2022 World Cup.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are those the only options?

You are saying England cannot win by playing attacking football, but can win by playing boring football like when Greece won Euros?

Not at all. That's just the bias of people assuming Southgates football is pure negative

We weren't saying it Monday , he even went for it when 3-0 up he didn't just bring on defenders to see it out

At the euros we beat Germany, smashed up the Ukraine, then beat Denmark (who were playing for Ericson so were well up for it)

We then took the lead against Italy

Now in all those games we all felt pure joy no?

Some of England's best moments in our lifetimes?

We lost on pens. Hardly a battering aswell

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, absolutely. I was exaggerating the point. We will likely qualify, job done at this stage.

I just see Foden as a top talent who can unlock defences. To not use him is a criminal waste, imo, particularly in game where we were incredibly uninspiring.

Maybe he can't look past the ridiculous haircut that makes him look like Stan from eminem

D

Deleted member 1418

It'll be interesting to see how he fits Maddison into his team, well if southgate grows himself a pair of los cajones that is.

Mate, Maddison won't play in this world cup.

Neither will TAA.

Expect the same starting XI against Wales.

Swango1980

Visit site

Neither will TAA.

I suspect he'll start Foden at least. He usually reacts when public reaction tells him he is making a bit of a mess of it. Probably why he put Maddison is squad at all, although I agree it is unlikely he will play him

4LEX

Visit site
Maddison is crocked. He's only been doing light work on his own and hasn't taken part in any sessions with the squad.

You can't start in a must win World Cup game with little or no high intensity training for over 2 weeks. He's essentially a cheerleader who will only get any minutes if we get to the semi finals or final and suffer other injuries.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maddison is crocked. He's only been doing light work on his own and hasn't taken part in any sessions with the squad.

You can't start in a must win World Cup game with little or no high intensity training for over 2 weeks. He's essentially a cheerleader who will only get any minutes if we get to the semi finals or final and suffer other injuries.

Who would have gone instead of Madison realistically? I mean yes he is injured but we have a much bigger squad this time so is covered

Bowen was in but his form has been awful doesn't deserve it where as mad does .. least get him in and around the camp

4LEX

Visit site
Who would have gone instead of Madison realistically? I mean yes he is injured but we have a much bigger squad this time so is covered

Bowen was in but his form has been awful doesn't deserve it where as mad does .. least get him in and around the camp

Good question.

I would've taken another striker personally. I know Toney has trouble coming from the gambling issue but until he's found guilty he should've been in the squad. He offers something totally different to anyone else. The guy is a beast. His exclusion was Southgate playing politics and covering his own back, IMO.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good question.

I would've taken another striker personally. I know Toney has trouble coming from the gambling issue but until he's found guilty he should've been in the squad. He offers something totally different to anyone else. The guy is a beast. His exclusion was Southgate playing politics and covering his own back, IMO.

I don't think it's so much playing politics it's more he is about to be banned I reckon the fa stepped in

He is looking at a serious ban, possible 2 years

I think Wilson is that option instead

Shame Sancho's form has dropped off a cliff

D

Deleted member 1740

Neither will TAA.

I think i said earlier on that Maddison and TAA wont get a sniff.

Not using the squad will be Southgates downfall. 1st chance he gets to start Kalvin Phillips, whose played 54 mins all season, he'll take it.

Every team that have won the WC utilise their squad, not just the favourite 14.

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southgate was poor as Middlesbrough manager playing defensive negative football , as England U21 manager he wasn’t much better. As England manager in 2018 he set pieced his way to a semi final but lost any game when he came up against a decent side

The Euros was the best chance since 96 for England to win and again he was found wanting - he had at his disposal some of the best talent in Europe , players that star for the best managers in the world but he cannot adapt , he cant change as the game goes , and he can’t develop away from a “must not lose” mentality.

There has been lots of talk about Sven wasting the golden generation but at least there were a lot of strong nations to battle against - Southgate is going to waste a lot more and during a period where there isn’t a stand out national team.

