3 clubs and a putter... crazy goings on!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a 3 club comp but one must be a putter and scores are always a surprise, guys usually score way better than with a full bag.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Weighed down by the extra weight perhaps?

When I returned to my Scottish club, the first time I matched the handicap I'd dropped to was at a 3 clubs + Putter comp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you know which clubs she used in the three club? I'm intrigued. Probably a case of using clubs she thinks she's supposed to use a lot of the time but can't actually hit. Whereas on the three clubs she just selected her favourite ones. It's often said that high handicappers would shoot better just hitting a 7 iron round for example.

D

Deleted member 23270

This type of competition often improves course management as people think more about where they don't want to hit the ball because they don't have the required club to recover.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done that lady.

I am hopefully playing in a 7 club comp @Royal Dornoch in July. Not sure what to have. I was thinking:
Driver
5Wood
7 wood
Hybrid 7
52 degrees
Putter and 1 more. Unsure whether I dare admit but perhaps my “famous chipper”!

Any thoughts of what you would take

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We have a 3 club comp but one must be a putter and scores are always a surprise, guys usually score way better than with a full bag.

I always tend to score well in our 4-club events. It’s amazing the impact over-clubbing and swinging well within myself has on my ball striking. And a pity I never take that lesson onto the course when I’m carrying a full set ?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A few years ago , maybe around 2014 one of my best scores that year was in a 4 club competition. Using 20 degree hybrid, 7 iron, 52 deg wedge, putter
Didn't really make sense ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They say take the mid iron you need for any par 3s you have. Reckon I’d take my 2 iron, 7 and wedge.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Last time I played in a 4-club comp at my club was 10 years ago. 21 degree hybrid, 6 iron, PW and putter. It was only 9-holes, made two birdies, a 2 and a 4 on a par-5, where I hit a PW to 3ft after two shots with the hybrid, one-over par for the 9 and 19 points to win the comp. No-one seemed happy for me and I've not been aware of another such comp at my club since.

Mike79

Visit site
Just played a 3 clubs & putter today… 3h, 7 iron, 52deg. Doing it again I’d go driver, 8 iron, 56deg. In a regular game I’m driver off every tee other than the par 3s. I should have stuck with that, and then just played 2 shots into each green. Overthought it. Enjoyed though, despite 28 points (20 of which were the back 9!)

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find it interesting how many people score almost better. Is it a case of less expectations heading out and playing in a relaxing manner?