36 holes in a day.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Golf seems to be a harder sport than I realised, at least for 70 year olds like me. I entered our club's Scratch Championship yesterday, which was two 18 hole rounds on the same day. I was OK for the first 27 holes, but after that my legs hurt, my back hurt, my shoulders hurt, and pretty much everything else hurt. My drives which are normally 210-220 yards and pretty straight came down to about 150 yards, usually low weak hooks, so my game in general suffered. For the last 3 or 4 holes I could hardly even walk! :(

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am not surprised. I never tried to play more than 18 holes on a day, but I played an 18 hole round yesterday which lasted 6 h 20 min because of two thunderstorm interruptions (one of which demanded quite a bit of extra walking, because we had to get to the nearest shelter and then back out, then realized there was still lightning in the area, so going back another time). My body pretty much went into shut down after about 5 1/2 hrs and I am still totally knackered today. I think if I ever intended to play more than 18 holes, I really had to work up towards it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

To be honest Del, I think at your age you have done pretty well to get round 36 in a day. I feel fatigued now and I'm quite a bit younger than you are.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I knocked 36 holes on the head this year, always played ok in the first round and then feel mentally and physically drained by the last 9 holes.

if you are still doing them at 70 fair play, i'm 20 years younger and just can't manage if now.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I knocked 36 holes on the head this year, always played ok in the first round and then feel mentally and physically drained by the last 9 holes.

if you are still doing them at 70 fair play, i'm 20 years younger and just can't manage if now.

I think I will stick to the Seniors Club Championship next year, because that is only one 18 hole round!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed.

There's no doubt that fatigue becomes a huge issue once the simple act of walking 12 miles makes any impact on you - and where it's medal play mental fatigue is always a factor from hole 1!

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf seems to be a harder sport than I realised, at least for 70 year olds like me. I entered our club's Scratch Championship yesterday, which was two 18 hole rounds on the same day. I was OK for the first 27 holes, but after that my legs hurt, my back hurt, my shoulders hurt, and pretty much everything else hurt. My drives which are normally 210-220 yards and pretty straight came down to about 150 yards, usually low weak hooks, so my game in general suffered. For the last 3 or 4 holes I could hardly even walk! :(

Im 34 and 36 holes a day would be a challenge for me a challenge I think Id pass but still tough,
Trying that at 70 I gotta give you some credit for just trying it

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played 36 holes last week in a county match - 18 holes foursomes (which went to the 18th) and 18 holes singles in the afternoon. My feet were killing me but otherwise felt ok - no doubt though that some mental fatigue sets in during the 2nd round!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't mind doing it for individual medals, but this season will probably be the last playing scratch 36 holes for the club. Morning 4'somes OK but by the last few holes of the singles in the afternoon the mental fatigue causes me to make too many mistakes.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played a few 36 events recently and for me it's all about pacing yourself physically (I have little choice if I want to complete the day), keeping hydrated and being able to switch off between shots. Concentrating like mad all day would send anyone peculiar. Quite enjoy the challenge myself.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I've not played our Club Championship for several years because it's 36 in a day. I can do it physically, but concentration for 8 hours plus is too much.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One of my playing partners won the handicapped section with nett 73 + 67 off the very back championship tees (CSS was 74). He seemed to be draining 30 and 40 foot putts for fun all day, whereas I was getting them close but just missing! He said that he doesn't normally putt that well, but it does make such a difference. His handicap has been cut from 14 to 12. My other playing partner was a very long hitter, but rather wild. I think he lost 9 golf balls during the two rounds! I lost one in the course of running up an 8 on our shortest par 3 in round 2. :(

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Did you think you could win the Scratch?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Did you think you could win the Scratch?

Fairly unlikely, although my two best ever rounds would have come close. There were also handicapped prizes.

P.S. as I missed the buffer zone in both rounds (quite badly in Round 2), my handicap went up 0.2 in one day, although my playing handicap remains the same. :(

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
fair play to any of you older folks who still get round 36 holes, am only just getting back round 18 again at the moment and cant see me ever risking playing 36 in a day again