2nd hand golf clothes. Would you?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
In September I decided that my existing golf tops and jumpers had probably seen better days. Some I'd had for 10 years or longer and were beginning to look a bit shabby. But they owed me nothing.

So, I was keen to acquire some nice warm golfing clothes for the coming winter season (layer system), that would last me for years, but the prices of new kit were quite off-putting. The technical gear that's available nowadays was particularly pricey, e.g. £70+ for a Galvin Green Insula jumper; £60+ for some of their other technical polos (Ventil8 for example)

Ever the scrimper, I decided to try for some 2nd hand stuff on eBay so I bought a nice GG Ventil8 polo in a size medium. Less than 1/3rd of the new price. Duly turned up. Cracking quality but too big... so sold it on again (at a slight profit!). Bought another in a size small. Perfect fit and as good as new so bought another 4 over the course of the next month or so.

Having sussed out my size in a particular brand I now have 5 new polos, 2 Insula jumpers and a Skintight underlayer for the same price as maybe 3 new items. On the plus side I've now got enough new clothes to last me for years but have turned into Galvin Green man, from head to toe. :)

Personally, I have no problem wearing "pre-used" clothing. That's what my washing machine's for. Anyone feel the need to have to buy new every time?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm the same as you mate.. Happy to buy "pre-loved" for most items. Shoes and base layers need to be new though.. I've bought Polos, Trousers, Jackets, Jumpers etc and been mostly happy with what I've received. The only time I've been unhappy is when the sizes seem strange. I bought an IJP Jumper in XL that nearly drowns me and I'm a 44" chest and 6ft 2.. :mad:

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hear what you're saying about the base layers, Bluewolf, but I managed to pick up the GG Enzo 20 long sleeve base layer as "Brand New With Tags" for a fraction of the new price. The chap had mis-sized himself and never worn it. Happens a lot with people buying clothing online, I guess, so why shouldn't I take advantage.

I have to say I thought I'd got the size on that one wrong myself. It's one of these compression tops and the first time I wore it was like being hugged hard by an electric blanket. Used to it now though and it's some piece of kit. You could almost play in that alone at this time of year. :)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hear what you're saying about the base layers, Bluewolf, but I managed to pick up the GG Enzo 20 long sleeve base layer as "Brand New With Tags" for a fraction of the new price. The chap had mis-sized himself and never worn it. Happens a lot with people buying clothing online, I guess, so why shouldn't I take advantage.

I have to say I thought I'd got the size on that one wrong myself. It's one of these compression tops and the first time I wore it was like being hugged hard by an electric blanket. Used to it now though and it's some piece of kit. You could almost play in that alone at this time of year. :)

Very true. If it's advertised as "New with tags" then I'm happy.. I've got a few UA Baselayers and they certainly do the business. Although the best thing I bought recently was a pair of thermal leggings from Lidl.. £8 and they are a game changer for me.. Keeps the lower half very warm :thup:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very true. If it's advertised as "New with tags" then I'm happy.. I've got a few UA Baselayers and they certainly do the business. Although the best thing I bought recently was a pair of thermal leggings from Lidl.. £8 and they are a game changer for me.. Keeps the lower half very warm :thup:

Mrs bought me some Under Armour leggings last winter, they are tremendous.

Love nothing more than slipping into my Lycra tights of a weekend......:whistle:

Never really thought about buying used golf clothes, don't have many to begin with!! Wouldn't have a problem really if it wasn't a base layer and in good condition.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep - although draw the line at stuff that sits next to my skin such as baselayers! Have bought some real bargain shoes - "worn once as accompanied husband and had to buy shoes" etc! I'm fortunate that I'm female and small so also get some amazing bargains on new clothes on Ebay!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some good bargains there John, just this winter i picked up Under Armour trousers, 1/4 zip tops and polo shirts all half price and some less than that out of the Next Directory sale. Waterproof trousers and a top both £40 each from £80 each now thats a bargain

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently have 2 golf polo shirts that were second hand on ebay. No shame in it. Make sure the pictures are good and you can see the condition clearly. Check the feedback and if it all looks okay then go for it. As soon as the item arrives I wash it and then it is good to go. No misshaps so far.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did they tell you they were used, Steve? :)

Sorry John no, i forgot to put that in, it was an example to show that there are bargains out there, my preference is to buy new tho at those prices it was hard to ignore them, i got a polo shirt for £15 as well, well worth every penny

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would buy the more expensive gear like GG second hand as I could not justify the cost new. Most of my golf gear are makes like Nike and Adidas and I would rather buy last year's designs new at a cut price rather than second hand.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would buy the more expensive gear like GG second hand as I could not justify the cost new.

Agreed. Another reason I went for Galvin Green. Should last for donkey's years and these new polyester/cotton blends feel amazing and wash better than the old 100% cotton tops.