2021 Professional Golf Thread

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Most irrelevant post on this forum. Why have a professional golf thread, is it only open for tour pros to post?

In your opinion.

No you don't need to be a tour pro to post if you are going to discuss the tournaments sensibly, and plenty were, yours included. But to make sweeping statements about what is & isn't a proper tournament, or that someone is incapable of closing out a tournament or generally be that judgemental about a tour pro then I believe that you need to have been there in order for your judgement to hold much if any validity. As much as Wayne Riley polarises opinion, he's been there, done it and has earned the right to be as harsh as he wants to be; I might or might not agree with what he says but I respect his right to comment that way because he's been there.

Swango1980

Visit site
In your opinion.

No you don't need to be a tour pro to post if you are going to discuss the tournaments sensibly, and plenty were, yours included. But to make sweeping statements about what is & isn't a proper tournament, or that someone is incapable of closing out a tournament or generally be that judgemental about a tour pro then I believe that you need to have been there in order for your judgement to hold much if any validity. As much as Wayne Riley polarises opinion, he's been there, done it and has earned the right to be as harsh as he wants to be; I might or might not agree with what he says but I respect his right to comment that way because he's been there.
Although I do not agree with the original opinion that prompted this "irrelevant" post comment, I don't agree that a person's opinion becomes invalid simply because they have not been there and done it. Otherwise, nobody could ever really comment on Tiger Woods career, because no one has ever really been in Tiger Wood's shoes. Most of these forums would cease to exist.

You argue that Wayne Riley holds more validity, but why? Just because he played pro golf? He never won big tournaments or majors. He was never considered a world leading player with lots of attention and expectation on him. He didn't live in a world with social media and the inflated attention players get these days. Basically, he has little idea what it is like to be Rory McIlroy, and neither do we. But we can all have opinions. And, even if you do feel Wayne Riley's judgement is more valid, what is the point if you can still agree or disagree with him? If you disagree with him, what gives you that right based on your own argument, as you would need to tell yourself YOUR opinion is invalid because you haven't been there and done it.

When any of us have critical opinions, we're not assuming we'd do a better job. Far from it. We are simply being critical by comparing traits relative to others in the same position. If I was to say Rory does not know how to close a competition (I'm not btw, just using this as an example), I am not saying that I do know how to do this. I'm simply comparing this characteristic he has with other players like Woods, DJ, Rahm, etc.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
You wouldn’t trust a ball flight that goes low, but straight?

It does on average but that ball flight will struggle under pressure. I play off scratch and have a similar set up, strong left hand and cupped wrist. I find his swing really interesting as a result. I'm not saying he's a short hitter, he's improved his average length by over 10 yards in a year which is impressive. My comments come from the angle of how is he going to get into the Top 5, dominate Ryder Cups and win majors.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In your opinion.

God. Why do you have to take everything so seriously? Rory has two trademarks now - blowing it on a Sunday, or having an absolutely fantastic Sunday when he was out of contention anyway. He's done both of those things so many times that I just think it's quite funny to laugh about it. He's probably not checking this thread to see what club golfers think about him, so I think we're all good on that front. As @sunshine said if we can't say what we think about the pros then what's the point of the thread? Lighten up a bit.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
DP world tour off to a shocking start

222yrd par3 with Jag on offer, bloke gets the ace and we find out the car is only on offer for the weekend!!

Not a good look

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

222yrd par3 with Jag on offer, bloke gets the ace and we find out the car is only on offer for the weekend!!

Not a good look
That's outrageous. 222 yards for a hole-in-one is no mean feat - sounds like they were counting on nobody getting one!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's outrageous. 222 yards for a hole-in-one is no mean feat - sounds like they were counting on nobody getting one!

Not a good look

I just saw it on the highlights.....222 yards and he hit a 7i ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I assume the greens are actually in good shape, but they look awful... What's the deal?
I think they had a bad reaction to a heatwave that's just been through the region.
They said the greens roll fine, the brown areas are just burned...
They don't look good though

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think they had a bad reaction to a heatwave that's just been through the region.
They said the greens roll fine, the brown areas are just burned...
They don't look good though

Tony Johnstone in commentary said they had put fertilizer down and it was at the wrong temperature. Not sure if he meant it was too warm so burned the green when the fertilizer took effect or something else. They do look poor though

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
James Wiltshire’s caddying for Steve surry and doing vlogs again. He was saying that the greens are like that because they put fertiliser on them, it didn’t rain as expected and they couldn’t put the sprinklers on due to a power ban, so it’s burnt the grass. Meant to get worse as well.

Imurg

Visit site
With flights from Africa suspended from midday today, how are the Touring Pros, currently in Joburg, going to get home..?
There's 2 more events in SA this year before a break until late Jan.
But are they going to be stuck in SA for Xmas..?:unsure:
Is there a roundabout way they can "Country-hop"?
Those that missed the cut are probably already at the airport or on the way home....

D

Deleted member 1147

With flights from Africa suspended from midday today, how are the Touring Pros, currently in Joburg, going to get home..?
There's 2 more events in SA this year before a break until late Jan.
But are they going to be stuck in SA for Xmas..?:unsure:
Is there a roundabout way they can "Country-hop"?
Those that missed the cut are probably already at the airport or on the way home....
They'll probably be allowed back. Wasn't there a special sportsman exemption to previous travel bans?
I just hope they're bloody careful with testing and isolation.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Alfred Dunhill Championship at Leopard Creek cancelled, SA Open to take place but as a Sunshine Tour event, this week's Joburg event to play to a finish. Some Euro players will stay on, most trying to get home now. Saw Andrew Wilson say he paid £2.5k last year as first reserve and didn't get in and then £4k this year to play one round.

Imurg

Visit site
To be fair they've still got half of the 2nd round to finish...even without the Covid scare it would have been a monday finish at best...

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
James Wiltshire’s caddying for Steve surry and doing vlogs again. He was saying that the greens are like that because they put fertiliser on them, it didn’t rain as expected and they couldn’t put the sprinklers on due to a power ban, so it’s burnt the grass. Meant to get worse as well.
All messed up now I guess. Shame it was good last year.