2021 Professional Golf Thread

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A considerably improved lie?

Could be, but that would be a frequent occurrence in rounds that he plays fine without much problem. Why this time did he decided let’s go embedded route? Could be stress of leading or it was really bad lie that kicked him into it, but likewise if it was a really bad lie it may have given the impression it was embedded. We’ll never know i guess.

On a separate point not sure pressing the ground with your thumb creates an impression of an embedded ball they quickly though.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
And that’s the only doubt that people have - the process he did was correct even if it might have been better for him to ask the referee before moving it but if there was an indent there from his ball or from an old Mark and the referee clarified it then we surely can only take the words of the player and then referee.

I still don’t think someone is that daft to be digging a hole with his fingers to make it out as if there was a indent ?‍♂️

Also if it was someone else would people be arriving at the same conclusion

In hindsight he probably wishes that he called the referee over at the start

No it wasn't. The process was correct if you are making your own judgement and taking the relief. Destroying the lie BEFORE calling the referee over to see what the problem was is not the correct way to go.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Reed never done anything against the rules that is a fact, the only question is do people trust him that he never pushed the ground with his finger to appear the ball was embedded.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
And that’s the only doubt that people have - the process he did was correct even if it might have been better for him to ask the referee before moving it but if there was an indent there from his ball or from an old Mark and the referee clarified it then we surely can only take the words of the player and then referee.

I still don’t think someone is that daft to be digging a hole with his fingers to make it out as if there was a indent ?‍♂️

Also if it was someone else would people be arriving at the same conclusion

In hindsight he probably wishes that he called the referee over at the start
If he called the referee over in the first place he wouldn’t need hindsight.
After what happened recently to him he should have called the ref( his caddie should have helped him out.
In this day and age of scrutiny and social media perhaps all golfers need to be aware of pitfalls.
I bet you if DJ was on sand that looked or didn’t look like a bunker he would be asking for a referee decision to make sure.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont think he jused his thumb to create the indentation, I think he pressed the ball down first.
However, seeing as how the ground was supposed to be so soft there, and the height his ball came in from surely then it would have left a greater and more obvious indent?
Defend him as much as you like, but he is destroying his own integrity amongst his peers, amateur players and spectators alilke.
#zerorespectforreed

D

Deleted member 15344

I dont think he jused his thumb to create the indentation, I think he pressed the ball down first.
However, seeing as how the ground was supposed to be so soft there, and the height his ball came in from surely then it would have left a greater and more obvious indent?
Defend him as much as you like, but he is destroying his own integrity amongst his peers, amateur players and spectators alilke.
#zerorespectforreed

I don’t think many had respect for him anyway because of all the rumours of his college days and the penalty he got for the bunker

The tournament director spoke at the end of the presser

D

Deleted member 1740

This is the problem with being caught cheating and telling lies previously, mud sticks.

When something like this happens people have less sympathy and just assume he’s cheated etc because he’s got previous.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Casey up to 15th in world, MacIntyre provisionally 45th. If they both made the RC team wouldn’t be amazed to see these two together

Swango1980

Visit site
So, to clarify. If your ball is in a bad lie, mark it, pick it up, clean it and then put it back into play with a nice lie. THEN, call over a referee, tell him what you did and explain that the ball was plugged in its original lie. Ref can't disagree as the evidence is destroyed, so takes your word for it and says you followed the correct procedure.

Patrick Reed is a genius. It is like a footballer diving in the penalty box and the ref falling for it, with no VAR to back them up.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not really.
The player is allowed to mark the ball and see if it's embedded.
The issue is how would it be embedded after bouncing and how did the ground get broken.
I'm not saying he can or cannot do this under the rules. All I was saying is that, in this situation generally, Reed has shown that as long as you destroy the evidence and then get a ref to side with you based on your word, all is good. He is an intelligent player, or has learned a lot based on being caught out before.