2022 Professional golf thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Can’t believe how mentally weak this guy is for a top class sportsman

Totally agree. There will always be those who defend him and remind us what a great player he is, but the guy repeatedly blows up and wastes his enormous talent. He should be world number one by a mile, and whilst he has plenty of wins under his belt, he should have had many, many more.

His 12th hole last night was a classic case in point. OOB from the tee, followed by an equally wild drive. Pulls his approach into a horrible spot, escapes and then duffs his chip. Mistake, compounded by mistake - that’s the sort of golf you expect of a handicap golfer, not one of the world’s elite, and certainly not whilst leading a tournament by one.

He may still be playing some great golf. But it’s punctuated by filth. And that’s not down to a lack of talent, but mental frailty.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Totally agree. There will always be those who defend him and remind us what a great player he is, but the guy repeatedly blows up and wastes his enormous talent. He should be world number one by a mile, and whilst he has plenty of wins under his belt, he should have had many, many more.

His 12th hole last night was a classic case in point. OOB from the tee, followed by an equally wild drive. Pulls his approach into a horrible spot, escapes and then duffs his chip. Mistake, compounded by mistake - that’s the sort of golf you expect of a handicap golfer, not one of the world’s elite, and certainly not whilst leading a tournament by one.

He may still be playing some great golf. But it’s punctuated by filth. And that’s not down to a lack of talent, but mental frailty.

He even acknowledged that last year when he spoke about how Bryson had got in his head with distance, which he had started chasing. Rory has always been long off the tee, and had no need to try and push for more - it resulted in a fairly long spell of mediocre performances from him. Glad to see him back to playing goog golf, but that 8 yesterday was woefull.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site

I sort of agree, although I often wonder how he'd get on if he had a top caddy?

Every other player I watch, they have a full conference over every single shot, except a tap in putt. The caddy will often be the one to, after getting the exact yardage, determining what club and what type of shot to play. The player then just needs to confirm they are comfortable, then execute.

However, when I watch McIlroy, it appears he just pretty much makes his own mind up what he'll do. Harry Diamond, his caddy, may give him the yardage, but then just let's him get on with it. Maybe he gets away with it on nice calm days most of the time, but when there is a bit of breeze, you almost want someone to tell you what shot to play. If they are worth their salt, and you are a top class player who can execute a shot more often than not, it just removed any doubt during your swing.

Also, a lot of caddies are excellent readers of a green. Not sure McIlroy or his caddy are quite at that level, so maybe he missed more putts than he should. Not much wrong with his stroke.

When he had his 8 yesterday, would love to know if that would have happened if Billy Foster was on the bag? Even before his first drive, given it was ob left, I'm sure a top caddy would recommend a shot that virtually eliminates the left side out. Or, at least, help the player keep their head after a bad shot. McIlroy might counter the argument to say he just likes to free flow with golf and take ownership more of the decisions. It is also nice to have a good mate living with you when you are on the road I guess.

However, maybe McIlroy isn't so weak minded as any other typical player. He just doesn't have a caddy who plays an active role in the decision making. So, when he inevitably hits a bad shot, he only had himself to blame and he doesn't have a caddy who is as good as others at getting his head back in the moment.

Visit site
I sort of agree, although I often wonder how he'd get on if he had a top caddy?

Every other player I watch, they have a full conference over every single shot, except a tap in putt. The caddy will often be the one to, after getting the exact yardage, determining what club and what type of shot to play. The player then just needs to confirm they are comfortable, then execute.

However, when I watch McIlroy, it appears he just pretty much makes his own mind up what he'll do. Harry Diamond, his caddy, may give him the yardage, but then just let's him get on with it. Maybe he gets away with it on nice calm days most of the time, but when there is a bit of breeze, you almost want someone to tell you what shot to play. If they are worth their salt, and you are a top class player who can execute a shot more often than not, it just removed any doubt during your swing.

Also, a lot of caddies are excellent readers of a green. Not sure McIlroy or his caddy are quite at that level, so maybe he missed more putts than he should. Not much wrong with his stroke.

When he had his 8 yesterday, would love to know if that would have happened if Billy Foster was on the bag? Even before his first drive, given it was ob left, I'm sure a top caddy would recommend a shot that virtually eliminates the left side out. Or, at least, help the player keep their head after a bad shot. McIlroy might counter the argument to say he just likes to free flow with golf and take ownership more of the decisions. It is also nice to have a good mate living with you when you are on the road I guess.

However, maybe McIlroy isn't so weak minded as any other typical player. He just doesn't have a caddy who plays an active role in the decision making. So, when he inevitably hits a bad shot, he only had himself to blame and he doesn't have a caddy who is as good as others at getting his head back in the moment.

Came here to say this and I agree.

There's no way any of the veteran caddies on the tour allow Mcilroy make an 8 from that situation (even accepting that 4 of the shots he hit were dreadful by tour standards and it's difficult to account for that).

What Rory did off the tee was his own fault, and nothing to do with his caddy, but I think when he's in that right hand rough an experienced caddy says "front of the green or just short, get out of here with a 6" and keeps him within touching distance of the lead.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a look to see if the same stuff was said when Rory was winning the Canadian Open ?

It almost as if some look forward to seeing him play badly ?‍♂️

Lighten up Phil, it's light hearted humour when he had a nightmare at the second, that's normally me every hole!!
Rory is world class, no doubt about it and no better player when he's 'on it' in my opinion.
Pour yourself a dram and chill out!!

D

Deleted member 1147

According to Austin Johnson, in an interview I think last year, Harry Diamond is a very highly rated caddy, who would walk straight onto another big name bag, if he were to split from Rory.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to Austin Johnson, in an interview I think last year, Harry Diamond is a very highly rated caddy, who would walk straight onto another big name bag, if he were to split from Rory.
Possibly thats what he should do, and let Rory establish fresh caddy-playet relationship with someone new.
I dont think its really a caddy issue though with Rory. Its in his own head.

D

Deleted member 1147

Possibly thats what he should do, and let Rory establish fresh caddy-playet relationship with someone new.
I dont think its really a caddy issue though with Rory. Its in his own head.
Why would that be necessary?
Rory has returned to the no2 in the OWGR with Harry, and won several events!