2021 Professional Golf Thread

D

Deleted member 15344

So going by the rules as they are these days you are

Allowed to take a drop from an embedded ball anywhere on the course

You can take the drop without requiring clarification for a referee or playing partner

So on arriving at his ball he believes it to be embedded he can check and if he believes it’s embedded he can take the drop and carry on

That’s the exact process that it appears Rory did on the 18th and apparently because of the ground and the weather they have had

But what muddied the waters was calling for a referee- why ?

Was he unsure if he had done the right thing
or

Was is still in the mindset that you need the referee to confirm the drop

Or was he covering up

Going through the conversation the referee appears to have no issue with anything that Reed has done

So is it guilty because it’s him or because he did break the rules ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its probably a lack of knowledge of the rules on my part, but why has he picked the ball up before being given relief? That seems a bit of a dodgy thing to do.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So going by the rules as they are these days you are

Allowed to take a drop from an embedded ball anywhere on the course

You can take the drop without requiring clarification for a referee or playing partner

So on arriving at his ball he believes it to be embedded he can check and if he believes it’s embedded he can take the drop and carry on

That’s the exact process that it appears Rory did on the 18th and apparently because of the ground and the weather they have had

But what muddied the waters was calling for a referee- why ?

Was he unsure if he had done the right thing
or

Was is still in the mindset that you need the referee to confirm the drop

Or was he covering up

Going through the conversation the referee appears to have no issue with anything that Reed has done

So is it guilty because it’s him or because he did break the rules ?

He's guilty because he claimed it plugged because it didn't bounce, but it clearly did bounce. I cannot believe that the ball plugged from a height of 2 feet into rough that thick, therefore there is no entitlement to the drop.

If you want a referee to confirm what relief you are entitled to, leave the ball where it is and let him determine it.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you get a range of players from those play it as it lies to others who know the rules and will use them more often and potentially as they think it helps their situation (not cheating). I think Reed is in the latter category.

I reckon this is being made a meal of because it’s Reed. He thought it had embedded, he asked around, he told playing partner, he marked properly then on uncertainty checked and called rules official. Only error could have called official earlier but as mentioned Rory didn’t at all.

The thing is, what does he stand to gain from believing it is embedded unless it is sat so far down it is in a hollow/embbeded/a previous balls landing point i.e it looks to Reed it could be embedded.

There didn’t seem to be any real mud on the ball and we have multiple threads about rough not impacting pros in bomb and gouge era so he’d just hit it on the green. So what did he gain by checking if it clearly wasn’t embedded (I.e sitting ok)?

D

Deleted member 15344

He's guilty because he claimed it plugged because it didn't bounce, but it clearly did bounce. I cannot believe that the ball plugged from a height of 2 feet into rough that thick, therefore there is no entitlement to the drop.

If you want a referee to confirm what relief you are entitled to, leave the ball where it is and let him determine it.

Apparently the rule 16.4 allows him to mark and check if the ball has “broken” the ground , it seems that it only needs to leave an indent for them to get a drop - the same situation happened with Rory on the 18th except Rory just took the drop ? And Golf Channel said it happened to many people over the last couple of days because of the ground ?‍♂️

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Apparently the rule 16.4 allows him to mark and check if the ball has “broken” the ground , it seems that it only needs to leave an indent for them to get a drop - the same situation happened with Rory on the 18th except Rory just took the drop ? And Golf Channel said it happened to many people over the last couple of days because of the ground ?‍♂️

How many balls indent the ground tin grass that thick dropping from 2 feet? I'd suggest that the number is the same shape as the ball, round.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nobody saw that it bounced - except the cameras - so, on the face of it Reed is ok to check if the ball is embedded.
What i don't get is, firstly, if he thinks he's got an embedded ball, like Rory, just get on with it.
Secondly, if you're going to call for a ruling - put the damn ball act so the referee can see what's what.
Probably within the ru,es but the o e person who should be looking to e whiter than white is Reed.
When you've got the kind of form he has you have to expect this kind of reaction.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think he knew he was being a bit dodgy, panicked, and then called over the ref...

This game relies so much on the players being honest and by that token, you would like to think we can just take Reed's word for it that the ball was embedded. But as the camera shows - the ball bounced to a height of no more than a yard, and then went forward no more than a yard or two. When you consider that, it seems highly unlikely that the ball could have embedded, doesn't it?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pa...e-open-pga-tour-official-hero-world-challenge

"The only thing I would have done differently, if we saw the ball bounce or if someone said the ball bounced, then I never would have marked the golf ball," Reed said. "You would have just played it as it lies. You know when the ball bounces it's almost impossible for it to break the plane and so, therefore, when that happens, anytime you see the ball bounce you just play it as it lies.
"But since you have three players, three caddies and a volunteer ... that didn't see the ball bounce, then you obviously are going to go off of that."

The three players & three caddies cannot possibly see it pitch because of where it landed on the shot I saw; if they could see it land, why do they need to ask the volunteer; if they can't see it land, why try to add their weight to the argument that it didn't bounce?

The more you look, the more it stinks for me.

“They [the marshals] said it didn’t bounce,” Reed told the official, “so I checked it and I believe it broke ground. But I want you to make the call.” “What are you talking about?” Fabel asked. “Embedded ball,” Reed said. Of course, by then, the official couldn’t make a clear determination of Reed’s lie. Reed repeated, “It seems like it broke ground, but I want you to double check. They said it didn’t bounce.” Reed poked his finger into an indention in the deep grass and the official also did so to feel if there was a "lip" created by the plugged ball.

The question about Reed’s decision got more interesting when, several minutes after Reed finished the 10th, CBS showed a replay of his approach at the hole, the ball taking a knee-high bounce before settling down, contradicting what Reed said he was told. “I’ve never seen a ball plug on the second bounce,” said CBS analyst Nick Faldo after seeing the replay. CBS anchor Jim Nantz said of the circumstances, “The optics aren’t great.”

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I think you get a range of players from those play it as it lies to others who know the rules and will use them more often and potentially as they think it helps their situation (not cheating). I think Reed is in the latter category.

I reckon this is being made a meal of because it’s Reed. He thought it had embedded, he asked around, he told playing partner, he marked properly then on uncertainty checked and called rules official. Only error could have called official earlier but as mentioned Rory didn’t at all.

The thing is, what does he stand to gain from believing it is embedded unless it is sat so far down it is in a hollow/embbeded/a previous balls landing point i.e it looks to Reed it could be embedded.

There didn’t seem to be any real mud on the ball and we have multiple threads about rough not impacting pros in bomb and gouge era so he’d just hit it on the green. So what did he gain by checking if it clearly wasn’t embedded (I.e sitting ok)?

A considerably improved lie?