3 Clubs and a putter

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I organised a "3 Clubs and a putter" comp in 2017 for our Seniors, but I'd described it as a 4 club competition. In 2018 I'd intended to run the same comp but did describe it as "3 clubs and a putter". A couple of players asked why I'd change the comp! Apparently, in 2017 one player used a 5i to putt and another used a hybrid. Consequently I redescribed the 2018 comp as a 4 club comp. They were happier to play without a putter to give them greater options through the green.

We moved the date to the summer to try to give an option of walking around with the 4 clubs in your hand and to negate the need for a bag. (An electric trolley with a big bag containing just 4 clubs is a bit strange - some of members struggle to carry a bag.) I recall the weather thwarted us.

I know if it was 3/4 clubs without putter being specified I would drop the putter and putt with a wedge

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
3 hybrid, 8 iron, gap wedge ... that is pretty much the setup I play all winter, just that I also take my driver, but that is the club I would drop if I had to reduce it further.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally would not bother playing in these.

If you have loads of time and no other courses to play then fair enough, but for me is just a bit too extreme to really keep it enjoying.
My last club used to make this a Sunday and I played it the 1st year, then was annoyed at going up 0.1 and so would make a point of arranging a game at another course that day.
A 6 or 8 club challenge might be a better idea.

But in the interests of making a response, round my current course I'd be 3 wood, 6 iron, PW.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Personally would not bother playing in these.
My last club used to make this a Sunday and I played it the 1st year, then was annoyed at going up 0.1 ...................
A 6 or 8 club challenge might be a better idea.

I was under the impression that any competition with limitations and restrictions such as 3 clubs + putter, 8 clubs, etc etc could not be a qualifier for handicap purposes.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was under the impression that any competition with limitations and restrictions such as 3 clubs + putter, 8 clubs, etc etc could not be a qualifier for handicap purposes.

I just assumed this when I entered it, but this wasn't the case. This was probably 2011 or so right enough.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We actually did this at our club last Sunday. I went with 5i, 8i and 56* wedge. Played quite well and it was fun but should have gone with the 52* instead. Tried hitting the 56* harder and all it did was spin more. Certainly makes you think about plotting your way around and shaping your shots.