3 Wood Easy to Hit but Long

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, after 2 years I have finally sold my house and am going to have a little golf spend to celebrate.

I am happy with most of my bag but would like another 3 wood option. This season I have gone back to my old Adams A3. it is reliable club but because it is a hybrid/3 wood cross it is a bit on the short side and my Benross 5 wood is now covering a similar distance. The lack of distance has not mattered with the extra run in the summer but now the course is getting wet there are a couple of par 4s that I cannot reach in 2 of the whites and a par 3 that can only just get to.

Anyway, what I am looking for is a 3 wood that is all about distance with a bit of forgiveness thrown in. It will mainly be for fairway use. I am planning a trip up to Direct Golf to try and few tomorrow and am certainly looking to try a Nike Machspeed, the Callaway Diablo Edge and the Cobra S2 so any comments on these that anyone has or any other options would be helpful. If I cannot be tempted by one of them then it is back to the club on Saturday to try a G15 or off to another local club to try the latest Benross offerrings

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had the following over the last couple of years and theyre all good. You wont go far wrong with any of these.

The G10 was probably m favourite.

Ping G10
Ping i15
Nike Dymo
Nike VR

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Try the TM superspeed. The lighter shaft (even in stiff) should promote faster clubhead speed and so longer distance.

I go with Homer on that one. Dont have one myself but the TM Superspeed range does everything that you say you want

Chris

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I love my Cleveland launcher - I see you've got the 5 wood. Maybe try the new DST version of the Launcher. Another light shafted club to help swing it faster. Plenty of forgiveness too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a Cleveland Hi Bore XLS (not sure they make them still) but was pleasantly surprised by its performance which is why its never left the bag so I'd have a look at Cleveland - bit of an unsung name compared to some on here

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
GB,
I have the Cobra S2 reg 15deg......I cant praise it enough......I dont use a driver and off the tee this is long and very forgiving off all areas of the face.....The ball flight is more Mid than high with a slight draw and its easy off the fairway also......
Try it ill bet you'll like it! ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Helpful answer
I wouldn't recommend the 909f2 that I have now as I don't think it's a very forgiving club, but before it I had a Mizuno F50 3 wood and F60 5 wood and they were both easy to hit off the tee or the fairway. I think they're an old model too so you should be able to find them cheap.

Unhelpful answer
If the only reason you want to change is to get more distance to help you reach the longer par 4's I'd bet a pound to a penny that you'd score better by hitting a 5 iron short then pitching on.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're interested, Sudbrook Moor (near Grantham) are having a Ping demo day this afternoon. Might be worth popping in and trying their 3 wood range. I know I'll be there :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you're interested, Sudbrook Moor (near Grantham) are having a Ping demo day this afternoon. Might be worth popping in and trying their 3 wood range. I know I'll be there :)

Wish I could get there. I started out at Sudbrook and would love to go back try some clubs and have a knock about.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you look up a golf dictionary for "3 wood easy to hit but long", there will be a picture of a Tour Edge club.

http://exoticsgolf.com/xcg-3-fairway.html

Thanks Ethan, that's my credit card maxed out then. I have been looking for a decent 4 wood for ages (don't like Ping, and the Nike VR is too near my 5w in terms of loft). Only hope I can hit the blimmen thing when it arrives. Might have to write a review, before I stick it in the for sale section.

A

Alex1975

Try the TM superspeed. The lighter shaft (even in stiff) should promote faster clubhead speed and so longer distance.

I go with Homer on that one. Dont have one myself but the TM Superspeed range does everything that you say you want

Chris

I will 3rd this, its long and easy to hit, just what your looking for.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Mizuno MX700 - if they have one it's worth a try

Just bought a 3 and 5 wood from Clubhouse golf for £130 the pair. Did try the 3 wood when i had a mizzie fitting but was too expensive at the time. Very long and high launching. Perfect off the tee, but the large club head may not be to everones taste off the fairway.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's face it. Modern clubs are SOOO good and almost anything will hit it miles. I've gone back to traditional (TM) from square (Nike) and my 3 wood goes like a bomb off both tee and fairway.

It may be me, but I've come to the conclusion that you can't buy distance with max' forgiveness, so go for the most "good/better player" club you can realistically use.

Oh, and if distance is the objective, probably lighter and not too stiff graphite.