2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not wishing to be pedantic but my whole point was that the hole in question was a draw all day long for every golfer. But Rory sets his feet for a fade, which is what I found odd.
Hope he has a better round today!
Indeed, I get your point. I was just trying to say that, if McIlroy was trying to play a fade, I'm sure there was method to his madness. I doubt it was because both him and his caddy are clueless, and cannot identify that a dog leg left suits a draw, and a dog leg right suits a fade, in general. Perhaps he wanted his ball to finish on the right side of fairway as it would leave a much better second shot, and that would be very difficult with a draw. Perhaps a fade would take a few yards off it, and leave him a better yardage for the second, and he felt more comfortable with the driver than a 3 wood or iron on that hole. Or, maybe the camera angles were deceiving

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed, I get your point. I was just trying to say that, if McIlroy was trying to play a fade, I'm sure there was method to his madness. I doubt it was because both him and his caddy are clueless, and cannot identify that a dog leg left suits a draw, and a dog leg right suits a fade, in general. Perhaps he wanted his ball to finish on the right side of fairway as it would leave a much better second shot, and that would be very difficult with a draw. Perhaps a fade would take a few yards off it, and leave him a better yardage for the second, and he felt more comfortable with the driver than a 3 wood or iron on that hole. Or, maybe the camera angles were deceiving
Yep, see what you mean now. 👍

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Marquee group all missing the fairway trying to play safe hitting fairway woods rather than driver.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Scottie schefflers group. 1 hour and 5 mins to play the first 3 holes. Sweet lord mother Mary and the wee donkey.
Around 3 hours for 9 holes, and they aren’t “out of position” because they are waiting for the group in front, etc etc.
It’s ridiculous and no one with any power seems to want to say or do anything about it.

evemccc

Visit site
I don’t know about anyone else, but all this players championship has proved to me so far is that limited fields on the PGA tour are a terrible idea.

Good point
Just look at the top 20 on the leaderboard - it makes the power grab and money grab by the so-called top players even more egregious and unpalatable

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good point
Just look at the top 20 on the leaderboard - it makes the power grab and money grab by the so-called top players even more egregious and unpalatable
Curious, isn't it, that the PGA's signature event is uniquely designed not to suit the games of their trophy players.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Good point

Is it the top players that have asked for this though? I thought players like rahm etc weren't too happy about having to play in more events?

Status
Not open for further replies.