300yrd drive... It's another game

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok mate no probs.
It certainly looks like you will be single figures this year without a doubt.
Must admit that's impressive.

Put it this way, if I'm not into single figures by the end of the season I'll be very disappointed!!
I've played in 3 comps at our place so far this season but because it's been so wet in places they've had to leave preferred lies everywhere on!! And in two of those comps I've shot 44 and 43 points lol that should have cut me a few!!

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
I couldn't drive 300 yards if my life depended on it, I'd be happy to hit it as far as some on the LPGA.

Played with a couple of big hitters who were pretty accurate, good to watch that big high draw fly from the tee. But is it poor etiquette to have a wee chuckle to yourself when one flies past your 230 on the fairway and lands in the drink? :)

Very poor lol

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
As soon as i saw this thread i though it would get some folks back up. Why is distance such a sensitive subject? Its not like they're saying they have the biggest penis and all others are tiny!
Personly i think distance is important but there is an area between control and smashing it that golfers need to find. Below are my yardages and this proves what a stupid attitude i had when i started

Playing off 23
Driver 280-310
5 iron 205
7 iron 185

Playing off 12
Driver 260/270
5 iron 185
7 iron 165

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
As soon as i saw this thread i though it would get some folks back up. Why is distance such a sensitive subject? Its not like they're saying they have the biggest penis and all others are tiny!
Personly i think distance is important but there is an area between control and smashing it that golfers need to find. Below are my yardages and this proves what a stupid attitude i had when i started

Playing off 23
Driver 280-310
5 iron 205
7 iron 185

Playing off 12
Driver 260/270
5 iron 185
7 iron 165

I've certainly taken a bit off my irons over the past year, my swing with an iron is a much easier smooth swing than with my driver!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Playing off 23
Driver 280-310
5 iron 205
7 iron 185

Playing off 12
Driver 260/270
5 iron 185
7 iron 165

To be honest it certainly hasn't got my backup.
What it does to is open your eyes and gets you questioning wether it could be true.
A 14 handicapper hitting it 320 is no problem,hitting 7-9 fairways get me thinking.
Purely because its better than the pros and they are plus 7 not 14.
Its like me saying I get up and down out of a bunker 9 times out of 10 when the average
is probably 6

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Put it this way, if I'm not into single figures by the end of the season I'll be very disappointed!!
I've played in 3 comps at our place so far this season but because it's been so wet in places they've had to leave preferred lies everywhere on!! And in two of those comps I've shot 44 and 43 points lol that should have cut me a few!!

Looking at how your handicap moved last year, if you are hitting your driver that well then I would have thought you would hit the magical 9.4 this season.

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
To be honest it certainly hasn't got my backup.
What it does to is open your eyes and gets you questioning wether it could be true.
A 14 handicapper hitting it 320 is no problem,hitting 7-9 fairways get me thinking.
Purely because its better than the pros and they are plus 7 not 14.
Its like me saying I get up and down out of a bunker 9 times out of 10 when the average
is probably 6

Mate I personally have no reason to go on a forum to make B/S up, but I can also see your point, I know that my 14 h/cp tag isn't doing my claim any good but to be fair my games come on that much over winter that I'm sure I should be in single figures now!!
Either that or the fairways at my place are extraordinarily wide lol

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Either that or the fairways at my place are extraordinarily wide lol

That is a crucial factor

My FiR at old NZ club 51%
My FiR at new UK club 70%

They are massively wider here :D

Well done on your game, you'll not be long till you hit single figures, keep us posted :thup:

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
That is a crucial factor

My FiR at old NZ club 51%
My FiR at new UK club 70%

They are massively wider here :D

Well done on your game, you'll not be long till you hit single figures, keep us posted :thup:

Thanks mate, when I started playing golf about 19 months ago I never thought I'd be telling people "I think I should be in single figures" lol

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Tbf if you are putting drives 9 times a round 300+ on to fairway! based on average course length you should be aiming for a lot lower than single figures. You get your irons as good as your driver and we will be watching you picking up a green jacket in the next couple of years. Keep it up ! ;-)

TogoPresley

Visit site
This is my first post, so apologies in advance for breaking all sorts of protocol, but why is there so much doubting this guy?
I don't play comps so my hcap is dormant but lets say mid-high teens. I play with two friends who between us have an equal share of wins, ie we are all similar handicaps to dan1984. One of our group when on song has similar drives to Dan1984, that doesn't mean he is heading for single figure handicap, he has plenty of other faults to allow me to beat him too.

On a different note I am in San Diego at moment and played Torrey Pines North and South at weekend. What a challenge! South greens are ice. My group were warned for slow play due to number of putts �� I played North with a tm rep who plays off 2 - what a sight! He had the new sldr mini in his bag too. Very interesting.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... I've seen so few 300's in the flesh that it was impressive to see a ball do that but I do think its exceptional (in both senses)

Little surprised at the lack of reaction to a cheese baguette being offered for £18+ though!
(It wasn't even the latest TM SLDR baguette either :) )

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I became a much more consistent player when I learn't to hit the ball easier. When I use to smash the arse off everything it was fantastic, when the timing was on. When it wasn't it was anoyones guess where the ball would go. Back in those days I could hit range balls over the back fence at most driving ranges. But I could also hit just as many over hte fences at the sides.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I couldn't hit 300 yards other than downhill, down wind on parched fairways. I accept that. My FIR average for 2014 is 49% about average for my handicap. If I can get it in play more regularly then I give myself more chance to find GIR's or play into areas that favour my game. If I can get FIR towards 55-60% then I'd be happy