3 putt country

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a good day today but a tinge disappointed as I left a few points out there. 3 stabbed on 5 occasions which is very, very, very frustrating.

At the moment anything outside 15ft and its 3 putt country for me. :(

Most of the time I am getting good lines but leave woefully short or go racing by. Anyone been here before and what did you do to improve?

D

deanobillquay

My putting is abysmal, I think the only way is a couple of lessons.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your reads are good and your hitting the lines you pick then surely all you can do is practice a bit more? It doesnt sound like your technique is in any question.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a 1 hour intensive lesson 2 weeks ago and a huge improvement as it told me what I did well and what I didn't (I arc too much).

Also prior to that, to stop stabbing at the shorter ones, I read on here a tip to aim to follow through twice as far as the backswing and it worked well.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my putting sucked today, then again all my game sucked today. No change there :)

its tricky this time of year, I found the greens inconsistent pace wise as at 1st it was slightly frosty, some were damp others drier later on once sun was up a while.. nightmare!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our greens are slowing down big time and it's not necessarily a flaw in technique that causes the 3 putt but simply looking at the speed and convincing yourself to increase the speed in order to get the 1st putt closer.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had a good day today but a tinge disappointed as I left a few points out there. 3 stabbed on 5 occasions which is very, very, very frustrating.

Most of the time I am getting good lines but leave woefully short or go racing by. Anyone been here before and what did you do to improve?

Could be you are focusing on technique and forgetting about 'feel'.

During practice try 'rolling' a few from your nemesis distance like in bowling, bet you don't focus on your feet or anything else except the distance, try and capture that feeling in your putting again.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could be you are focusing on technique and forgetting about 'feel'.

During practice try 'rolling' a few from your nemesis distance like in bowling, bet you don't focus on your feet or anything else except the distance, try and capture that feeling in your putting again.

I am focussing on my technique because I've been so c**p putting in recent months I've had to make changes. I will give your suggestion a try and see if it helps me develop a bit more feel thanks.

I counted back on yesterdays round, here are my stats on 3 stabs.....

Hole 1, GIR in 2 about 20 ft away. first putt short 4 ft, missed second putt
Hole 3, GIR in 2 about 20-25ft away, first putt level with hole but pushed right, missed second putt from 3ft (side hiller)
Hole 6. On apron about 15-20ft away, went racing past hole by about 4ft. Missed the one back.
Hole 12 par 4, 25ft putt for eagle, on line but 4ft short, missed birdie putt settled for par (felt like a bogey)
Hole 13 GIR in 2, about 20-25ft away short again, missed tiddler
Hole 14 tough par 3, GIR, missed birdie putt and left it 3-4ft from hole. then a lip out, putted for bogey (mutter several expletives). :mad:

I'd much rather stiff it into the trees off the tee and make a bogey that way instead of GUR and 3 putt:mad::mad::angry:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
looks like a lack of confidence from 3-5 ft

I would practise those more than the 20-25 footers. 25 ft to 4ft is not dasoustrous but missing a plethora of 4footers is (I am guilty as charged of that aswell :) )

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You say "Missed the return" or "Missed tiddler" but is there any pattern to the miss I.E Push or pull?

My uneducated guess would be you've either got a bit of lower body movement in your stroke (Push/pull) or you're getting "handsy" with your putts.

I also agree with Gibbo about it being mental. Once something like this gets in your head it can wreck your game.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there is not such a thing as this,it is all in the mind,if your looking at a putt and saying " i'm not going to get this one " what kind of attitude is that,mental attitude and plenty of practise BUT getting on the green and then the head goes down is not the way to getting better,i practise lag putting for an hour or so a couple of times a week,place a few tee pegs at different distances from the cup say at 4 ft down to 1 foot and play my putts to the desired one all from the 20 ft range it is surprising how easy it becomes rather than trying to hole out,it becomes second nature when playing in comps and is surprising how many 20ft+ putts i hole out.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
there is not such a thing as this,it is all in the mind,if your looking at a putt and saying " i'm not going to get this one " what kind of attitude is that,mental attitude and plenty of practise BUT getting on the green and then the head goes down is not the way to getting better,i practise lag putting for an hour or so a couple of times a week,place a few tee pegs at different distances from the cup say at 4 ft down to 1 foot and play my putts to the desired one all from the 20 ft range it is surprising how easy it becomes rather than trying to hole out,it becomes second nature when playing in comps and is surprising how many 20ft+ putts i hole out.

I do something similar when I practice.

Difference being I put a tee peg 18"-2ft behind the hole then try an putt out from different distances, upto about 10ft. The goal being to try and hole the putt, but if it misses then the ball finishes between the hole and the tee peg PAST the hole.

When getting out to about 15ft-20ft, the goal remains the same. To give the ball enough pace to get the ball past the hole but only 18"-2ft.

Never up, never in :thup:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Been there and sorted it out very quickly. My putting was killing my scores up until August. My line was normally good but my length was poor. I sorted this out very easily. I know people are probably getting fed up with hearing about it but I got a V-easy.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This is a drill I would recommend... (you can change the distances to suit)

For approx 20ft putts:

Put a tee in the ground at 15ft and hit 5 balls to it
Then put a tee in at 17ft and hit 4 balls to it and one to the 15ft
Then put a tee in at 19ft and hit 3 balls to it, one to the 17ft and one to the 15ft
Then put a tee in at 21ft and hit 2 balls to it, one to the 19ft, one to the 17ft and one to the 15ft.

It gives you the feel of taking something OFF your putts rather than wondering just how hard you need to ADD to a putt. Worked for me when I used to be a better golfer :p

Nothing worse than just banging putts at a target 20ft away.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have heared that the 2 ball can be a hard putter to judge longer distances, i have had one and i think its true

I have the the white hot Rossie ( the white Ice is too firm ) and i can judge pace very well

Tip regardless if you try a new putter, practice at home a set putt say 15ft until its second nature

Then when playing apart from grass / greens the distance will be easier to gauge as it has become your stock go to length

With my Rossie i am confident 6ft or closer and would aim to hole 80%

With a HCP of 10 you must be doing everything else OK

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site
looks like a lack of confidence from 3-5 ft

I would practise those more than the 20-25 footers. 25 ft to 4ft is not dasoustrous but missing a plethora of 4footers is (I am guilty as charged of that aswell :) )

I agree. It looks to me like what would help you is practising >4ft putts. I have improved since I had a lesson on this distance. My backswing was too long and I was deaccelerating through impact. The drill the pro gave me was to place a tee peg 4-6 inches behind my putter and make a backswing without touching the tee peg. This gave me the feeling of speeding up through impact although I probably was not. If I have only a few minutes on the putting green prior to going out this is what I practise. Once I have nailed 3 x 3 footers I increase it to 4...then 5...etc...

Only my opinion. Please dont shoot me ;-)

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some very good drills mentioned on here, and sounds like a confidence issue rather than technique.

But if all else fails, come to the Dark Side..................... and use a cheat stick I find it superb.