3 putt country

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. It looks to me like what would help you is practising >4ft putts. I have improved since I had a lesson on this distance. My backswing was too long and I was deaccelerating through impact. The drill the pro gave me was to place a tee peg 4-6 inches behind my putter and make a backswing without touching the tee peg. This gave me the feeling of speeding up through impact although I probably was not. If I have only a few minutes on the putting green prior to going out this is what I practise. Once I have nailed 3 x 3 footers I increase it to 4...then 5...etc...

Only my opinion. Please dont shoot me ;-)

Interestingly, my pro says different to your pro! The short backswing, accelerating through to a longer follow through, does stop deceleration but does mean that you hit the ball rather than stroke it. The top players definitely stroke it with only a slight difference in length between backswing and through. I used to do the former and thought i was a good putter - now I've been taught the latter, my putting is much better as most putts look like they have a chance with consistent length.

I guess it's down to personal technique... :D Just my opinion :whistle:;)

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site
Interestingly, my pro says different to your pro! The short backswing, accelerating through to a longer follow through, does stop deceleration but does mean that you hit the ball rather than stroke it. The top players definitely stroke it with only a slight difference in length between backswing and through. I used to do the former and thought i was a good putter - now I've been taught the latter, my putting is much better as most putts look like they have a chance with consistent length.

I guess it's down to personal technique... :D Just my opinion :whistle:;)

It just goes to show there are different ways to achieve the same result (in this instance better short putting). In reality I do not think I am actually accelerating through but it feels like it as I could feel myself severely deaccelerating before and I could not stop myself from doing it. It was very apparent on short puts. This is not something I would take out onto the course but what I try to imitate is that feeling through impact. I have tried a lot of putting drills and this is the only one that has helped me but maybe not for everybody because not everybody has the same problem(s) with their technique.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The trouble is that our greens especially this time of year are so slow and they are so big that you have to hit putts bloody hard at times. I'm not using that as an excuse because good putters will adjust to the conditions and there are some very good putters at our place.