2022 World Cup.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some teams try and go out and win games. Especially the bigger teams like France, Brazil, Spain, etc. Saudi Arabia tried.

England try and avoid defeat. They try and stop the opposition from playing. Southgate is the classic negative coach for the FA. I suspect the game versus Iran was a freak result, rather than Southgate's genius as a coach

You forgot to mention Argentina and Germany. ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Im sure all of the armchair experts think they could do better!!
Urmmm, nope. I doubt it. Just like all those that have criticised Maguire or TAA over the last year or so don't believe they could actually play better if picked to play for Man Utd, Liverpool or England :) .

Nor is it likely they'd do better at managing United than Ole.

However, Southgate is a failed Middlesbrough manager. He just isn't very good at all.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'd hate to see Montiel's reaction if he actually got hit in the grid??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't believe he didn't put Foden on last night. The pace of Saka and Sterling was having no effect as their full backs were quick as well. They were well organised defensively and Foden's guile and ability along with Grealish would have been ideal. But he persisted with Mount who offered nothing. And when he brought Henderson on I nearly dropped my pint. Absolutely flabbergasting that he thought another turgid player who can't create anything is what was needed. Just bizarre really. But USA clearly played for a draw in the hope they can go and beat Iran, while Gareth was never going to go all out for the win and risk losing it - just not in his nature at all. Plan was obviously to steal a 1-0 win from a set piece or something then be able to rest players against Wales - don't really have that luxury now if we want to ensure we top the group. They will obviously want to spoil our party before they pack their bags and go home.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is, probably, the first time since the Euros that I've watched any amount of footy.....
Is it a thing these days that as soon as any contact is made above the shoulder that hands are flung to the eyes as if they've had acid sprayed on them..?
And then fling yourself to the ground as if you've been shot?
I'm surprised there aren't more Guide dogs on the pitch as most of the players must be blind by now........

4LEX

Visit site
Bitterly disappointed with the England performance last night for a few reasons.

We looked flat and complacement, as if we just had to turn up and it was going to be a comfy win. Other big sides getting done and outfought obviously went amiss in the hype from the Iran game. The USA looked like they had done their homework and tactically outclassed Southgate.

Southgate starting Kane when he clearly wasn't anywhere near match fit. Wilson is more than capable of coming in for a game and letting Kane recover.

Taking Maddison when he's clearly injured and not calling up Toney as a replacement. Maddison will be fortunate to make the Wales game and hasn't had one full training session in over 2 weeks.

Southgate genuinely playing for a draw after 60 minutes and being quite happy with the result.

I pointed out Maguire was a bit shakey in the first game so only fair I say he was superb last night. I wouldn't change too much for the Wales game, I'd still go with the pace of Saka and on the right but bring in Grealish on the left and give Foden a start in the middle. Wales have been so bad in the first two games, we need to win the group in style.

Swango1980

Visit site
Bitterly disappointed with the England performance last night for a few reasons.

We looked flat and complacement, as if we just had to turn up and it was going to be a comfy win. Other big sides getting done and outfought obviously went amiss in the hype from the Iran game. The USA looked like they had done their homework and tactically outclassed Southgate.

Southgate starting Kane when he clearly wasn't anywhere near match fit. Wilson is more than capable of coming in for a game and letting Kane recover.

Taking Maddison when he's clearly injured and not calling up Toney as a replacement. Maddison will be fortunate to make the Wales game and hasn't had one full training session in over 2 weeks.

Southgate genuinely playing for a draw after 60 minutes and being quite happy with the result.

I pointed out Maguire was a bit shakey in the first game so only fair I say he was superb last night. I wouldn't change too much for the Wales game, I'd still go with the pace of Saka and on the right but bring in Grealish on the left and give Foden a start in the middle. Wales have been so bad in the first two games, we need to win the group in style.
I suspect there is a chance Toney was never going to he picked, as Southgate would have known about the FA gambling charge to be announced. If he was picked, undoubtedly that would become another distraction, as there's be a lot if focus on that by the media.