just one of those days , I had 6 birdies and we had 1 bogie. Everytime one of us messed up the other parred apart from the birdies obviously.

Certainly 2 single figure golfers could reasonably be expected to not score worse than par between them. Factor in the h/c and mid 40's upwards is what i'd expect most 4bbb comps to won with.

Played in a pairs match the other day and with us off 7 and 8 we finished after 15 holes and were -3 gross between us. It's not an uncommon thing tbh and we left plenty of birdie putts out there too. If we can do it then i'm sure the really good players can too

I agree full handicaps doable but 3/4 allowance it gets a lot harder

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site

I agree full handicaps doable but 3/4 allowance it gets a lot harder

Absolutely and thats why you dont see more than one or two groups shooting these scores , most people will settle at between 40-44 pts but it takes one of those days that we all talk about and boom , big score.

Lost track of the amount of people who are always going on about having great rounds and then they blow up on 2 or 3 holes , well if you've got a partner whos doing the same and you blow up on different holes then...voila...theres your big score

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure about all the griping here. It only takes one person to have a brilliant day and one to do ok - on the holes where the better one ain't doing so well. I once score 50 points - all on my own, no help, and dead genuine. A one off and never repeated since. If I'd had a partner who had had a decent score on the three holes where I didn't do quite so well we could easily have been 52 or 53 points. It happens. Rare I guess but it happens.

fastmover2

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the conditions you mention at Dartmouth I would agree that 50 points is well in to bandit territory. That sort of score is do able in benign conditions however. Many years ago played in a 4BBB Stableford at Parkstone and we won it with 53 points. Weather was hot and dry and all par 5s were reachable in 2. I never used a wood off the tee all day, just played one iron and my partner a 3 wood. It was embarassing though!

Sorry but this is another reason that the h'cap system needs a re-work IMHO.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Sorry but this is another reason that the h'cap system needs a re-work IMHO.
Not sure where you're coming from there? You can't blame the system for either someone having a fcareer day, or simply outright banditry as may have ahppened here or even cheating as in the case of the txi driver example used above?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It probably has nothing to do with the argument here, but many moons ago, when I was looking to join a club, I drove into the carpark of one of my favoured potential clubs one sunny afternoon to have a look around.

Saw three black cabs parked up.

And turned round and drove off again.

Not saying all cabbies do it, but it has been known for cabbies to skive off work on a decent afternoon, and play a 'few' non handicap forming rounds.

Hence unbelievable score territory when there's something decent to be won. If it had been a few regular guys with accepted accurate handicaps, then this question wouldn't have arisen.

Surely this is what the committee is there for, though. To keep an eye on these sorts of players and ensure that they are as competitive as possible for big events. If someone is seen to spend a lot of time at a club, but never improve, maybe there should be a rule about going round a certain number of times with a committee member. Or just getting a handicap cut, depending on how many times they play, but don't enter a card marked by an 'accepted' member.

It wouldn't stop a true expert cheating, but it would make it more of a pain in the bum for them to do it. I'm sure most of these guys cheat, because it's so easy for them to do it, not because they are born naturally bereft of conscience.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Higher level of control of handicaps and compulsion to submit cards to retain a valid h'cap as we should hopefully get with the new rules coming up.

that won't stop anyone claiming a false handicap when entering an open. too many seem quite happy to claim handicaps they haven't got (and to provide them) so they or a mate can play a course that demands a handicap - not that big a step.

no, the answer is that the host club has to be prepared to contact a random sample of the entrants home courses to check claimed handicaps, and make it known that they will do so.