3 club challenge

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Strange game, golf. I find that I can go round with just 3 clubs -
Driver I can also use off the fairway, 5 iron, Pitching wedge I can also use to putt using the leading edge and get out of the bunker - and still get as good as score as I'm likely to have got using a full set. There is little doubt in my mind as to which club to hit, so golf as a metaphor for frustration doesn't affect me so much!
I've heard this several times before. Like the assistant who won the local 3 club challenge with just a 7 iron, sand wedge and putter. He also claimed to have broken par for the round.
Sometimes wonder if all these club manufacturers are trying to deceive us. Also, what about the huge mark-up on the price of clubs. The lowest handicap I had was 10, so I suppose that is a factor, but golf is all about inspiration, isn't it?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Said it numerous times, most would score better if they his a 7 iron off the tee rather than driver.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Said it numerous times, most would score better if they his a 7 iron off the tee rather than driver.

Don't I know it! Played last week, 2 holes in a row i always struggle with and it was blowing a hoolie to add to it. Left driver in the bag and hit 2 lovely crisp 5 irons off each tee which put me in lovely positions for the rest of the holes (which I then buggered up, but that's another story!) The next long hole, 5 iron? Nope, got the driver out and proceeded to find the trees with my ball never to be seen again!

My 3 clubs and a putter choice is 22º hybrid, 7/8 iron and 54º wedge. Covers me for just about everything I need, i reckon.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why not leave the putter out of the bag and putt with the leading edge of a pitching wedge? I'm amazed this works well.
I still think I need a driver off the tee for a par 4 or 5, but as Hale Irwin once said there aren't many par 5's you can't reach with 3 well hit 5 irons.
So the salesman who wants to sell you a putter for £200, keep your old putter and save that for a dozen rounds on pay and plays.
I remember the 1 club challenge on BBC. Most players (the likes of Faldo and Aoki) chose a 5 or 6 iron, and let's face it they would have beaten just about anybody else even when they landed in the bunker. Open the clubface enough and it still comes out. It does seem to me that the fewer clubs I use the more fun I have with golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blimey, I'd have a long old round if I was hitting 7 iron off the tee. 6,800yds off the whites, shortest par 4 is 400yds, and I would be starting with a 140-150yd 7 iron each time :eek:.

The range of clubs in your bag enable you to hit full shots with each one. The 3 club challenge makes you hit different shots with the same club. It's good fun and some things are definitely transferrable. If nothing else it gets you thinking about how you hit your shots and how to use your imagination a little more. I'm a big fan.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have a 3 club (one a putter) comp each year and its surprising how ell you score. This years i had 24 deg hybrid, SW and putter, shot 73 or 74 gross i think it was. My pp says that will win it no problem... didn't even come in the prizes two other scores in the 60's gross:rofl:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Everywhere I go I hear the same story. Young people are not taking up golf.
For one, no doubt they are put off by the high price of equipment. £1000 + membership.
Yet I can wander into a golf shop and buy a quality second hand driver for £30, or an average new one for that, and irons for £20 each.
This year I've also noted several public courses closing. The future is not bright. I can see a future only for private members' courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For one, no doubt they are put off by the high price of equipment. £1000 + membership.
Yet I can wander into a golf shop and buy a quality second hand driver for £30, or an average new one for that, and irons for £20 each.
This year I've also noted several public courses closing. The future is not bright. I can see a future only for private members' courses.

The price of equipment is only high if you buy new. The second hand market for golf gear has never been more buoyant. Buy a half set, not a full one.

Tee-off times etc can get you on a course at cracking rates, you just need to be smart about it.

Whether newbies to the game are aware of these options I don't know but there is no need for cost to be the issue many believe.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

my favorite is orange, and i could def eat 3 no problem:clap::thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played a few level par rounds on our 9 hole course (2 par 5s 3 par 4s and 4 par 3's) with just a mid iron and a wedge, just not in recent years. I just have never been able to take the same form on to main course in a comp over 18 holes.

I always remember my neighbour winning the 2 clubs and a putter comp with 4 and 8 irons with a net 8 under. He always used to moan about he was useless with a driver.

People often ask me what I am going to use and I always reply " why are you asking me, I have never won it"

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our three club challenge is three clubs plus putter. This weekend we had an "ordinary" comp on Saturday with a full set - l scored 21 points. On Sunday was the 3 club challenge - with a 4 hybrid, 7 iron and standard pitching wedge - l scored 37 points. Explain?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our three club challenge is three clubs plus putter. This weekend we had an "ordinary" comp on Saturday with a full set - l scored 21 points. On Sunday was the 3 club challenge - with a 4 hybrid, 7 iron and standard pitching wedge - l scored 37 points. Explain?

You hit your driver into the trees/water a lot. :rofl:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My best score for a long time was 79 gross (7 over). Did this just taking my 19 hybrid, PW and Putter...

My current club doesnt run any of these and I have never thought to try it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

But a 7 iron off the tee isn’t as fun right? At some point you have to choose what is more fun, plotting round a course with irons off the tee or blasting a driver out there.

I never played a 3 club comp but would love to as it fits my game plan well.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site

Probably because you were more relaxed. Also, low expectation and a good start no doubt helped. Your worst experience is most likely to be the first hole in a round. Nerves and tense muscles play a part. Just try to land the ball in play and better to take a 7 iron if you can't hit the driver straight. Leave it for a hole with plenty of room.
My favourite driver for the 3 club challenge is the old TM bubble shafted driver with 11 degrees. I can use it off a low tee and off the fairway to get 400 yards in total. You might find one for £10 these days.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Walking with three or four clubs is pretty much my perfect game.

And while I'd love to claim that it makes me think my way around the course, in reality I still just wallop the ball and live with where it ends up.

At least I don't have to carry so much metalwork with me :-s

bm.