2022 World Cup.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just not respecting his decision to bring on Henderson?

Disagreeing with a decision and completely ripping a manager to shreds over every decision are entirely different situations
I can't believe he didn't put Foden on last night. The pace of Saka and Sterling was having no effect as their full backs were quick as well. They were well organised defensively and Foden's guile and ability along with Grealish would have been ideal. But he persisted with Mount who offered nothing. And when he brought Henderson on I nearly dropped my pint. Absolutely flabbergasting that he thought another turgid player who can't create anything is what was needed. Just bizarre really. But USA clearly played for a draw in the hope they can go and beat Iran, while Gareth was never going to go all out for the win and risk losing it - just not in his nature at all. Plan was obviously to steal a 1-0 win from a set piece or something then be able to rest players against Wales - don't really have that luxury now if we want to ensure we top the group. They will obviously want to spoil our party before they pack their bags and go home.

Problem I have with Henderson coming on is he wasn't fit enough for the last euros , he went. Maigure you could understand as our centre back options are shocking .. not midfield we well stocked , Henderson was known for his work rate and athleticism.. however he is 32 and isn't as quick as he was.. he is also isn't in the best of form right now.

So to see him again in the team when you have Gallagher and Phillips there who are the future players , plus who can do a very good job I find it annoying that Henderson is still in the squad

He isn't Gerrard or lampard or scholes .. hopefully will be his last tournament

He isn't like a modric or a pirlo who don't rely on pace ..

D

Deleted member 15344

??

Anyway - how bad do Argentine look , toothless , no idea how they are supposed to be set up but all the players just looking to Messi to carry them

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Urmmm, nope. I doubt it. Just like all those that have criticised Maguire or TAA over the last year or so don't believe they could actually play better if picked to play for Man Utd, Liverpool or England :) .

Nor is it likely they'd do better at managing United than Ole.

However, Southgate is a failed Middlesbrough manager. He just isn't very good at all.

Southgate is a very good coach, but a manager is different, Middlesbrough he will have had to manage things like transfers .. international "management" is an entirely different ball game and tbh he suits it

He knows so many of this squad from the under 21s and they work for him

Bad coach's don't make finals

Swango1980

Visit site
What’s he going to be like in May.?
Tired, if he continues to play full games twice a week. The games have come thick and fast for the first part of season. Sometimes it might only take a week or 2 to freshen up and get some decent recovery time. If World Cup was in summer, nations usually have 3-4 weeks to recover before tournament starts

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tired, if he continues to play full games twice a week. The games have come thick and fast for the first part of season. Sometimes it might only take a week or 2 to freshen up and get some decent recovery time. If World Cup was in summer, nations usually have 3-4 weeks to recover before tournament starts
Yes but we’re only half way through the season.
He looked ok against Iran

Might be the heat it affects people differently.
That’s where good squad management comes in.
Has GS got that.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes but we’re only half way through the season.
He looked ok against Iran

Might be the heat it affects people differently.
That’s where good squad management comes in.
Has GS got that.
If Paula Radcliffe had played against Iran in that match, immediately after running a marathon, she'd have looked OK.

We also don't know how tired he really is. I know Conte mentioned it, but that could just as easily be an excuse rather than being sincere. If his team don't do so well, and therefore he is another player who doesn't shine, then people say it is because he is tired. Maybe he isn't, maybe the team just didn't play well and therefore looked tired? If England go and beat Wales and Kane scores 2 or 3 goals, he might look fit again

D

Deleted member 15344

must be a bit of a culture shock going from playing with Mbappe and Neymar et al to this lot

That’s not a bad hit ?

This Argentina team are supposed to be full of bright young talent like Fernandez , Alvarez , Martinez but then they still have people like Di Maria dribbling up his backside going nowhere

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it his favs or his trusted players? And saying that . Maybe he doesn't trust foden still after his rule break and sending him home from the England camp before
A top coach should look beyond that for the good of the team. He has to rise above it and see what he offers City week in week out and get him doing the same for England.