Every single top manager would find a place for the likes of Foden , TAA , Grealish , Maddison etc - Southgate finds a way to justify keeping them sat on the bench

Was he poor? Yes at Middleborough he had a win % of 29% but he also attracted praise from one of the best managers in premier League history

In December 2007, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger suggested Southgate as one of several English managers who were "all good enough" to manage the national team

He also that season took Middlesbrough out of the relegation zone to 13th , smashing city 8-1 on the final day . Biggest win in premier league for them

His u21 record is a win % of 73% that's not bad at all. How can that be bad? In any way shape or form. Bearing in mind the u21s often get robbed of talent if they are deemed good enough for the full team so can't always get a core group of players

His England record is 60% win rate

Euro final.. our first manager final since 1966

He may be boring but he is by no means a poor manager.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I think i said earlier on that Maddisonand TAA wont get a sniff.

Not using the squad will be Southgates downfall. 1st chance he gets to start Kalvin Phillips, whose played 54 mins all season, he'll take it.

Every team that have won the WC utilise their squad, not just the favourite 14.

The squad has to be used, if not what's the point.
On another note on the squad, players are training and playing in extreme temperature's which surely is going to have an effect on their work effort with games so close together, that's another reason to rotate.
England have one of the best squads, especially attacking options, the wrong man is in charge of the team in my opinion.
He doesn't let the players play with any sort of freedom.

4LEX

Visit site
I don't think it's so much playing politics it's more he is about to be banned I reckon the fa stepped in

He is looking at a serious ban, possible 2 years

I think Wilson is that option instead

Shame Sancho's form has dropped off a cliff

It depends on the nature of the bets. It is a bit of a mess but if Southgate wanted him, he'd be there. The fact he's jam packed the squad with midfielders is a mistake.

It's a shame about Sancho and Bowen. I'd rather one of them over a known injured player. I also wonder if Maddison knew he was badly injured and kept quiet to be part of the squad, which has come to light and angered Southgate.

Swango1980

Visit site
Was he poor? Yes at Middleborough he had a win % of 29% but he also attracted praise from one of the best managers in premier League history

In December 2007, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger suggested Southgate as one of several English managers who were "all good enough" to manage the national team

He also that season took Middlesbrough out of the relegation zone to 13th , smashing city 8-1 on the final day . Biggest win in premier league for them

His u21 record is a win % of 73% that's not bad at all. How can that be bad? In any way shape or form. Bearing in mind the u21s often get robbed of talent if they are deemed good enough for the full team so can't always get a core group of players

His England record is 60% win rate

Euro final.. our first manager final since 1966

He may be boring but he is by no means a poor manager.
Virtually all football managers say very nice things about other football managers, so I would read nothing into what Wenger said.

Did Southgate get sacked from Middlesbrough?

Even poor managers will have good results from time to time. Doesn't make them great managers.

I've no idea what a typical win rate is for England. But, given most of their games are against poor sides, I'd almost imagine at least 50% of games should be an easy win? For example, surely even any of us on this forum could manage to get a win if we managed England versus the likes of San Marino?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virtually all football managers say very nice things about other football managers, so I would read nothing into what Wenger said.

Did Southgate get sacked from Middlesbrough?

Even poor managers will have good results from time to time. Doesn't make them great managers.

I've no idea what a typical win rate is for England. But, given most of their games are against poor sides, I'd almost imagine at least 50% of games should be an easy win? For example, surely even any of us on this forum could manage to get a win if we managed England versus the likes of San Marino?

How many great managers have been sacked over the years?

Jose , very good manager. Been sacked a few times

Raneri sacked by Chelsea , went on to win the title

He took over Middlesbrough from Steve McLaren when he went to manage England. It was his first gig and had to come with some talent leaving the club like Jimmy Floyd. .

He is no where near as bad as people make out

He was a pen shoot out away from being a national hero