2021 Goals/Targets

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely. In 2019 I dropped from 21 to 16, and I'd put that down to the fact that all summer I used to go down once a week and play nine holes in the evening - but dropping another ball or two every time I got a pitch or chip wrong. It was the first time I learned what shots to play from 60 yards, 50 yards, etc.

That's my focus this summer. Played well last two days but from around 80 yards I've pulled wedges left of target into greenside bunkers. You need to a) be hitting greens and b) scaring the hole to at least 10-15 at my level. Can't score well if you can't get close from 80 yards and in.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
What specifically are you going to do to increase your fitness and club head speed?

I was using the super speed sticks but had them on loan, but did 8 weeks worth of training and was seeing an increase from that alone. Since I've had to return them I've moved onto home based workouts, working on explosive moves such as squat jumps as well as press ups, etc. Going to invest a bit more time into that, maybe even get a subscription with someone like Fit For Golf or similar.

D

Deleted member 25172

I was using the super speed sticks but had them on loan, but did 8 weeks worth of training and was seeing an increase from that alone. Since I've had to return them I've moved onto home based workouts, working on explosive moves such as squat jumps as well as press ups, etc. Going to invest a bit more time into that, maybe even get a subscription with someone like Fit For Golf or similar.

I’ve been thinking about speed sticks as well, but just can’t justify spending over £100 for it.
Have also started with explosive moves like you so hope that will pay dividends for this coming season.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So, now we are nearly back allowed out to play have we all adjusted our goals. Lockdown had made me just want to get back out there, but I am setting myself some pretty tough goals.

A big area I have wanted to improve is 100 yards and in, more GIR’s to Atleast give me birdie chances on a regular occasion. Foam ball wedge practise has been going well, so quietly confident.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, now we are nearly back allowed out to play have we all adjusted our goals. Lockdown had made me just want to get back out there, but I am setting myself some pretty tough goals.

A big area I have wanted to improve is 100 yards and in, more GIR’s to Atleast give me birdie chances on a regular occasion. Foam ball wedge practise has been going well, so quietly confident.
Yeah, my new goal is to hope to God and heaven that I can actually hit the ball properly.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Post #2
My thoughts concur.
Many years ago when completing a workplace self assessment/applying for own job thingy, I was asked the question, "Long-term ambition?"
So I wrote, "To keep breathing for as long as possible."
After last 12 months, seems more appropriate now than ever.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1) get CH at my own track down to 7 - current HI is 8.4
2) a board comp would be nice
3) play more golf on more course
4) play a round of golf with my lad
5) enjoy my new clubs - learn how to hit them

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having had a couple of years away from regular golf and being a member, my 2021 ambitions are to play a LOT more golf, hopefully rejoin a club and update my HC.

It was 17 when I left my club but the rules obviously have changed. Not sure how I get that back but it will be interesting.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
When people say. Improve GIR or get better from 100 yards.
What exactly are you setting as targets? How are you measuring this? And are you setting yourself training plans for how to go about making these improvements?

I was looking to set some targets but I'm not sure vuage outcome based targets will be particularly useful.

Looking at the PGA tour stats is interesting. Last season the average proximity to the hole from 100 yards was 32' 10" with the best being 29' 3".

The average GIR per round for the tour was just over 11, with the best being just over 13.

I think I'm more inclined to look at setting a target that will improve these things, but with them not being the specific target. But I'm not sure what that would be.

D

Deleted member 21258

Only goal is playing more fun golf.

Would like to par again over 18 holes this year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When people say. Improve GIR or get better from 100 yards.
What exactly are you setting as targets? How are you measuring this? And are you setting yourself training plans for how to go about making these improvements?

I was looking to set some targets but I'm not sure vuage outcome based targets will be particularly useful.

Looking at the PGA tour stats is interesting. Last season the average proximity to the hole from 100 yards was 32' 10" with the best being 29' 3".

The average GIR per round for the tour was just over 11, with the best being just over 13.

I think I'm more inclined to look at setting a target that will improve these things, but with them not being the specific target. But I'm not sure what that would be.
You can track GIR on apps like Hole 19. But I'm with you - you can hit more greens but 3 putt all of them instead of getting up and down from off the green, and be worse off. So in isolation it doesn't really do much. Things like up and down % are probably a little more useful, but again they don't take the proximity from hole into account. Same as three-putting from 40 feet isn't the same as three-putting from 10 feet. To get any benefit from focussing on stats you have to really dig deep and get bogged down in it really. I track them because Hole 19 does it for me, but I'd be lying if I said I take anything from it that affects my game - it's really just a point of interest.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You can track GIR on apps like Hole 19. But I'm with you - you can hit more greens but 3 putt all of them instead of getting up and down from off the green, and be worse off. So in isolation it doesn't really do much. Things like up and down % are probably a little more useful, but again they don't take the proximity from hole into account. Same as three-putting from 40 feet isn't the same as three-putting from 10 feet. To get any benefit from focussing on stats you have to really dig deep and get bogged down in it really. I track them because Hole 19 does it for me, but I'd be lying if I said I take anything from it that affects my game - it's really just a point of interest.

Back in the day I used two scorecards per round. On one of them I would note locations of shots, which clubs, where I missed fairways/greens, whether I was longer or shorter than planned, number of putts, etc. And then put them all in excel. I didn't really do much with that info other than look and marvel at just how poor my putting was.

Just before lockdown I got a Garmin S60 watch, so that will give me GIR and FIR. I got it more for giving and tracking the yardages than stats. But it will be interesting to see what the stats say even if they are not that useful in isolation.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My best round is 84, I’ve scored in the 80s a few times but generally finish on 90+. I’ll often play well but ruin it with 3-4 extremely bad holes (doubles and triples). My goal is to be more consistent and regularly finish below 90, with a round of 90 being ‘oooh, I’ve had a stinker today’ rather than the norm.

Other than that, we’ve got a golf trip to Spain planned for June, and so I’m hoping we’ve got COVID under control and things are largely back to normal well in advance of that. Desperate from some sun, golf and beers!

What Tim said! :ROFLMAO:

My best is also 84.. Im the same with flirting high 80/ low-mid 90's. Often a huge blow up or two (commonly on the same holes).

Id like to get my HI down to around 12-14 by the end of this year. With 100+ rounds on the cards, thats doable for me I think.

Boomy

Visit site
Fresh back to the game in September 2020 after a 10 year break... my goals for this year are:

1. Stay healthy and as fit as I can.
2. Get a handicap.
3. Get out and enjoy as much golf as possible, whilst keeping the boss happy (the one at home and the one at work)

Really looking forward to links golf at my home club and some parkland golf at my 2nd club. Also really looking forward to meeting new people.

sunshine

Visit site

I find absolute number of putts as a stat tells me nothing about my putting. Probably tells me more about the quality of my chipping or accuracy of my irons.

Putts per GIR is a good stat.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's my focus this summer. Played well last two days but from around 80 yards I've pulled wedges left of target into greenside bunkers. You need to a) be hitting greens and b) scaring the hole to at least 10-15 at my level. Can't score well if you can't get close from 80 yards and in.
Got to focus on that distance myself. Too often careless from this distance with sloppy shots missing green and making things hard for myself - it drives me nuts yet I haven't bothered trying to sort it out. Mind you one reason is that I have been more focussed on not doing an unmentionable from that distance. So anything that isn't one has often been acceptable...

Reactions: AAC