2022 World Cup.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Although I'm off work with Covid at the moment, I've just been advised which teams I drew in the Sweepstake. Had four goes to give myself every chance.
I consider myself extremely lucky to have managed to bag these four gems...

Cameroon + Ghana + Morocco + Ecuador

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Awful game. How Foden didn't get 30 minutes is mind blowing.

As much as I don't want him near a Man U starting XI , Maguire was MOTM. Strong in a few vital tackles, good in the air and defensively ok. That said, best of a bad bunch.

For me the weak link was the midfield. How many times did we see Stones and Maguire tapping it back and forth because there was no out let up the middle of the pitch. USA pressed the full backs high up and left Southgate clueless. Rice got found out a bit, but I don't blame him as he was isolated. He needed two in the middle of the park

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Awful game. How Foden didn't get 30 minutes is mind blowing.

As much as I don't want him near a Man U starting XI , Maguire was MOTM. Strong in a few vital tackles, good in the air and defensively ok. That said, best of a bad bunch.

For me the weak link was the midfield. How many times did we see Stones and Maguire tapping it back and forth because there was no out let up the middle of the pitch. USA pressed the full backs high up and left Southgate clueless. Rice got found out a bit, but I don't blame him as he was isolated. He needed two in the middle of the park

No, because it’s easy and won’t make a mistake. Why didn’t they sometime move forward and pass” a through ball” type pass? Cos they’re not accurate enough, that’s why.
Grealish can do it ,under pressure too. But these two. God, it’s painful to watch.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
England should be building a team around Foden!!!

His exclusion in the Euros was a disgrace, but now it is simply embarrassing. Southgate dislikes him as a player as he is a maverick, skillful, talented and arrogant. All of the qualities he would tank under hard working, reliable, steady and defence first. Add the episode early in his career on England duty off the pitch and Southgate can't bring himself to see what is as clear as day.

It's depressing .

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Southgate parked the bus and got the result he wanted, a spineless performance it really was.
Says it all when Maguire was our best player!
A Moyesesque masterclass from Southgate, all that talent at his disposal and Henderson gets on when we need a goal ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
After a fantastic nights sleep. I have now calmed down and can give an emotion free opinion of the game. It was Bloody rammel.

On a positive Maguire at one point looked more Messi than Messy when he did his penalty box dribble. ?

But where to start. Southgate looked absolutely clueless. He never had a clue how break the USA high press. I hardly saw one midfielder drop for the ball. He has shown that better teams know how to pressure England because we cannot break out.
At times USA had five at the back yet we hardly had Wingers on the touch line.
It was a bad night for Saka and Sterling yet he stuck with them.They should of been off at half time for Foden and Grealish.
At times we were defending with 4-3-3. USA were getting down the sides with ease. It took to long to sort out.
Southgate is killing another golden generation.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
England should be building a team around Foden!!!

His exclusion in the Euros was a disgrace, but now it is simply embarrassing. Southgate dislikes him as a player as he is a maverick, skillful, talented and arrogant. All of the qualities he would tank under hard working, reliable, steady and defence first. Add the episode early in his career on England duty off the pitch and Southgate can't bring himself to see what is as clear as day.

It's depressing .
I believe but could be wrong that he got an injury after the first game,although I believe it was because he was asked to do a job but ignored it.
Southgate has his favourites and never waivers,however these players are tired and now under performing.
Saka,Kane,Bellingham and Sterling looked tired and leggy.
Mount although looking the fittest put in a poor performance,although he did have a good shot.
Southgate in all his interviews has shown his intentions is qualification and that won’t change.
Wether in the quarterfinals he changes and gets braver we will have to wait and see.
However one thing is for sure he has the best young talent in the WC and if he fails he’s gone.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe but could be wrong that he got an injury after the first game,although I believe it was because he was asked to do a job but ignored it.
Southgate has his favourites and never waivers,however these players are tired and now under performing.
Saka,Kane,Bellingham and Sterling looked tired and leggy.
Mount although looking the fittest put in a poor performance,although he did have a good shot.
Southgate in all his interviews has shown his intentions is qualification and that won’t change.
Wether in the quarterfinals he changes and gets braver we will have to wait and see.
However one thing is for sure he has the best young talent in the WC and if he fails he’s gone.

