38 hcp to 27 hcp in a year

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
Am I deluding myself to think that given lots of practice I could realistically lower my handicap by 11 shots this season. I really hope that I can give it a go, I will be captain next season and would love to turn up at friendly matches with a much lower handicap. At the moment I am seriously doubting myself as a future captain.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you have any natural ability at all, or the will power to take lessons and devote some time to practice, very doable.

If you were saying 16 to 5 that’s different story but 38 to 27 - absolutely.

Good luck ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
how long have you been playing and how do you expect to improve?

if you were 14 years old and just started the game id expect you could do that in the summer holidays, if youre 50+ and been playing 20 years then its far less likely

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Depends on a few different things but I would say to get from 38 to 27 should be fairly easy just using course management.

I took myself from rarely breaking 100 (so probably a 28 to 30 handicapper) to an official handicap of 16.1 in a year of taking uo golf properly.

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
Been playing about 4 years but recently retired so able to spend more time playing or practicing golf. Currently scoring 34 points or there about.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been playing about 4 years but recently retired so able to spend more time playing or practicing golf. Currently scoring 34 points or there about.

should be a walk in the proverbial park then :)

work out where you are losing the most shots and the easiest gains are and try and sort those first, likely to be the short game and putting. get a couple of lessons and get practising

good luck and enjoy your captains year

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you are averaging 34 points then you are doing well don’t practice what you are good at practice what your poor at.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It should be easy and working on the short game and putting are the low lying fruits to getting the handicap down. Get better at getting up and down in no more than 3 from 100 yards and reducing 3 putts is the easiest way to shave shots off the handicap. After that lessons to get a consistent swing. Should be achievable

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It should be relatively easy to get to a 27 HC. But without more information about your game all you will get is generic advice.

Personally. I would concentrate on improving tee shots and approach shots. That is where the majority of shots are lost and where the biggest gains are to be made.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not see the correlation between being a Captain of the club and how good a golfer you are.

To me a Captain's roles is all about promotion of the club, being a personable type , willingness to communicate with the members, attending all the functions etc.

Good luck with you quest I know a lot of players who retired found they had more time for golf and improved measurably.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly think almost anyone can get under 28 handicap in a year simply by playing enough - at least once a week but as much as you can. It's just things like course management, having a fairway-finder off the tee, get half decent at chipping, etc. The shots should come down pretty quick. Once you get under 18 it gets a bit harder I think.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Am I deluding myself to think that given lots of practice I could realistically lower my handicap by 11 shots this season. I really hope that I can give it a go, I will be captain next season and would love to turn up at friendly matches with a much lower handicap. At the moment I am seriously doubting myself as a future captain.
Assuming you're not an OAP, then it'd be pretty disappointing not to be well below that 27 target.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the question is just whether you have any limitations. If you can get the ball properly in the air, and hit a 175-200 yd shot off the tee then really you should be able to get there.

Cure of severe slice/hook should be fixable, and then starting by trying to play bogey golf with consistent 7 iron strike to get near green and low risk short game so just getting to two putt territory rather than lob shot over a bunker etc.