2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Good point
Just look at the top 20 on the leaderboard - it makes the power grab and money grab by the so-called top players even more egregious and unpalatable

I don't know if it's just a bad weekend for the PGAT in terms of who is going to miss the cut, and make their plans look a little stupid, or if we're just focussed on the matter as it's hot news, but there are a lot of players who would be in the elevated events, that aren't going to be teeing it up for round three - quite a few of them that are big draws in the game.

Hopefully those that do miss the cut are posed the question about whether they feel the path the PGAT have taken is correct, given that they'll be taking places away from players who deserve to be in the final rounds in similar circumstances for future events.

evemccc

Visit site
Is it the top players that have asked for this though? I thought players like rahm etc weren't too happy about having to play in more events?

I’m pretty sure the top players have long wanted more of the pie…the same for those such as Mickelson who helped orchestrate Liv, and the same for those leading PGA players who flirted with the PGL for a long time and now helped instigate the new PGA changes

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't know if it's just a bad weekend for the PGAT in terms of who is going to miss the cut, and make their plans look a little stupid, or if we're just focussed on the matter as it's hot news, but there are a lot of players who would be in the elevated events, that aren't going to be teeing it up for round three - quite a few of them that are big draws in the game.

Hopefully those that do miss the cut are posed the question about whether they feel the path the PGAT have taken is correct, given that they'll be taking places away from players who deserve to be in the final rounds in similar circumstances for future events.

I’m trying to understand this point and I can’t get my head around it ?

So a top player misses a cut in an event then they shouldn’t really be playing in future events without cuts ?

Have I got what you mean wrong there ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m trying to understand this point and I can’t get my head around it ?

So a top player misses a cut in an event then they shouldn’t really be playing in future events without cuts ?

Have I got what you mean wrong there ?

"Matt/Tom/Sungjae - what is your view on the limited field no cut events planned for next year, given that you would be likely to be playing in them, having failed to make the cut in one of the biggest events on the golfing calendar. Do you think it's fair that some of the players who will proceed beyond the cut this week, wouldn't even be involved in the elevated event weekends"

D

Deleted member 15344

"Matt/Tom/Sungjae - what is your view on the limited field no cut events planned for next year, given that you would be likely to be playing in them, having failed to make the cut in one of the biggest events on the golfing calendar. Do you think it's fair that some of the players who will proceed beyond the cut this week, wouldn't even be involved in the elevated event weekends"

It’s one event 🤷‍♂️ a player will miss a cut every now and then , some players that make cuts don’t get to play in the Majors where as some that miss a cut do - it’s a very strange pov you have there

If someone is good enough to play these events then they will qualify via their performances over a consistent period as opposed to looking at one single event.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Justin Thomas, McIlroy, and Cam Smith were the last three winners…..so not sure that’s correct
I doubt you could pick most of last year's top 10 players out of an identity parade...
Lahiri
Casey
Kisner
Bradley
Ghin
Knox
Varner
Hadwin
Straka
I'll give you hovland and DJ
It's similar most years iirc.
I'm not saying that they're not all great players, just that Sawgrass doesn't reward the type of golf that gets all the owgr top 20 guys up there week after week. (Drive, wedge and putt).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s one event 🤷‍♂️ a player will miss a cut every now and then , some players that make cuts don’t get to play in the Majors where as some that miss a cut do - it’s a very strange pov you have there

If someone is good enough to play these events then they will qualify via their performances over a consistent period as opposed to looking at one single event.

Why is is strange to want to know the thoughts of guys that don't have to worry about making cuts to get access to the top money on the tour they play on?

Been plenty of conjecture about the "other guys" who are in the same position elsewhere....

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is is strange to want to know the thoughts of guys that don't have to worry about making cuts to get access to the top money on the tour they play on?

Been plenty of conjecture about the "other guys" who are in the same position elsewhere....

You do understand that they will only get access to the events through their performances on the golf course? If the player drops out of the rankings through their performances then they won’t make the events.

If a player keeps missing cuts it won’t be long before he will have to worry

Every golfer on every main tour has to continue to perform

Top players missing the cut at the players is not a new thing - it’s a course that always appears to bring out some surprises and doesn’t always suit the eye of many of them

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You do understand that they will only get access to the events through their performances on the golf course? If the player drops out of the rankings through their performances then they won’t make the events.

If a player keeps missing cuts it won’t be long before he will have to worry

Every golfer on every main tour has to continue to perform

Top players missing the cut at the players is not a new thing - it’s a course that always appears to bring out some surprises and doesn’t always suit the eye of many of them

The names I've mentioned are in or around the top 20 Phil. They'll be shoe in's for the elevated events barring a disastrous drop in form.

D

Deleted member 15344

The names I've mentioned are in or around the top 20 Phil. They'll be shoe in's for the elevated events barring a disastrous drop in form.

So players that have earned their right to be there 👍 good to confirm

D-S

Visit site
He was probably an ordinary putter but came onto the forum to ask for advice for his putting stroke and a suitable putter. ;)
He was probably told that putting didn’t matter but 20 yards more off the tee and he would be an impregnable world no.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.