Not sure Brazil or Spain would necessarily agree

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, because it’s easy and won’t make a mistake. Why didn’t they sometime move forward and pass” a through ball” type pass? Cos they’re not accurate enough, that’s why.
Grealish can do it ,under pressure too. But these two. God, it’s painful to watch.

That's my take on it. TV pictures not easy as they focus on the ball so we can't see the runs but I can't believe they weren't happening but no balls to play a ball with risk so give it to your mate stood along side you...pass the responsibility.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southgate parked the bus and got the result he wanted, a spineless performance it really was.
Says it all when Maguire was our best player!
A Moyesesque masterclass from Southgate, all that talent at his disposal and Henderson gets on when we need a goal ?

We will never agree on sir David lol but Henderson fully agree, he only seems to be in the squad for his experience, his form isn't exactly flying. Arguably Phillips and Gallagher would provide excellent cover for rice and Bellingham with mount covered by foden, Madison etc

Bigger games Bellingham rice and Phillips as @fundy said before

Now because of the bigger squads it makes sense for him to go to the world cup. However how on earth is he the one to be brought off the bench?

We needed pace. He was not the option

Bellingham wasn't exactly having a bad game and mount could have been withdrawn

However it just doesn't make sense

Would make more sense if mount and Bellingham came off with foden and Henderson, an old head to back up the young superstar, but you could bring Bellingham off and pull mount back next to rice as a box to box leaving foden up there

It's baffling how Henderson stepped foot onto that pitch to try and win the game

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We will never agree on sir David lol but Henderson fully agree, he only seems to be in the squad for his experience, his form isn't exactly flying. Arguably Phillips and Gallagher would provide excellent cover for rice and Bellingham with mount covered by foden, Madison etc

Now because of the bigger squads it makes sense for him to go to the world cup. However how on earth is he the one to be brought off the bench?

Would make more sense if mount and Bellingham came off with foden and Henderson, an old head to back up the young superstar, but you could bring Bellingham off and pull mount back next to rice as a box to box leaving foden up there

It's baffling how Henderson stepped foot onto that pitch to try and win the game
You're assuming they were trying to win.....wouldn't surprise me if they went out with the premise of simply not losing.
After all, the draw hasn't left us in a bad place.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're assuming they were trying to win.....wouldn't surprise me if they went out with the premise of simply not losing.

Sadly I think that's the case. Momentum in a tournament is key though and performances like yesterday's negatively impact that.

Gareth needs to have some sort of epiphany because right now we're not winning the World Cup - and I really want us to!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

On that side id of seen Phillips brought on to solid up the midfield

Looking at all the options on that bench I don't see how Henderson was selected

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sadly I think that's the case. Momentum in a tournament is key though and performances like yesterday's negatively impact that.

Gareth needs to have some sort of epiphany because right now we're not winning the World Cup - and I really want us to!

One of the biggest myth going momentum in a tournament imho. Take this years cricket world cup for eg......., plenty of other examples too. If a sides good enough they can overcome a bad game/result, especially if they have a competent manager....... Ok you might be right on this occasion lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The manager was not trying to win the game with that substitution, he was desperately trying to hang onto what he had. Hence Foden kept getting splinters, hence Mount stayed on etc. Knew we'd been outplayed and was desperate for the clean sheet and a point. Tbh im surprised he didnt bring another defender on, assume this means Walkers fitness isnt fully trusted still but last nights performance will definitely have him thinking of 5 at the back plus Rice and Philips in the KO stages, wouldnt be shocked to see him try it v Wales

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The manager was not trying to win the game with that substitution, he was desperately trying to hang onto what he had. Hence Foden kept getting splinters, hence Mount stayed on etc. Knew we'd been outplayed and was desperate for the clean sheet and a point. Tbh im surprised he didnt bring another defender on, assume this means Walkers fitness isnt fully trusted still but last nights performance will definitely have him thinking of 5 at the back plus Rice and Philips in the KO stages, wouldnt be shocked to see him try it v Wales

You called it vs Iran, rice Phillips with Bellingham in the attacking role

Just hope we don't go back to Henderson, he isn't the answer ...and if he is we are asking the wrong questions