300yrd drive... It's another game

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm the same as you buddy, I've come to accept that I might hit a few big but bad tee shots in a round, but that's my game and I too wouldn't change it!!
Instead I've been working hard on my chipping and putting which has bought my game on so much, I WILL get into single figures this season!!
I will admit to taking great pleasure watching players off 5 or less looking bemused when a crappy 14 hacker nails a 320+ drive!!

Just in case anybody is wondering if this is forum yardages or real I can assure you its real.

I have seen it live :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't hit it 300 yards - can hit the odd one I think when conditions are right but I would always prefer to hit the fairway and then hit the green with my second as opposed to just hitting big

I have played with mid handicappers who hit it past me then look it me smugly - they then proceed to miss the green and take three to get up and down as I either par or birdie - but still smug that they out drive me

As the saying goes - drive for show !

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
A crappy 14 handicapper hitting 320 yard drives and hitting the short stuff.
Of course im not saying it never happens but its rare.

I'd say on average I'd hit the fairway with a big drive about 7-9 times. But as you can see by my handicap reductions last year I'm heading in the right direction, the more I work on the business end the better my game becomes

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't hit it 300 yards - can hit the odd one I think when conditions are right but I would always prefer to hit the fairway and then hit the green with my second as opposed to just hitting big

I have played with mid handicappers who hit it past me then look it me smugly - they then proceed to miss the green and take three to get up and down as I either par or birdie - but still smug that they out drive me

As the saying goes - drive for show !

Totally agree, which is why I've put a lot of time into the putt for dough part lol

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say on average I'd hit the fairway with a big drive about 7-9 times. But as you can see by my handicap reductions last year I'm heading in the right direction, the more I work on the business end the better my game becomes

Hold up ive just arrived on cookoo land.
Seriously 7 out of 9 is just not true,especially out at 300 yards.

I will tell you what a 5 handicapper will say to himself if you hit a 320 yard drive on the first[bandit]
then after your 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th he would understand why you were a 14 handicap.

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
Hold up ive just arrived on cookoo land.
Seriously 7 out of 9 is just not true,especially out at 300 yards.

I will tell you what a 5 handicapper will say to himself if you hit a 320 yard drive on the first[bandit]
then after your 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th he would understand why you were a 14 handicap.

I don't understand why I'd need to come on here and lie about how many fairways I've hit and how far they go??

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't understand why I'd need to come on here and lie about how many fairways I've hit and how far they go??

It appears it's a regular occurrence

There was some guy who used to post bragging about big distances then proceeded to top it 5 yards at a meet

It is dubious when you read mid to high handicappers hitting clubs distances Pro's struggle to hit

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think it is because you listen to people go on about how far they can hit the driver when in reality their average is not even close to what they think it is. For some like me who are probably up the big hitting end of the scale for a club golfer would still be very average on tour. Then when someone comes on here saying they are averaging distances like the big hitters on tour, well people just find it hard to believe. But having said that I have played with club golfers that hit it 20-30 yards past me, so it is not impossible.

kozmos

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree, which is why I've put a lot of time into the putt for dough part lol

In the midweek stableford couple of weeks backs I hit the middle of the green on our 320 yard par 4 4th, then proceeded to 4 putt for a bogey 1point... to the amusement of my playing partner. .. its still haunting me! Managed to get a chuckle back though after he was 4 under gross standing on the 17th tee and finished bogey double for a 1 under 69 :whistle:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is because you listen to people go on about how far they can hit the driver when in reality their average is not even close to what they think it is. For some like me who are probably up the big hitting end of the scale for a club golfer would still be very average on tour. Then when someone comes on here saying they are averaging distances like the big hitters on tour, well people just find it hard to believe. But having said that I have played with club golfers that hit it 20-30 yards past me, so it is not impossible.

They do mate but they don't average 7 out of 9 fairways.

Dan1984

Club Champion
Visit site
Nor do I.
I do believe what your actually saying is your stats are better than any pro playing today.
Perhaps you just don't understand what your actually saying.

I understand exactly what I'm saying pal!! Yesterday for example I hit 7 drives down the middle so to speak and 2 just off by a couple of feet all between 270-345 (wind hurting a bit on some and helping a bit on others)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand exactly what I'm saying pal!! Yesterday for example I hit 7 drives down the middle so to speak and 2 just off by a couple of feet all between 270-345 (wind hurting a bit on some and helping a bit on others)

Ok mate no probs.
It certainly looks like you will be single figures this year without a doubt.
Must admit that's impressive.

C

c1973

I couldn't drive 300 yards if my life depended on it, I'd be happy to hit it as far as some on the LPGA.

Played with a couple of big hitters who were pretty accurate, good to watch that big high draw fly from the tee. But is it poor etiquette to have a wee chuckle to yourself when one flies past your 230 on the fairway and lands in the drink? :)