3 putting

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my last ten rounds I average 4 3 putts per round, and the last 3 rounds have contained a 4 putt on top of the 3 putts. I had 37 putts on Saturday, 22 out, and 15 back. Finally made the plunge and decided a new putter may well be the answer, it sure hasn't been lessons. My main issue is leaving putts short, I'm confident once greens improve and I can apply some more structured practise things will improve, but shooting gross 80 with 37 putts is hugely frustrating.

Ouch. I did the same with 36 putts on Saturday. Greens are awful. Hit my lines and pace was good. Not one bit bothered.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
xvWrJ2jKnpPXfLcLgqJvB-768-80.jpg

I've been having the exact same problem..........one of these arrived today. Maiden journey tomorrow.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Today's round, the first hole I hit green in regulation but then four putted.... :eek:
Went on to add three 3-putts!
36 putts total.

Our greens still haven't recovered from recent coring and sanding, they could do with a proper rolling or ironing if that can be done this early in the year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Last game was on Saturday. I two-putted 17 holes then got down in two from 30 yards to par the last. 35 putts. More to do with the current state of the greens - my excuse - sticking to it.

I spent two summers putting before attempting to hit the ball in the air a bit.

So I could recommend that approach. Spend two years putting and no other golf. That should sort you out. But you will have to take it as seriously as I did.
Mind you, those first two summers for me were in the 1960s.

I've changed my putter this year. This is big news!

I've used a Ben Sayers Opel Line 1 that I bought brand new in 1989 for £25. But I've recently upgraded to the Opel Line 3 that I bought last year for £2. Pretty much mint condition.
:poop: at both ends, maybe. But I'm happy with it, thanks.

D

Deleted member 23270

No, no, no. The modern school of marginal gains based on statistical analysis is you have to buy a new driver.
You could be onto something here because I have 4 putters but only 1 driver :unsure:

D

Deleted member 23270

What grinds do you have on the putters? Do you use a different one depending on whether the putt is uphill/downhill or across a slope?
Good question! AFAIK it is the standard 'normal green speed' grind. Should I get the grind changed as the greens speed up in summer?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our greens are small...which should make 3 putts less likely...except 9 of them have significant steps...and that makes three putting rather easy. Answer is improve approach shots to get ball closer on the 9 flatter greens and on the right level on the 9 stepped greens. Easy.

D

Deleted member 1147

Good question! AFAIK it is the standard 'normal green speed' grind. Should I get the grind changed as the greens speed up in summer?
Surely you have different putters for different grass types as well - poa annua, bermuda, fecue, bluegrass, bentgrass, zoysia etc etc

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely you have different putters for different grass types as well - poa annua, bermuda, fecue, bluegrass, bentgrass, zoysia etc etc

I'm working on the bottom end of my bag and have a light blade for downhill putts and a mallet for uphill ones and flat ones
I'm wondering if I need an in-between for those awkward sidehill jobs and ditch a hybrid.

D

Deleted member 23270

No, I just keep a stimpmeter in my bag. Over 10 I use a blade putter, less than 10 I use a mallet.

D

Deleted member 3432

Simple solution is to hole more approach shots and take the putter out of play altogether :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I ever find an answer to this problem I would copyright the solution and make a mall fortune.

Personal best for number of putts in a round 22, yesterday 37 - 11 makeable putts missed.

Same putter.